View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Scribe vs. playing a spell as a regular action 
n00b
n00b

Post Scribe vs. playing a spell as a regular action
Can someone please explain the strategic relevance of using Scribe to attach a spell to a character? Using this feat carries the risk of discarding the spell if you fail to meet the check.

I initially thought it was good card management as you have a hand size of five cards, but the rules say that during the Draw phase, if you have more than five cards in hand, you don't have to discard any (if you decide to keep all your cards, you're simply not allowed to draw any during this phase). So unless I missed something, nothing is really compelling you to attach that Spell.

On the other hand, casting a Spell as an Order does not carry the risk associated with the Scribe feat.

Any input would be very welcome!

Thanks.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Scribe vs. playing a spell as a regular action
It's mostly treated as a way to virtually draw a card. Like you mentioned you draw up to max hand size (typically five cards) at the beginning of the turn. If you had two Spend Order spells that only your Warlord could cast, Embolden or Chain Lightning for example, you can Scribe the other Spend Order spell to save it for later use. How is this virtual draw? Well, if you choose not to Scribe it and draw back up to your maximum hand size, you'll draw one less card if you save the spell for next turn. If you Scribe the spell you will draw the full hand size plus have the spell Scribed to your character so you effectively have access to six cards this turn.

Another use is spell timing. Maybe you draw Fell Blow or Medusan Lord's Gambit or a second Minor Miracle but you aren't ready or able to fire it off yet. You don't have your Vorpal Blade and Light/Glyph of Fate for instance. Then you Scribe the spell to save it for when you need it. Else, like earlier, you're drawing one less card.

There are also some fairly decent cards that involve Scribe checks. Maes, Ring of the Savant, Necklace of Spell Storing all want you to make Scribe checks.

Overall I wouldn't go far out of your way to obtain the Scribe feat (or most any feat), but in most cases having the option to Scribe is a boon, not a useless as you might think.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm
n00b
n00b

Post Re: Scribe vs. playing a spell as a regular action
Thank you very much for the extensive reply, your examples helped me understand some of the finer points of this game!

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]