View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deverenian Faction Focus 
Writer
Writer

Post Re: Deverenian Faction Focus
Nihilistiskism wrote:
How is Barrett Yscar the best level 4 in the game? :shrug:

-nihil

Seriously. He's only level 3...

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Hmmm... having not played Warlord for a while, I haven't been keeping track of 4E very diligently. Having now done a bit of investigating.

Design has seriously messed up, though I'm surprised how early in the format.

A lot of the characters are not balanced within their own faction, let alone anyone else. Compare Kul to Bokos, compare Vex Duntan to Stonefist, compare Barrett to Moira Dunbar...

I guess the only way Devs can keep up is by printing similarly above the curve characters... Bit silly really.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Kyn wrote:
Nihilistiskism wrote:

-nihil

Seriously. He's only level 3...

Well then he's definitely the best level 3 in the game. :P

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't. * Captain of Team Real California Cheese * Denizen of Anything * Order of the Doomed Liver - Strategic Inebriator

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 pm
Profile YIM
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Depends a lot on your definition of "best."

In terms of "raw stats" Barrett is obviously king, but there's a drawback (or two).

1) His items are blanked after he uses his ability. No ATK or AC buffs from items from him, much less cards like Wyvern Gem that allow extra wounds from his strikes

2) Zero abilities (other than the ability to get big and tough). Barrett is definitely good at smashing face, but he has no innate abilities

So, greatly powerful character that any Freek deck that can reasonably field him should probably use? Yes. "Best?" That's seriously debatable.

He's not in my Robert deck. :shrug:

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

devlukelorian wrote:
Dutchess wrote:
Nihilistiskism wrote:

-nihil

He is one of the best, as well as having the support of a strong faction. One of the strongest at the moment, imho.

agreed, though i would say that Kul is better.

BACK ON TOPIC.

i agree with nihil in that we need at least one level four fighter that really makes you say "KILL IT NOW" while it is in the front rank, like barrett, kul, and validan all make you do.

Temur is close, but not quite there yet.

ImageImage

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:02 am
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

TheMightyGoobahfish wrote:
A lot of the characters are not balanced within their own faction, let alone anyone else. Compare Kul to Bokos, compare Vex Duntan to Stonefist, compare Barrett to Moira Dunbar...

I'm confused by this comparison. Are you claiming that one of those is much better then the other within it's faction?

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:07 am
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Having lost more games to Stonefist than Vex, and been more bothered by Moira's defend-and-ready than barret's one extra swing and hp... I hope he's not. :)

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 am
Death of the Daemons
Death of the Daemons

Iceman wrote:
Having lost more games to Stonefist than Vex, and been more bothered by Moira's defend-and-ready than barret's one extra swing and hp... I hope he's not. :)

stonefist >or= vex i agree. Moira is a beast, but unique which is her biggest flaw.

Honestly, i think bokos is a must have in my Setrokh deck. being that he can play your actions from the discard.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Sigh... I think people kind of missed the point.

The point is that the other characters need some kind of support to be effective. Bokos is only really useful in a Fighter-Warlord deck, Stonefist is flimsy enough to need some kind of protection and Moira is Unique and quite niche in purpose.

The other 3 are just beasts by themselves. You don't need to think too hard to include them in a deck. If design were serious about restricting 3HP characters, I would have thought they'd restrict them to meat-wall types of the past where they are limited offensively in exchange for their health defense (e.g. Otho Yscar, Makusog).

As an aside, I would rank Validan > Stonefist. In retrospect Vex is probably the smallest offender in this category being closer to what I'd expect from a 3HP level 4.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

Personally, If I was a Deverenian player and won the top of faction, I'd want to bring back Dllchant Keeper

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:35 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Chaosnake wrote:
Personally, If I was a Deverenian player and won the top of faction, I'd want to bring back Dllchant Keeper

No point, all that would do is just bring the nerf hammer down on him and waste a good open/ancient starter.

I am surprised this thread even exists, it has peaked my interest enough to actually post here again.

I agree with the concerns voiced by most of the players here, I also strongly support the idea towards shifting character focus back to Stormwraiths, the chosen stole planar from us and its about time we got it back. Don't neglect pallies either, moderation in this kind of faction is key and the design has been leaning towards extremes that have left the faction difficult to work with.

Personal quotes:

"Looking for answers to fundamental questions…having little success."

"Communist powers, activate!"

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rikk-tikk-tikki-tikki-tchk!

Personally I think the devs could do very well with an action advantage focus for their cavalry. :)

some ideas:

warlord react: opt per target, after target character spends a steed to move: ready target steed equipped to the target character.

character react:
react: opt after spending a steed to move, or equipping a steed: perform a riding check (dc 20) to move forward one rank.

react: opt per target, after target equal or higher level deverenian paladin performs a melee strike against a non-warlord character: perform a melee strike targeting the same character.

we have the hero now, so that gives the Johan halfblood idea.

probably a bit much, but I think you get the point, do something and get to do another thing because of it. Basically this fixes the main problem of devs which has always been that it takes 5-6 actions to get a higher level character to the front ready, so by the time you get there the opponent is ready to take the character out.

edit: btw, what's the friggin email to send ideas to PI? It's not on the website... wth.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:08 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

siddin wrote:
edit: btw, what's the friggin email to send ideas to PI? It's not on the website... wth.

Dang, and here I thought that as an envoy you guys were keeping Arne aware of player needs/concerns. I figured you would at least have access to all means of communication with him and be able to direct others to that information.

envoy–noun
1. a diplomatic agent.
2. any accredited messenger or representative.

I'm not trying to be belligerant or inflammatory but what is it the envoys do?

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:20 pm

randumbdude wrote:
siddin wrote:

Dang, and here I thought that as an envoy you guys were keeping Arne aware of player needs/concerns. I figured you would at least have access to all means of communication with him and be able to direct others to that information.

envoy–noun
1. a diplomatic agent.
2. any accredited messenger or representative.

I'm not trying to be belligerant or inflammatory but what is it the envoys do?

we're ordo members with a title :rofl:
really though? The last post we got about it was:

What do we do? we show off an envoy badge and complain to arne about not giving us any information on what we are supposed to be doing. Other than the whole "you guys are the voice of the ordo members" bs, considering we can rarely even get a response from him.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm
Spammer Supreme
Spammer Supreme

siddin wrote:
What do we do? we show off an envoy badge and complain to arne about not giving us any information on what we are supposed to be doing. Other than the whole "you guys are the voice of the ordo members" bs, considering we can rarely even get a response from him.

:agree:

Nah Zaxdad is just that good he doesn't even have to post in a thread to win it. :rofl:
-Geoff

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next