View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jeremiah Uselton, 1980-2013 
Ain't afraid of no ghost!

Post Re: Jeremiah Uselton, 1980-2013
Nihilistiskism wrote:
Navar wrote:
ninjakiller wrote:
I had a thought on the way home from gencon to help his family in some way. I would like to set up an auction donating my personal copy of draxxon the stormbreaker items and actions or karz. 100% proceeds go directly to his family. Sorta a token of thanks from the warlord community to his family. I understand that there really isn't a market for these cards but its somthing. If this is a good idea I would need someone close to him to get the cash to his family aftter action ends. And I will mail out the ml to the winner of the auction.

That being said r.I.p good sir and you will be missed but never forgoten.

I would happily cross promote, and then provide the bank account so additional funds could be deposited.

My plan is to put the account in his nephew's name, and then put myself and 1 other of Jeremiah's friends on the account, and having the funds be there for his nephew when he turns 18.

...just start a trust.

-nihil

^This typically would be more beneficial than a simple bank account.

I get to remind them that a governmental bureaucracy put a man on the moon.

The [Censor: Quack!] moon.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile YIM
Command Staff
Command Staff

Yes.

kthx.

Malexin wrote:
There is a food chain. I am on top of it.

Malexin wrote:
...seed your tomato, for the love of god, seed your tomatoes...

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I haven't met with any financial planners yet, but I do have one.

But yea, that is likely what will happen.

Thanks for the advice though, and I will post more information about the funds as I actually get closer to selling the stuff.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 am
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

There couldnt have been a better guy to represent our community. Ill never forget slamming drinks with him at Archon. RIP buddy.

I won Midnight Madness before it was cool.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

I remember him as a helpful, cheerful, and caring guy. The few times that I met he was always a joy to talk to and play with/against. I wish I had known him better and played with him more.

Rest in peace. You will be extremely missed.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Navar wrote:

Thanks for the advice though, and I will post more information about the funds as I actually get closer to selling the stuff.

I'll tell you frank: I will not participate unless the money is being channeled into a taxes-paid trust fund established with a reputable organization. I'd rather piss and drink away my money than see it gone to shambles under the prelude of a "good cause."

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Nihilistiskism wrote:
Navar wrote:

I'll tell you frank: I will not participate unless the money is being channeled into a taxes-paid trust fund established with a reputable organization. I'd rather piss and drink away my money than see it gone to shambles under the prelude of a "good cause."

That is fair enough. I plan to be completely transparent, but also I don't plan to pressure anyone to participate.

Anything I can do that would make it easier for people to contribute I will of course do.

But anyone who is moved can always donate to the American Cancer Society.

At the end of the day my efforts are simply to turn as much of Jeremiah's property into as much cash as possible for his nephew.

But I will make a graphic that can be put onto eBay auctions, and at the very least we can cross promote to maximize said cash.

My GOAL (at the moment) is to get the auctions up toward the latter part of November.

Edit: I thought about this more today, and I think I may have given people the wrong idea.

I am NOT soliciting. I cannot be more clear than that. IF someone wants to do something personal for the family of Jeremiah, I am not going to stand in their way, BUT at the end of the day what I am doing is giving a small sum of money to an 18 year old "boy" about 14 years from now, no matter how it is set up.

That money may be used as a down payment on a car, or to buy a used car, or for the first month's rent on an apartment, or for college fees and books.

BUT

That money may end up being spent on alcohol and crazy.

I am okay with that because I feel it is a good thing to do, BUT a donation to the American Cancer Society in Jeremiah's name (honestly I am not sure that whose name it is in makes much of a difference) would likely impact more lives.

Like I said, I would like it if other people are involved, so we can cross promote, and maximize our revenues, but I don't want people mailing me checks (for example.)

So yea, let me be clear in case I have mislead people on accident. I am not soliciting. If you want to contribute then I am not going to prevent it, but I am not even really going to encourage it.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 am
Profile YIM
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

You would do the kid more favors to set up a trust fund that pays out a monthly stipend upon his 18th birthday, to be continued until his 25th birthday, or until the funds are depleted, whichever comes first, whereupon the advent of his 25th birthday he gains sole control of the funds, and can withdraw the lump if that is his choice, or choose, instead, to allow the funds to grow in the trust.

IMO.

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Nihilistiskism wrote:
You would do the kid more favors to set up a trust fund that pays out a monthly stipend upon his 18th birthday, to be continued until his 25th birthday, or until the funds are depleted, whichever comes first, whereupon the advent of his 25th birthday he gains sole control of the funds, and can withdraw the lump if that is his choice, or choose, instead, to allow the funds to grow in the trust.

IMO.

-nihil

This sounds like a solid plan. :thumbsup: Of course you should meet with your financial planner to discuss the best options, but you should ask about this.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Shadowmyst wrote:
Nihilistiskism wrote:

IMO.

-nihil

This sounds like a solid plan. :thumbsup: Of course you should meet with your financial planner to discuss the best options, but you should ask about this.

Indeed. Trust payouts can be excruciatingly specific, if the organizers of the trust wish them to be so. They can be set up specifically for, say, college tuition, if you like (though this is a terrible plan). They can be set up specifically to pay the note on a vehicle. Etc.

Thing is, when you hand an 18 year-old kid a bunch of money and say "have fun" they will do just that. If you want the money to be a meaningful contribution to the life of that child, it needs to be managed dutifully, and very, VERY few 18 year-old kids are equipped to be good stewards of money, in that most kids that age have basically existed rent-free, utility-free, expense-free (the basics and necessities...I know a lot of kids "work" for "spending money") for their entire lives.

