View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Ascension 
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

Post Re: Ascension
Rayzer730 wrote:
LMAO What does that make Jared?

Angry

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:07 pm
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson

NirvanaTool wrote:
Rayzer730 wrote:

Angry

I read this post in the voice of Chris Farley at the end of this clip.

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm
Profile YIM
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

AragornRoR wrote:
NirvanaTool wrote:
Rayzer730 wrote:

Angry

i miss chris farley.

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile YIM

Same.

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
Ain't afraid of no ghost!
Ain't afraid of no ghost!

AragornRoR wrote:
NirvanaTool wrote:
Rayzer730 wrote:

Angry

This may come as a surprise, but I never saw that before. :thumbsup:

I get to remind them that a governmental bureaucracy put a man on the moon.

The [Censor: Quack!] moon.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:43 pm
Profile YIM

Glad to have provided a bit of education :)

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm
Profile YIM
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

NirvanaTool wrote:
Nihilistiskism wrote:
Rayzer730 wrote:
How the eff do they decide that having a new set for their main gencon event is STILL a good idea when the last one JUST CAME OUT?

No, no...how the eff do people consider Ascension a game for tournament play? :shrug:

-nihil

Because there is skill in the game. I'm living proof.

I'd argue that you're just lucky in how the cards drop and draw. I've played ascension a lot and I just see no strategy whatsoever beyond candyland strategery. It would probably stump G.W., but your average 5-year old can pick up the more "complicated" nuances of Ascension.

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

Nihilistiskism wrote:
NirvanaTool wrote:
Nihilistiskism wrote:
Rayzer730 wrote:
How the eff do they decide that having a new set for their main gencon event is STILL a good idea when the last one JUST CAME OUT?

No, no...how the eff do people consider Ascension a game for tournament play? :shrug:

-nihil

Because there is skill in the game. I'm living proof.

I'd argue that you're just lucky in how the cards drop and draw. I've played ascension a lot and I just see no strategy whatsoever beyond candyland strategery. It would probably stump G.W., but your average 5-year old can pick up the more "complicated" nuances of Ascension.

-nihil

Top 8 finish in GenCon two years ago, lost to the guy who technically won if he didn't accidentally put back a red gem into the pool.. Top 4 GenCon last year losing to the winner. Top 8 iOS championship losing only to a Top 4 participant in Swiss and losing Top 8 to Dave Williams (poker pro). All those tournaments had 120+ players.

... If I'm lucky like you said, I should be playing roulette instead.

There is plenty of strategy - maybe at GenCon we'll play a fun game and show you what I mean. It's easier for me to show you while playing than explaining it in text

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:13 pm
Warlord
Warlord

Ascension seems random because you don't build your deck in advance, but like in any game you become skilled when you start to recognize certain patterns and probability. Knowing how many of a card is in the deck, combined with how that card could impact the game if it shows up for you OR an opponent determines a lot of choices. If you just randomly buy the best card in play, you can often end up with a deck of the best cards that doesn't combo off itself well since you can easily have the best cards in hand, but still end up not affecting the center row. I've seen it happen, 10 rune hands where there is either nothing worth buying because you didn't bother considering the monsters filling the board, or a heavy attack deck because someone saw lots of monsters early on and overcompensated.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Rayzer730 wrote:
Ascension seems random because you don't build your deck in advance, but like in any game you become skilled when you start to recognize certain patterns and probability. Knowing how many of a card is in the deck, combined with how that card could impact the game if it shows up for you OR an opponent determines a lot of choices. If you just randomly buy the best card in play, you can often end up with a deck of the best cards that doesn't combo off itself well since you can easily have the best cards in hand, but still end up not affecting the center row. I've seen it happen, 10 rune hands where there is either nothing worth buying because you didn't bother considering the monsters filling the board, or a heavy attack deck because someone saw lots of monsters early on and overcompensated.

OMG, REALLY? I think I must just be STUPID because I always figured that the strategy in Ascension was to reach across the table and slap a [Censor: dog]!.

Pro-tip: Pointing out the bleeding [Censor: Quack!] obvious is a good way to get people to tell you

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

So ascension online is almost ready to go to beta finally. They now want the ideas for custom cards if you donated enough. So who has a card coming and what are you doing?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:58 pm
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

Wanderer wrote:
So ascension online is almost ready to go to beta finally. They now want the ideas for custom cards if you donated enough. So who has a card coming and what are you doing?

I used Orvac's art since it was the most convenient high res photo I had.

Quote:
Card Type - Hero
Faction - Void (Seemed to be the most chaotic...)
Card Cost - 6
Card Name - Orvac, Chaos Dwarf
Honor Value - 3
Card Text
"Draw a card. If Orvac was the first card played this turn, take each players' hand, shuffle them together and deal them out randomly starting with you."

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a design but no inspiration.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:41 am
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

AragornRoR wrote:
I have a design but no inspiration.

I know. I want something interesting. I thought of some of the cards I like from warlord but some of the effects I like are in the game already.

I think I may submit this one.

Card Type - Construct
Faction - enlighted
Card Cost - 4
Honor Value - 1
Card Text
All players draw an additional card at the end of their turn.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 am

I can dig :)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:32 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next