View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Aridun's Gargoyles 
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

Post Aridun's Gargoyles
For the longest time, this game of Warlord has been losing its attractiveness to me. Frankly, it just hasn't been fun anymore. Everywhere I look, the ultra-competitive mindset has been winning out, and it seems like no one just plays for fun anymore.

When I went to GenCon this year, it was with the notion that I was going to give the game a last chance, see if it was possible for me to recapture some of that old-school fun I used to have with it; and thanks to Aridun - with the help of Cardinal of Pain, AshGaidin, Ablungitis, Hedge, Lord_McFist and others - I've found that again.

This is the deck that did it.

Aridun Open Gargoyles (62 Cards)
Starters (6 cards):
1 Aridun of Stone
1 Opal Gargoyle
2 Serpentscale Gargoyle
2 Lightstone Gargoyles

Characters (24 cards):
3 Black Sand Gargoyle
3 Athril Gargoyle
3 Limestone Gargoyle
3 Lodestone Gargoyle
3 Nilrem (PS)
3 Brass Gargoyle (PS)
3 Feldspar Gargoyle
2 Earth Elemental
1 Slate Gargoyle

Items (11 cards):
2 Sjonegaard's Mace
1 Staff of Kizazi
1 The Cardinals' Blessing
2 Symbol of Kor
1 Signon's Armor
1 Nodwick
1 Bascarite Mark
1 Rod of Stone
1 Tome of Champions

Actions (21 cards):
3 Summon Gargoyle
3 Ironhall's Rise
3 Ironhall's Reach
3 Ironhall's Fury
3 Cure Lethal Wounds
3 Mass Blessing
3 Mentorship

Notes: This deck is a theme deck and nothing but. It utilizes Athril abuse via Limestone- and Aridun-search, and the Ironhall actions and buffing foolishness of a variety of sorts as its win mechanism. The deck gets out and recycles Gargoyles in a strong, straightforward manner. Sometimes takes a while to establish your position, but you can bring a veritable "avalanche" of gargs against an opponent. Aridun has a very old-school feel to this old man, and I simply love the warlord. I don't know if he'll ever be competitive, though I do see quite a bit of potential; but it's of no never-mind to me - he's just fun, through and through!

Sometime later, I tend to study this deck and the card selection a bit better, and see about transforming this deck into the Epic format.

Good times! :dwarf:

Doctorfuzion wrote:
I just shut it down. It's got flaming bad juju written all over it.
CCP Mitnal wrote:
And there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth and great loss of forum posting rights

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: Aridun's Gargoyles
I know we discussed the deck over the awesome dinner tracy, are you going to try to add in the rouse and ishara? I like ishara more than the mace but thats just me. ^,^

Btw the bill will be posted tonight in my gencon report.

Contact me on Aim anytime for a game on AppRentice

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:06 pm
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

.:Psy:. wrote:
I know we discussed the deck over the awesome dinner tracy, are you going to try to add in the rouse and ishara? I like ishara more than the mace but thats just me. ^,^

There's probably not much doubt that Ishara will appear in the Epic version, at the least. Rouse ... maybe. Only maybe. I'm really committed to this being a Gargoyle-themed deck, Jamie, to the maximum possible extent - and the lack of items and actions (and dungeons) which directly impact this in the current environment militate to being faithful in the character portion of the list. Besides, there are excellent gargoyles littered in Epic. The question is whether I start going a bit lower to make Aridun more efficient (and I may explore that as a separate thought toward Aridun's competitiveness) or keep it working the higher level stuff.

EDIT: BTW ... don't let my old-school prejudices stop you from exploring and posting up with those thoughts, Jamie. If you want to add a deck list doing so in this topic, then by all means! And we'll check it out and give further thoughts ...

Quote:
Btw the bill will be posted tonight in my gencon report.

Excellent. Make sure we know where; it needs to be broadcast in the Order forums at the least.

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:
And there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth and great loss of forum posting rights

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

tMmM wrote:
Quote:
For the longest time, this game of Warlord has been losing its attractiveness to me. Frankly, it just hasn't been fun anymore. Everywhere I look, the ultra-competitive mindset has been winning out, and it seems like no one just plays for fun anymore.

