View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 am



Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver 
Author Message
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
FlippyDoo wrote:
Kestrel the Deceiver should run more control and illusionist stuff.


Genecourt Initiate x3
Caleb-Alexa
Kestrel the Deceiver

Characters:19
Corinne Drac x3
Okull the Defiant x3
Mariah Blackthorne x2
Ancestral Wraiths x3
Knight of Falun x3
Xaros the Mist x3
Iphigeniax1
The Sable Knight x1

Actions:19
Lordly Might x2
Confoundx3
Viper Whip x2
Incineratex2
Icy Surge x2
Hallucinationx2
Teleportx3
Phantom Steed x3

Items:6
Cloak of the Leech x2
Ring of Vorn x1
Necklace of Spell Storing x2
Smoke Imp x1

There are plenty of other cards that I considered but I felt that this was the way to go. 7 cards that move my higher level characters up faster to use his order. Then shoot with all the order spells. While Cloak of the Leech, Necklace, and Smoke Imp either increase the DC or ranged strike, or scribe it back. I also play 8 illusionists other than Kestrel to spend for Confound. I think another way to make him isHarness the Storm, but im not sure how many wizards the Devs have for that to be somewhat lethal.

How much did you test this build? One of the things I find Wizards struggle with is finishing power. Sure, you can blitz hard and break ranks fast...but can you do 5+ wounds to a 25+AC Warlord?

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm
Posts: 972
Location: Mass
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Oremm wrote:
FlippyDoo wrote:
Kestrel the Deceiver should run more control and illusionist stuff.


Genecourt Initiate x3
Caleb-Alexa
Kestrel the Deceiver

Characters:19
Corinne Drac x3
Okull the Defiant x3
Mariah Blackthorne x2
Ancestral Wraiths x3
Knight of Falun x3
Xaros the Mist x3
Iphigeniax1
The Sable Knight x1

Actions:19
Lordly Might x2
Confoundx3
Viper Whip x2
Incineratex2
Icy Surge x2
Hallucinationx2
Teleportx3
Phantom Steed x3

Items:6
Cloak of the Leech x2
Ring of Vorn x1
Necklace of Spell Storing x2
Smoke Imp x1

There are plenty of other cards that I considered but I felt that this was the way to go. 7 cards that move my higher level characters up faster to use his order. Then shoot with all the order spells. While Cloak of the Leech, Necklace, and Smoke Imp either increase the DC or ranged strike, or scribe it back. I also play 8 illusionists other than Kestrel to spend for Confound. I think another way to make him isHarness the Storm, but im not sure how many wizards the Devs have for that to be somewhat lethal.

How much did you test this build? One of the things I find Wizards struggle with is finishing power. Sure, you can blitz hard and break ranks fast...but can you do 5+ wounds to a 25+AC Warlord?

I was just brainstorming a decklist that could probably do well. However, somethings I have missed in this deck. I know that in my Morghen deck, I included Boomstick, for a big strike that could hit those ACs. I also included Sunderto get rid of items such as G.G. :wink:, BGB etc. The thing that wizards need to do when playing against uber warlords is just blitz them asap, because as early as turn two can they have common blade active and thats when things go down hill.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
FlippyDoo wrote:
I was just brainstorming a decklist that could probably do well. However, somethings I have missed in this deck. I know that in my Morghen deck, I included Boomstick, for a big strike that could hit those ACs. I also included Sunderto get rid of items such as G.G. :wink:, BGB etc. The thing that wizards need to do when playing against uber warlords is just blitz them asap, because as early as turn two can they have common blade active and thats when things go down hill.

Yep, all true. I tried out a Wizard's Duel between Morghen and Kestrel yesterday. Gotta say I was underwhelmed by Kestrel, even with all the cancellation of strikes. Any deck that can ignore Kestrel's Proxy and shoot past it into the 2nd rank will eat his lunch. Probably need to run Fylgia to hold rank 2.

EDIT: Ring of Ice is the spicy Jank you've been looking for in Kestrel. Here's what I'm currently thinking (based on above + testing from last night):

3x Initiate
Caleb/Alexa
Kestrel

3x Mariah
3x Corinne
3x Okull
3x Ghed Headrix
3x Fylgia
1x Batman
1x Evon
1x Mamma D

3x Lightning Bolt
3x Heaven's Wrath
3x Ball Lightning
3x Incinerate
2x Conjure Storm
2x Confound
2x Sunder

2x Cloak of the Leech
2x Ring of Vorn
1x Heart of Embers
1x Ring of Ice
1x Darkwood Staff
1x Smoke Imp

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 pm
Posts: 972
Location: Mass
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Ring of Ice does seem really good. Is Lordly Might a bad card that I think would be good?

