View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Doomtown is back! 
Writer
Writer

Post Re: Doomtown is back!
Kyn wrote:
And Microsoft looks to be making a Deadlands series. Woot!

And bother, looks like Microsoft is closing that division. Hopefully they can shop a Deadlands series somewhere else.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm
Ain't afraid of no ghost!

So lets talk Doomtown. Brian and I played a game and had an almost close understanding of how to actually play (we never selected a lead shooter instead just went nuts with bullets.) Now that I think I have it clicking, would be best to practice the game a bit with the suggested faction decks in the game booklet or dive in and build my own [Censor: poo] deck? Also, when a dude moves, they don't boot as long as they're adjacent and can move multiple times? That's correct right? Feels weird moving without spending/booting/tapping whatever.

I get to remind them that a governmental bureaucracy put a man on the moon.

The [Censor: Quack!] moon.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

DeadlyPenguin9000 wrote:
So lets talk Doomtown. Brian and I played a game and had an almost close understanding of how to actually play (we never selected a lead shooter instead just went nuts with bullets.) Now that I think I have it clicking, would be best to practice the game a bit with the suggested faction decks in the game booklet or dive in and build my own [Censor: poo] deck? Also, when a dude moves, they don't boot as long as they're adjacent and can move multiple times? That's correct right? Feels weird moving without spending/booting/tapping whatever.

I would play a few games with the suggested decks or net deck it so you have a well framed deck.

well that is the different from reloaded from classic. may good forms on income and some cp were out of town so they were easier to defend because you had to boot to go. Also it may seem like you have u limited movement but that is where the chess comes into play. Do you want to move that dude to town square where they have someone camped out ready to call you out. Also some decks like to spread you out.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:19 pm
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Movement error.

two types of movement do not boot you.
1) from Home to either Town Square or an adjacent location.
2) From Town Square to an in town location. (Exscept your own home, that boots you)

without card effects that means at best you can move twice and stay unbooted. (the third place you will move will boot you, if not before that).

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 am
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

Kerebrus wrote:
Movement error.

2) From Town Square to an in town location. (Exscept your own home, that boots you)

without card effects that means at best you can move twice and stay unbooted. (the third place you will move will boot you, if not before that).

Figured there had to be some sort of limitation to that. We got kind of a quarter-assed demo from AEG for a multitude of reasons and did our best to just try and pick things up on our own.

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 pm
Profile YIM
Writer
Writer

Yeah, I heard some of the AEG demo volunteers were a bit lacking in rule explanations.

I'd play a game or five with the precons before moving on to building your own. I really wish they included a few more staple shootout cards in each set instead of just a two-fer.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44 pm
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

Kyn wrote:
Yeah, I heard some of the AEG demo volunteers were a bit lacking in rule explanations.

I'd play a game or five with the precons before moving on to building your own. I really wish they included a few more staple shootout cards in each set instead of just a two-fer.

We had a guy who seemed to know what he was doing demo'ing the game to us. Until he realized the decks were mixed up. Then after fixing the decks he had another pair sit down to his left he was supposed to demo to as well. So he was trying to demo the game to 4 people, in different stages of the game. Then he was told to go on break and the guy replacing him wanted us to move to another table and he'd start the demo over only for a third person to come over and try and finish our demo.

Gameplay related, since Ace's are low, that means no 10-A straight, right?

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:40 pm
Profile YIM

Kerebrus wrote:
Movement error.

2) From Town Square to an in town location. (Except your own home, that boots you)

That still reads in my brain that you can just move around. Let me ask a scenario.

So my dude is at home. Opponent plays a dude at home. I move my dude to town square. He moves his dude to a deed he had in play. I move my dude to said deed. Moving back to my home boots me, but do I boot at any point to make those moves? Can you boot to move to out of town locations?

Maybe a better question is, what movement actually does boot me? Because from my very limited times playing, the only moves to make are from home to town square or adjacent location or from town square to an in town location.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
Writer
Writer

Only two moves will not boot you:
1) Moving from Home to an adjacent deed or town square.
2) Moving from town square to an in-town deed.

That's it. All other movement boots you (unless you have cards that allow movement without booting).

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Gameplay question above, yes, 10-A is not a straight.

and an important consideration - hand RANK is what matters most - my low straight and your K Q J 10 9 straight are the same rank, and we both have to find a dude to discard.
but in the above case, you would be the WINNER of that round of the shootout, which might trigger other conditions, and as loser, I would have the first option to Run my survivors home. (you would also have the option of chickening out if my survivors were itching for more blood).

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am

Well what other movements are there if you aren't moving to Town Square or to an In-Town Deed? :shrug:

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:36 pm
Profile YIM
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Moving to one of the few out of town deeds

Moving from an in town deed to some other (any other) location

Once you move a dude to my Carter's Bounties, all other moves will boot him

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

:thumbsup: The way I understood it was moving from an intown deed back wouldn't boot me. Got it now.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 am
Profile YIM

So it's come to the time when we're bored with these learn to play decks and we think we learned to play so we need to build a deck. For reference, I net decked two decks to get an idea of what an actual built deck looks and plays like. One was Carter's Law Dog's deck from GenCon and the other was a Sloane Gang deck on Gomorra Gazette. Below is the link to both.

http://www.gomorragazette.com/decks/slo ... ans-party/
http://www.gomorragazette.com/comm/law- ... attrition/

Now I have questions. Granted, we only played on game, but neither deck seemed to get Ghost Rock. In fact, all we did was park our starting dudes in Town Square, shoot'em up, and kept shooting until one of us was dead. I had hot poker hands and won the game. I was talking with Rieper about it and he said it was because we didn't play deeds at all. I had deeds to play, but could not due to lack of Ghost Rock. Opponent had deeds but could not play them due to lack of Ghost Rock. How do you prevent this from happening? Seems like in each game I've played I just march to town square and get into some old gangster [Censor: poo].

Second, when it comes to deck building, how do you begin that process? Do you decide what you want your poker hands to look like and plan your deck based on that or do you mix and match deeds, dudes, and actions to make a strategy with them first?

This is daunting as [Censor: Quack!].

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:01 pm
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

1st) the economy is poor for the most part by design.
2nd) depends on the deck. for 4ths ring i want my hexes cards to work with them and higher valuers for pulls the round out for hands. For a more shoot out centric deck i would look at hands how i can degenerate it to better hands easily. In classic I had a whaetly (think 4th ring)deck that pulled legal full house or even four of a kind of with my studs dead.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next