When I went to GenCon this year, it was with the notion that I was going to give the game a last chance, see if it was possible for me to recapture some of that old-school fun I used to have with it; and thanks to Aridun - with the help of Cardinal of Pain, AshGaidin, Ablungitis, Hedge, Lord_McFist and others - I've found that again.

Well if you are looking for someone that plays just for fun you should try contact me :D .
I only play for fun now, (not because I'm not capable of otherwise :roll: ) and I will continue like this, even with the OL tournament helding next week. :thumbsup:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 pm
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

ILLUVATAR85 wrote:
Well if you are looking for someone that plays just for fun you should try contact me :D. I only play for fun now, (not because I'm not capable of otherwise :roll: ) and I will continue like this, even with the OL tournament helding next week. :thumbsup:

Maybe sometime, IL, time and schedules allowing. But really, what made this effort truly fun was also sitting across from those guys and engaging in a bit of banter.

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Tracy do u memba what deck we were talking about concering isle of madness? I was looking threw my cards and i saw it, and was like didnt we come up wit a cool idea for it, but for the life of me i cant memba it lol

Contact me on Aim anytime for a game on AppRentice

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:22 am
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

.:Psy:. wrote:
Tracy do u memba what deck we were talking about concering isle of madness? I was looking threw my cards and i saw it, and was like didnt we come up wit a cool idea for it, but for the life of me i cant memba it lol
I'm not sure, Jamie, I'll have to think about it. Might've been 6-man something, because that has potential to be hurt a lot less than most decks by this card, but it might also have had to do with dungeon manipulation decks. Eh ... not sure.

Anyway, give me a PM when you have a chance. I think we need to talk about a few things.

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

I'd drop the Tome of Champions (not sure why you're running that) for a second Bascarite Mark. You definitely want that out for Mentorship/Mass Bless. Have you considered BBYW, Calling Back Souls or I Call On Your Power?

Yes, this deck makes me feel tingly too.

Ditto.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 pm
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

WhiteManX wrote:
I'd drop the Tome of Champions (not sure why you're running that) for a second Bascarite Mark. You definitely want that out for Mentorship/Mass Bless. Have you considered BBYW, Calling Back Souls or I Call On Your Power?

James, first, keep in mind this was by no means a tweaked deck ... and some of the card choices were because that was what was to hand. Now, that said ...

Tome of Champs was NOT my original card choice. I really wanted Tome of Memory, but of course those were tied up in Rosenberg's decks (we have a playset ... but that's a power rare, and playing in tourney gave him dibs - meaning Tracy's SOL).

I did consider BBYW ... but not the other two. ICoYP does rate a "D'oh!" on my part, though, because that's a tailor-made garg readying card, and that's what this deck is all about. I might throw that in for Cure Lethal, which never got used (although it still is really good) or maybe for a combination of things.

Quote:
Yes, this deck makes me feel tingly too.

It reminds a body of old school, doesn't it? It sure as hell had that feel to me, and I just enjoyed playing it whether I was getting shmucked or not. It felt just like the good old days. (I think Zebrowski will testify to that, too, although you'd have to ask him - unless he pops in here and puts in the word.)

I really wish Mark would take a look at it; I know he'll think so, and we could probably get some really interesting thought going.

I also still need to convert it over to pure Epic ... but I really think it'll lose a lot of its fun with that. :sigh: Way it goes, I guess.

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Initiate
Initiate

no matter how I try...I cannot seem like like anything but the New Gargoyles Artwork
I think he is crap-ola

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

beverlytucker wrote:
no matter how I try...I cannot seem like like anything but the New Gargoyles Artwork
I think he is crap-ola

Freedom of thought and expression is allowable. ;)

I would never claim Aridun is a world-beater; however, he is far from "crap-ola." Any time you can, as a non-spend react, translate a dead character immediately into a live and kicking one, you have A Good Thing (c).

"You just killed that stunned Brass Gargoyle with two wounds on it? Cool! Let me just reveal the top ten cards of my deck - oh, is that an Athril Gargoyle? Okay, you can face that. So it's my turn? Since Aridun didn't have to spend, I'll just use this little Mentorship I have sitting in my hand ..."

Aridun is plenty playable. He's not Tier 1 nor probably even 1.5, but he isn't Tier 1000, either. And he can be a ton of fun.