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
I think Lordly Might would work if you were dealing enough damage with your army, but I didn't find that to be the case against decks with any kind of speed to them...which is a lot of the field currently.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
I guess I have to take it back about being underwhelmed? Kestrel took 2nd place in CT :lol:

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Mon May 07, 2012 1:20 pm
Profile
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 6753
Location: Order of the Doomed Legion
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
curious what that deck was running.
my versions of Kestrel have all gone 3x Phantom steed, no better control when you have a front rank character "casting" it.

_________________
Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)


Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Bunch of Devs, bunch of spells? I'll ask Dre.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm
Profile
Death of the Daemons
Death of the Daemons
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 2053
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Kestrel may have seemed underwhelming against morghen cause morghen is still amazing. Personally i don't play the control illusionist cards and just use the proxy to play my lollerskates from a distance. Any spell plus a level 3 first hand= ranged shot from rank 3. I have had more success with the Conjure storm focused deck. Burning heart+cloak of the leech+Conjure Storm=quick ranged pain at a decent bonus

_________________
CUMQUAT!


Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 am
Profile
Death of the Daemons
Death of the Daemons
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 2053
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
My deck for the Chicago "winter" campaign. Got 2nd place, and was about 1-2 rolls off first.

Kestrel The Deciever
Alexa Genecourt Caleb the shifter
Genecourt initiate x3

Corinne Drac X3
Beast Knight x3 (woulda been knight of falun if i had any)
Sable Knight
Mother Dianne
Cardinal Scelus
Mariah Blackthorne x3
Okull the Defiant x3
Ancestral Wraiths x3
Numal il Maliq
Iphigenia (one of the proxies i switched out last minute. Would have been green hag, but after the tourney ill probably make her and numal into Knight of falun keeping beast knight)

lordly might x3
viper whip x3
incinerate x2 (couldn't find a third XD)
conjure storm x3
Phantom Steed x3
Icy Surge x3
Heart of Embers
Cloak of the Leech x2
ring of vorn x2
camel x2
Necklace of spell Storing x1
Detonate (MVP vs chase XD Was thrown in last minute to replace a proxy and as a joke. Worked out nicely the 3 times i played it)

Overall the sheer amount of shutdown in the deck kept me in most games no matter how bad things looked. After the tourney i see a few switches id make. Namely the dropping of lordly might for tsunami or meteor swarm[/quote]

_________________
CUMQUAT!


Sun May 13, 2012 12:06 am
Profile
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 668
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
No Waking Terrors in any of these lists? :pirate:

_________________
Image

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War


Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
lastdragon21 wrote:
No Waking Terrors in any of these lists? :pirate:

Wounds > push-back, generally.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am
Profile
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 668
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
No Waking Terrors in any of these lists? :pirate:

Wounds > push-back, generally.


True, but the advantage of having Phantom steeds, and such great disruption cards at kestrel's disposal should be taken advantage of. "Speed and disruption are a powerful combination", my Warlord mentor Derrick would say. A deck without heavy hitting characters has to be fast. 3x Xarost, 2x Cardindl Scelus should be the standard in every Dev deck, as they have the best character base movement in 4E. Let Kestrel do the disrupting and your dudes blitz under the opportunities provided by such. That's how I would do it.

_________________
Image

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War


Fri May 18, 2012 11:45 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4823
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
No Waking Terrors in any of these lists? :pirate:

Wounds > push-back, generally.


True, but the advantage of having Phantom steeds, and such great disruption cards at kestrel's disposal should be taken advantage of. "Speed and disruption are a powerful combination", my Warlord mentor Derrick would say. A deck without heavy hitting characters has to be fast. 3x Xarost, 2x Cardindl Scelus should be the standard in every Dev deck, as they have the best character base movement in 4E. Let Kestrel do the disrupting and your dudes blitz under the opportunities provided by such. That's how I would do it.

Seems pretty good - but can it beat the FreeKs at their own game (Selai/Rolando) ?

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Fri May 18, 2012 7:54 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: In ur base, killing ur doods!!!
Post Re: The Deverenians of 4E: Kestrel the Deceiver
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:

True, but the advantage of having Phantom steeds, and such great disruption cards at kestrel's disposal should be taken advantage of. "Speed and disruption are a powerful combination", my Warlord mentor Derrick would say. A deck without heavy hitting characters has to be fast. 3x Xarost, 2x Cardindl Scelus should be the standard in every Dev deck, as they have the best character base movement in 4E. Let Kestrel do the disrupting and your dudes blitz under the opportunities provided by such. That's how I would do it.

Seems pretty good - but can it beat the FreeKs at their own game (Selai/Rolando) ?


Waking Terrors has the potential to slow Fighter decks to a crawl. Its really good if you have to build.

I think 3x Xaros needs to be in every Dev deck as well. He's too strong not to include.

_________________
Team Dodo!!
DWCATST


Sat May 19, 2012 3:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.