View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
The Death of Warlord? 
Initiate
Initiate

Post The Death of Warlord?
First off, let's keep the teeth gnashing to a minimum. :)
I've been around a few dead CCG's-I may have evn caused the untimely death of some-I don't know. But I do recognize the writing on the wall. I've played SW/ST Decipher, Babylon 5, Wildstorms, WWE, Highlander 8) , L5R- pre Lotus, LOTR, and a ton more...

The reason is, I've noticed similarities (sp) between AEG-Warlord and the other dead games.

1. The long delay between sets. ( This is not always universal as Decipher with SW cranked out sets before they lost the rights to
WOC/Hasbro.)
2. The poor secondary market. It's a collectible card game, and it's health can be measured in secondary sales.
3. Recent changes in brand managers.
4. The selling of the Holiday gift packs. I know this seems trivial, but it seemed more like it's being dumped. DL's/Sealed OL's, Multiple promos foiled and non foiled as well as all the sealed product. I've seen other companies do it.... :cry:

I'm still a geek. Still gonna play.
I still have all my old decks.

But I think I hear the fat lady warming up backstage. :shock:

The ancient Greeks believed that the brain was for cooling the blood. And when I need to cool my blood, don't I use my brain to order a cold beer?
The weather is here. Wish you were beautiful.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:11 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

To be honest man, if that's what she sounds like, she's been warming up for a LONG TIME.

Death of Warlord? This isnt' a Hasbro Game or a WotC game... it's an AEG game, and we do things a bit differently.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 pm
Warlord
Warlord

I swear, if I had a nickel for every time someone posted a "Death of Warlord" thread, I'd be richer than AEG. :roll:

Seriously though, people have been saying the game was dying for about 2 years now. It's still around, and making an online game. It's not a major business, but it will manage. Instead of pointing out the death of it, go buy some packs or something.

And the reason those games mostly failed was because they weren't that great. Warlord is based more on the community than the game, as the SD, OL, DL, and MLs all prove. There are efforts made for people of the game to get together and have fun, not just play the game. Conventions, online games, forums like this one, and DL challenges all help out. The MAIN reason though that Warlord looks dead is because of the replacing of the old players with New. With the retiring of older players, the community is left to be filled by newer people who haven't been to as many cons.

A lack of advertising also causes the game to look dead as you only see it in the card store and online. Never on tv or in a magazine.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Yeah, the 2ndary market is not a judge of how healthy a game is, it's only how competitive it is to pick up playsets of certain cards. Even so called 'ultra rares' aren't that hard to ome by in an AEG game.

Delays are AEG's thing, sadly. It happens. They've had a lot of things going on, a lot of changes.

The brand managers aren't a sign of the game's health either. Todd got shifted to L5R, Mike stepped in to take his place, had to step down due to personal problems, Rich stepped in. Nothing to do with Warlord's health.

As for the holiday gift packs, they had extras of older product laying around and got rid of them. They do it all the time actually.

I have known scholars and shamen. I have seen holymen and madmen. I've conversed with sages and sinners. I've met heroes and villains. And in the end, I wonder, which am I?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

Whats with Zartock being reasonable and making sense lately? :)

I agree... it's been dying now forever according to some people, yet it still keeps going and going. I think interest might wane in some areas, but it increases in others. It's normal.

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:25 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Whats with Zartock being reasonable and making sense lately? :)

I agree... it's been dying now forever according to some people, yet it still keeps going and going. I think interest might wane in some areas, but it increases in others. It's normal.

Maybe it's just dying here............

The ancient Greeks believed that the brain was for cooling the blood. And when I need to cool my blood, don't I use my brain to order a cold beer?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:29 pm
Warlord
Warlord

Apparently one area must die before another begins. NY just started playing in a group, so you're probably feeling the life absorption of it. :)

Hows THAT for making sense?!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Maybe it's just dying here............

Well there's a big difference to the game dying, meaning, it'll stop being supported by the company and no more sets will come out, etc. And then, the game dying in an area.
The game's livelihood in local areas waxes and wanes over time. some areas are doing great right now. some aren't. It's not solely dependant on how healthy the game is doing in a financial sense.

I have known scholars and shamen. I have seen holymen and madmen. I've conversed with sages and sinners. I've met heroes and villains. And in the end, I wonder, which am I?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Location: Not Hell..., but you can see it from here,and on a clear day, the beach!.

I was getting worried again because I hadnt seen a "death of Warlord" post in at least a few weeks. I figured everyone was distracted by promos and Siege's little games and if I just waited long enough, it would come.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I can finally stop worrying.

The Maker

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Did AEG launch another CCG and I miss it?

Most of the time, that's what heralds the death of a non-L5R AEG CCG.

If Warlord were to die, without another AEG Game on tap, then it'd be time to sell your AEG Stock.

I wouldn't worry until AEG launches some new CCG.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Initiate
Initiate

No, not distracted. Just waiting on the POS set.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 pm
n00b
n00b

Post Re: The Death of Warlord?
Punishing1 wrote:
First off, let's keep the teeth gnashing to a minimum. :)
I've been around a few dead CCG's-I may have evn caused the untimely death of some-I don't know. But I do recognize the writing on the wall. I've played SW/ST Decipher, Babylon 5, Wildstorms, WWE, Highlander 8) , L5R- pre Lotus, LOTR, and a ton more...

The reason is, I've noticed similarities (sp) between AEG-Warlord and the other dead games.

1. The long delay between sets. ( This is not always universal as Decipher with SW cranked out sets before they lost the rights to
WOC/Hasbro.)
2. The poor secondary market. It's a collectible card game, and it's health can be measured in secondary sales.
3. Recent changes in brand managers.
4. The selling of the Holiday gift packs. I know this seems trivial, but it seemed more like it's being dumped. DL's/Sealed OL's, Multiple promos foiled and non foiled as well as all the sealed product. I've seen other companies do it.... :cry:

I'm still a geek. Still gonna play.
I still have all my old decks.

But I think I hear the fat lady warming up backstage. :shock:

You forgot 2 really good games that died: Netrunner and On the Edge. And you forgot that ICE lost the rights to LOTR card game, that's why it stopped. Also ICE's LOTR and Decipher's Star Wars still sees tournaments. When Star Wars stopped producing new cards, The tournament committee decided to make Virtual Cards, which changed certain cards to be more productive to the game. They still do this to this day.

But back to the subject, Warlord's not dying, but online stores are not helping the fact to keep Brick and Mortar stores from staying open to play the game. Where I am located, there are 2 stores, neither carry Warlord cause in either store, there is no hard demand for it, since there isn't a high enough player base for Warlord (Yet he does carry L5R since there is a big player base for them). For brick and mortar companies to survive, they have to be able to move the product.

The closest I have to go and pick stuff at is in Orlando, which is a 2 hr drive. I don't mind the drive as long as I get product.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

...what online stores? It's actually pretty hard to find an online store that sells Warlord. At least singles anyway. Those few that do carry it tend to only sell whole boxes or (like Potomac) require an order be so big first.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

Cardhaus sells singles. They have a pretty big collection too.

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:06 pm
Warlord
Warlord

Just because I'm curious

...what online stores? It's actually pretty hard to find an online store that sells Warlord. At least singles anyway. Those few that do carry it tend to only sell whole boxes or (like Potomac) require an order be so big first.

Cardhaus, TOL, AEG site, trade forums. There are ways, they just aren't the most usual ones...

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next