Why it's better to have a monthly stipend than pay for school directly:

1) "school" is a very nebulous term. Even the most specific of documents will not specifically cover what it means to attend college, i.e. are there limits? Do grades have to be maintained? Is there a cutoff time (4-years, 5-years)? Yadda, yadda...

2) Student loans have the most incredibly generous terms and interest rates of any other kind of loan out there. More than half of the traditional student loan package is allocated in the books for living expenses. Tuition and textbooks, while far from cheap, do not the bulk of the cost of education make. The monthly stipend would ease the burden of living expenses, or gas money, or whatever. Let the kid take out loans like every other damn student, so that when he gets out of school he will know the value of his education: That which we obtain too cheaply, we value too lightly. Between ages 22-25 he'll be getting his life on-track, getting his career up-and-running, etc. but still getting a small monthly stipend, which may help him pay a car note, insurance, or utilities, or rent, but not giving him a free pass to just sit there. The monthly stipend during his college years helped ensure that he didn't go into crushing debt, and the continued stipend during his early twenties will soothe the burden. Come 25 he should have his career started, be making a living wage, and looking to the future. He can withdraw whatever's left and use it towards the downpayment on a house, or pay off more of his student debt to lower his monthly bills, or whatever.

14 years is a good while for money to grow under a watchful eye. By the time the kid starts getting his stipends whatever money you put in there, initially, will have grown by a good margin. I have no doubt that jeremiah's menagerie will bring a good total sum after all is said and done, so this kid could be looking at a generous head start on this [Censor: poo] we call "life."

IF you do it correctly.

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:

Fintago wrote:

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Malexin
DarkGuardian wrote:
sir bonefish wrote:
Jerimiah was one of the kindest and most intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. God bless you my friend.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm shocked and saddened by his passing, but I'm glad to have known him.

RIP Malexin.

Exactly what DG said....great guy.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
Worst Mod Ever
Worst Mod Ever

This is such sad and unexpected news. At the time, he was possibly the player I was having the most prolific exchange of private messages about strategy, decks, etc... we always kept in touch before and after tournaments, he really was great. I still remember when I went to GenCon and he brought me to St.Elmo's. I am quite speechless. Riposa in pace, Jeremiah.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

I apologize for not keeping Europe in the loop. Even when our community is at its tightest I forget how far reaching it is.

Coming home after the funeral I wrote a bit, with the intention of writing thoughts here once the world returned to 'normal'. Well, that was a month ago - and I have slacked enough.

While some can pinpoint where and when they met Jeremiah, I cannot - maybe 2004. It seems that in my big tourney world, Jaeremiah had always been there - and that will make his absence all the more profound.

I would say that I first "met" him here, on this board, as Malexin. Although after meeting him I would instantly translate that to Jeremiah in my head, since that online handle did not measure up to the man that used it. We would collaborate on deck ideas and compete on Warlord's biggest stages. We clashed frequently, both willing and able to travel across the country just to play a game. I believe he was instrumental in my being brought into the design fold - and there our exchange of ideas continued through the Epic and Fourth Edition Arcs.

Jeremiah enjoyed the finest quality food and drink that our mutual travels would offer. He was a booze snob though, and the fact that I had never drank alcohol boggled his mind a bit. One notable year, a mess of us Warlord folks at MidSouthCon (Memphis) went to the Rendezvous (BBQ joint) for dinner. Jeremiah and I must have been reading the menu at the same speed as we went from delighted (five pound skillet of bbq shrimp) to disappointed (need 24 hours pre-order) in moments. We resolved to make one or two skillets happen the next year, but the declining state of the game made that next MidSouthCon a ghost town. Maybe I will just have to make that trip in his honor. Warlord optional. MidSouthCon optional. takers?

When I first found out that Jeremiah was sick, I will admit to not being terribly concerned. To those that did not know him personally, the simply version is: Jeremiah was a truck - a towering countenance of Oklahoma country boy with a banker's brain. I simply had no doubt that he would have been able to beat this cancer. Being so completely wrong fills me with an odd flavor of guilt - that my lack of concern for a dear friend's life was ... flippant. So when, in the middle of GenCon craziness, my phone lit up with Jeremiah's name, I was delighted that I might hear from him, at the show he wanted to attend. I cannot imagine a faster, deeper, and harder emotional drop than the news that followed. All else was trivial.

We drove through the tears and through the night to be there at his service. We had to pay our respects to a man who would have done no less (and likely far more) for us if the situation were reversed.

Many tears were shed - and many will continue to fall, as the loss of such a genuine human delight ripples and echoes through the lives he touched.

Rest In Peace Brother - we will take the next watch.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Kerebrus wrote:
When I first found out that Jeremiah was sick, I will admit to not being terribly concerned. To those that did not know him personally, the simply version is: Jeremiah was a truck - a towering countenance of Oklahoma country boy with a banker's brain. I simply had no doubt that he would have been able to beat this cancer. Being so completely wrong fills me with an odd flavor of guilt - that my lack of concern for a dear friend's life was ... flippant. So when, in the middle of GenCon craziness, my phone lit up with Jeremiah's name, I was delighted that I might hear from him, at the show he wanted to attend. I cannot imagine a faster, deeper, and harder emotional drop than the news that followed. All else was trivial.

This. I didn't talk to him much after GenCon last year because I assumed he'd just rip the cancer out of his body and eat it with a cow that he just butchered himself. We chatted a bit when he was able, but I wish I'd talked to him more often.

I get to remind them that a governmental bureaucracy put a man on the moon.

The [Censor: Quack!] moon.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:34 pm
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I drop by the forums after a looong while to take a look & i see this. :|

Condolences to his family & friends.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next