In that respect, he gets :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me! :)

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

tMmM wrote:
It reminds a body of old school, doesn't it? It sure as hell had that feel to me, and I just enjoyed playing it whether I was getting shmucked or not. It felt just like the good old days.

Back, for me at least, when everything was new and exciting. I started playing around the release of Betrayal; not "old school" but I ain't a newbie. Lately, I haven't been playing. I've been two maybe two tourneys in the last year and a half. Between working weekends at the radio station, limited money and City of Heroes, Warlord's sorta fallen off my radar.

Seeing this deck reminds me of the times I used to really enjoy playing. Yaw Superfriends, Uber Xod, Byaal Uber-Magma swinging +65/+65 thanks to Blue Jaspers and Cobalts. I haven't played lately, so I don't know what would be auto-include for certain decks anymore, but I remember putting together cleric decks Pre-CE. 3x Mass Bless, 3x Meet, 3x Prince Alaric, 3x Avatar of Kor, 3x Toren.

:sigh: Those were the days.

Ditto.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:45 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

tMmM wrote:

This is the deck that did it.

Aridun Open Gargoyles (62 Cards)
Starters (6 cards):
1 Aridun of Stone
1 Opal Gargoyle
2 Serpentscale Gargoyle
2 Lightstone Gargoyles

Characters (24 cards):
3 Black Sand Gargoyle
3 Athril Gargoyle
3 Limestone Gargoyle
3 Lodestone Gargoyle
3 Nilrem (PS)
3 Brass Gargoyle (PS)
3 Feldspar Gargoyle
2 Earth Elemental
1 Slate Gargoyle

Items (11 cards):
2 Sjonegaard's Mace
1 Staff of Kizazi
1 The Cardinals' Blessing
2 Symbol of Kor
1 Signon's Armor
1 Nodwick
1 Bascarite Mark
1 Rod of Stone
1 Tome of Champions

Actions (21 cards):
3 Summon Gargoyle
3 Ironhall's Rise
3 Ironhall's Reach
3 Ironhall's Fury
3 Cure Lethal Wounds
3 Mass Blessing
3 Mentorship

Notes: This deck is a theme deck and nothing but. It utilizes Athril abuse via Limestone- and Aridun-search, and the Ironhall actions and buffing foolishness of a variety of sorts as its win mechanism. The deck gets out and recycles Gargoyles in a strong, straightforward manner. Sometimes takes a while to establish your position, but you can bring a veritable "avalanche" of gargs against an opponent. Aridun has a very old-school feel to this old man, and I simply love the warlord. I don't know if he'll ever be competitive, though I do see quite a bit of potential; but it's of no never-mind to me - he's just fun, through and through!

Sometime later, I tend to study this deck and the card selection a bit better, and see about transforming this deck into the Epic format.

Good times! :dwarf:

I know that I am bringing this WAY back...but this looks fricking awesome. I NEED to build it :)

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm
Profile YIM
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

Hopefully, not too many folks will pass out from my doing this ... :hypnotized:

Nigel wrote:
I know that I am bringing this WAY back...but this looks fricking awesome. I NEED to build it :)

Although necromancy is a bonehead (aka Elf) thing, that's alright. :thumbsup:

It was a ton of fun. So Nigel, did ya build it yet? What'd ya think? :?:

Doctorfuzion wrote:
CCP Mitnal wrote:

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Look and this. We have our fearful Dwarf leader back and checking the TOL!!
Welcome back :)

I did put it together (after some card help from Slugman - really good card selection for sale) and it was fun as heck.
There were a couple of cards that I tweaked (the level 3 summonses Gargoyle seem d to be a waste to my mind and found casting the Level 6 Spell a little hard) but outside that it was fun. As you said it was a little slow initially but once it gets going it’s statying power is strong. My starting line up may also be weak as I’m missing the ones you listed and just had to work with Tarpit Gargoyle.
Recycling Gargoyles using the Hammer just made me giggle after so much energy was used to kill them in the first place.

Only got to play one game with my buddy because I’d put together 8 nex decks to try out that night. Hoping to get another chance to play tonight as his work schedule is finally slowing down (stupid real life interrupting Warlord time).

I’ll let you know more after I have a chance to play it four or five times.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next