View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Hethrhod Aialla+Sharkskin Gargoyle+The True Word= Merry Xmas 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Hethrhod Aialla+Sharkskin Gargoyle+The True Word= Merry Xmas
First things first, I wish you guys had a Merry Christmas and also are going to have a Happy New Year 2019. :)

And before this year ends, I wanted to submit a deck that I had in my mind for quite a while and now with the Christmas season, I had the time to sit down and compile in in front of me.

I have not playtested it yet, but any and all critique is encouraged.

Here it is.

Cards: 62

Starting Line

3x Dread
2x Demented
1x Hethrhod Aialla

Characters

2x Stockpile
2x Drea Nexus
3x Nilrem
3x Nepheline Gargoyle
3x Sharkskin Gargoyle
3x Black Sand Gargoyle
3x Limestone Gargoyle
2x Magma Gargoyle
2x Alloy Gargoyle
1x Lava Gargoyle
1x Door to the World

Items

3x The True Word
3x Ring of Vorn
2x Ring of the Savant
1x Sjonegaard's Mace
2x The Cardinals' Blessing
1x Kor's Banner
2x Camel
1x Necklace of Spell Storing

Actions

2x I call on your power
2x Summon Gargoyle
2x Invocation of Steel
2x Forewarning
2x Reflect
2x Prolong the Fight
2x Cauterize
2x Blessed Ground

This is it all, like I said, I have not test run it, yet, so all the critique is welcome and encouraged.
In any case, let me explain my rationale here.

For starting armies, I chose Dread and Demented specifically because they synergize too well with one another, and it makes my first round a bit hastier on an otherwise slow deck.
Turn goes on, Dread spends to go backwards and deliver a range strike bringing Demented forward, and since both a cleric, a wizard and a rogue are play, Demented get's the best of his ability.

Now, the strategy of this deck is pretty aparent.

Equip Aialla and another cleric (Nilrem, Dread Nexus, Nepheline Gargoyle) with The True Word and a Cardinal's Blessing, bring a Sharkskin Gargoyle adjacent to them, and start buffing up my army, if all things go well, we are looking at a +24 ATK/AC bonus and a +30 skill bonus on all the characters I have in play at the bare minimum.

Stockpile is there to allow me to equip TTW and/or recharge Cardinal's Blessing by giving it to me one more time, and also to counter the all-so common Wand of Negation and some other item-hating actions.

Nepheline Gargoyle and Limestone Gargoyle are there to help my deck trim it's fat with their char/item searching ability.

The rest are there to be killers, the main purpose of this deck is to make everyone in my playing field a killing machine.

As for items, with two Stockpile's you can put one of them in rank 2, one of them in rank 4 and with Ring of Vorn's equipped to them and Aialla, you can speed up your army, couple with Camel's ability and this deck that starts slow becomes an avalance as the turns go by.

As per actions, most of them are here to help make the best of Aialla's first react as well as helping thin the deck even further for me, by searching for items and characters, making it slimmer than it appears to be at first glance.

Blessed ground is there to help both with the killer combo and with readying Kor's Banner and the Mace for even more recursion.

From the outside, this deck is fun because it focuses on what Dwarven deck do: building, readying, buffing their army, keeping the army alive.

Of course it has a lot of glaring weaknesses.

-Any blitzing army that manages to get more than 7 strikes in the first turn more than likely destroys it before it gets the momentum it needs.
-Any forced moving deck also destroys this deck by disallowing it to execute it's combo properly.
-Item hate decks also kill it on the run.
-Infinity's Edge also is a card that profoundly wounds or even kills this deck.
-A well-placed Exhaustion and Twhart also block this deck from doing what it can do.

Some other cards that I was thinking of adding was:

Magic Shop to get more of my item spending.
one last time it synergizes well with Lava Gargoyle and Nepheline Gargoyle.
Lightning Bolt it can come from nowhere and really hurt an unprepared deck.
Blessings of Granite for this +1 HP.
Dusty Shelves does not much but allows a 3rd level cleric putting on The True Word on Rank 3, speeding the process and synergizes well with Sjonegaard's Mace.
Holy Might for some targeted healing and boosting

And that ends that. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :)

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:29 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Hethrhod Aialla+Sharkskin Gargoyle+The True Word= Merry
What are you using to ready The True Word? All I see is two Blessed Ground and stockpile...

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Manticore wrote:
What are you using to ready The True Word? All I see is two Blessed Ground and stockpile...

That, with two Stockpile's and a TTW in anotehr person I can do this ability 4 times per turn, in the slightest.

I thought about to add Magic Shop for more targeted weapon readying, as I don't think there are more cards that do so with your other items that do not have any bold traits (weapon, shield, etc.) and I would need to run level-upping actions to use Red Prisken.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:51 pm
n00b
n00b

I always liked to make those bonuses permanent and bumped them up with baskarite mark and baskerons favor

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I guess my question/point is, for that to happen, your opening hand needs to be pretty set from the start of the game, and even when you do, the economy of action to get all this rolling looks extremely poor. You're talking about what, 4 actions to start the ball rolling? Play The True Word, play Sharkskin Gargoyle, move said Gargoyle gorward, spend The True Word? And that's giving you a whole +3 ATK, AC, and Skill? You're vulnerable to even non-blitz decks in terms of speed and the gain off of doing all this is generally inferior to a single Mass Blessing or Lift Up Your Voices...

I don't know, there are only a few match ups where it feels like you need anything close to the level of ATK buff you're describing and when you do Byaal seems much more efficient because he doesn't need a deck stuffed with things like Blessed Ground or Stockpile.

That said, if it works for you, awesome!

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Manticore wrote:
I guess my question/point is, for that to happen, your opening hand needs to be pretty set from the start of the game, and even when you do, the economy of action to get all this rolling looks extremely poor. You're talking about what, 4 actions to start the ball rolling? Play The True Word, play Sharkskin Gargoyle, move said Gargoyle gorward, spend The True Word? And that's giving you a whole +3 ATK, AC, and Skill? You're vulnerable to even non-blitz decks in terms of speed and the gain off of doing all this is generally inferior to a single Mass Blessing or Lift Up Your Voices...

I don't know, there are only a few match ups where it feels like you need anything close to the level of ATK buff you're describing and when you do Byaal seems much more efficient because he doesn't need a deck stuffed with things like Blessed Ground or Stockpile.

That said, if it works for you, awesome!

You are not wrong, this deck is slow, but my rationale with it was to make it short of like a snowball effect, with two The True Words, a tough to make it set, but when you start rolling it, is really hard to stop it, I have not yet played it, so I will reserve judgement but that was my intention, if it does not work I will gladly switch to Byall like you suggested, thank you for the info.

Will keep you all updating.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:43 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Yeah post a report on what you played it against and how it did. I'd be interested in seeing how it fares.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]