View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Ascension 
Warlord
Warlord

Post Ascension
http://ascensiongame.com

Seriously, this game is GREAT. We demoed it at Gencon, and immediately bought a box as soon as our demo game ended. It is a completely inclusive card game, functioning like many boardgames by having everything you'll need to play in the box. The main difference being that you play with the same deck as everyone else, buying new cards from the main 200 or so card deck for your own deck use during the game. The best part is, the entire set (Cards, 200 sleeves for the deck + 50 additional sleeves as backups, the play board which you can technically play without, and a smaller travel sized box) cost us $60 total. One set is enough for 2-4 players. If you have friends that like games, I suggest you split this one with them. Especially since it is so simple to play.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson

Post Re: Ascension
Ya, I saw a ton of people playing it all weekend...what IS it? Is it a non-collectible tabletop game like Dominion or is it going to have an organized play structure like a ccg?

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:18 am
Profile YIM
Big Friendly Giant
Big Friendly Giant

I read the rules and it sounds a lot like Thunderstone, which already is a Dominion ripoff.
That is not a bad thing, as Dominion is pretty easy, Thunderstone developed the dungeon crawling aspect and this one seems to be even more interactive and with more action.

I might check it out

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:03 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Warlord
Warlord

Well, I never played either of those but I do recall them mentioning Dominion having a small influence over it when some guy brought it up. All the info is on the website, it's pretty straightforward.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

AragornRoR wrote:
Ya, I saw a ton of people playing it all weekend...what IS it? Is it a non-collectible tabletop game like Dominion or is it going to have an organized play structure like a ccg?

Right now, I think it's a non-collectible tabletop game with cards. Talking to the designers there, sounded like they are just going to have play days in stores where you can get promo cards that get added to the deck.

Everybody starts with the same 10 card deck, and then there's the 200 card library that is like the community deck. 6 cards are always face up in the center line. You take turns going around the table buying cards to build up your deck using Ruins (think mana), and then use Power to defeat monsters to gain Honor points. The idea is to get the most honor points at the end of the game.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

I just looked at Thunderstone and Dominion - it's very similar to those games, but this one has a different theme and is a lot more simpler/straightfoward.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am

NirvanaTool wrote:
I just looked at Thunderstone and Dominion - it's very similar to those games, but this one has a different theme and is a lot more simpler/straightfoward.

Seems fairly difficult for it to be simpler than Dominion. :shrug:

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 pm
Profile YIM
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

AragornRoR wrote:
NirvanaTool wrote:

Seems fairly difficult for it to be simpler than Dominion. :shrug:

Well, then try it out and see for yourself :)

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I will, but I'm still @ the Mariott right now, dork. :pirate:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile YIM
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

AragornRoR wrote:

Well, who's fault is that?

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile YIM
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

Draven wrote:
AragornRoR wrote:

Well, who's fault is that?

Bingo! :D

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:17 am
FreeK Puppeteer
FreeK Puppeteer

I'm not a huge fan of Rob Doughrety...he is notorious for mismanaging a number of high level Magic events in the southern New England area...and he has had a hand in several failed game publishing ventures; there does seem to be a lot of positive buzz around this game.

Arven wrote:
So, yes, Warlord was is done "unprofessionally".

------------
magicsaleman wrote:
:shrug:

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 pm
Warlord
Warlord

bonefish wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Rob Doughrety...he is notorious for mismanaging a number of high level Magic events in ten southern New England area...and he has had a hand in several failed game publishing ventures; there does seem to be a lot of positive buzz around this game.

Examples?

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
FreeK Puppeteer
FreeK Puppeteer

Rayzer730 wrote:
bonefish wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Rob Doughrety...he is notorious for mismanaging a number of high level Magic events in ten southern New England area...and he has had a hand in several failed game publishing ventures; there does seem to be a lot of positive buzz around this game.

Examples?

Any large scale Magic event (including prereleases & regionals) around the mid 90s. As for games...the most recent is Epic TCG (http://www.epictcg.com/). There have been others.

He does tend to surround himself people more talented than he...so it may well be that he's just the money behind Ascension as opposed to providing creative input.

Arven wrote:
So, yes, Warlord was is done "unprofessionally".

------------
magicsaleman wrote:
:shrug:

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 am
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

bonefish wrote:

He does tend to surround himself people more talented than he...so it may well be that he's just the money behind Ascension as opposed to providing creative input.

According to the credits, Rob Doughrety is the "Project Management Lead" :lol: That may not be good thing with what you're saying :?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next