View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Deck-Building Games 
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Post Deck-Building Games
I know a good number of regulars do (or at least did) play Ascension.
What other DBGs are popular out there?

I picked up DC Comics at Origins and have been enjoying it quite a bit. You only use a single resource to both acquire cards and defeat the super-villains, and everyone buys from the same five-card lineup that is refilled from a common deck. It's quick to setup and tear down and playing as a Hero drives some different strategies that keep the game fresh (I think that's the biggest draw for a couple people to play - being Batman or Wonder Woman).
http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/dc-comi ... lding-game

Friends back in Michigan have been playing Thunderstone Advance for about a year. I've only played with them 3 or 4 times, but it's been pretty fun.
It's similar to Dominion in that you have specific stacks of cards to buy from, but expanded with a dungeon/wilderness area (where monsters await to fight).
I like how you have to accumulate two separate resources, track certain mechanics (encumbrance, light), and can gain xp on top of cards.
Though some of add-ons (familiars, Numenera in general) vary wildly in their balance/power and can detract from the game at times.
http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone

I looked at the Marvel Legendary game at Origins, and one of the locals here in Chicago picked it up. I think I like it more than DC, mostly for the infinite variety that can be had in the heroes/mastermind/scheme. Although, not playing as a specific hero (instead merely including them in the main deck) means you don't necessarily have a driving strategy until you start picking cards.
Either way - the setup and tear-down is the worst of any of these. 8)
Like Thunderstone, I like accumulating two different resources and the synergy between the card types (be it a team-synergy or a card-type-synergy). I also really like the Mastermind and Scheme aspects of the game - puts it on a clock, forces you to act (often together, despite a possible desire not too), and makes it more interactive.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1294 ... lding-game (( better info here than via upper deck, honestly ))

Another one of the locals here backed the Star Realms kickstarter, and we've played one game of that.
Very simple, like DC, in that you have one main deck and one lineup. A little more synergy between the cards you buy and play, including some that can stay in play (until destroyed by your opponent(s)). Quick games, small box, low price point (once they're back in stock - hopefully by Gen Con).
http://starrealms.com/

Lastly, upper deck is releasing Legendary Encounters at Gen Con and I cannot wait. It's the whole Alien movie franchise!
Very similar to Marvel above (and supposedly compatible), and it sounds like it really captures the feeling of the movies with hidden enemies, facehuggers infecting players' decks with chestbursters, and even hidden agendas in the advanced rules. It even incorporates the main thing DC has over Marvel - you get a Role card representing whether you're the medic, gunner, pilot, etc.
I'm a huge Aliens fan (still playing the Aliens board game from the 80's and the AvP ccg from the 90s), so naturally I'm signed up to play it twice at the con (with a chance of winning a copy each time - though I'm coming home with it no matter what).
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1466 ... lding-game

So, what do you play?
-Vic

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

Post Re: Deck-Building Games
If you like penny-arcade at all, they put out one and an expansion through Cryptozoic. It can get rather comical as it has their sense of humor thrown in it and all the cards are references to the comic. Its a mix between dominion and ascenion. Dominion in that you have a set group of cards to buy from, but there's no limits on buys, you discard/re-draw at the end of every turn and there's 2 currencies.

We mostly rotate between that, Smash-up, and the current Ascension set.

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:43 pm
Profile YIM
Writer
Writer

I enjoy Dominion.

I don't get to play it much, though.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 pm
Corruption's Cornerstone
Corruption's Cornerstone

I've played just about all of these mentioned, and think that's about everything I have... Other than Nightfall, which is also a solid game.

Penny Arcade and DC lose points with me because the individual hero abilities lack balance (IMO anyway). Star Realms is definitely the new hotness though. It's also available on Android as an app for anyone interested.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:23 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Damn. Chris named the only one I've played that wasn't listed. The Cryptozoic ones aren't very good and are all basically the same.

Nightfall is pretty unique, though, so I recommend trying it.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:43 pm
DaemonLord Traitor
DaemonLord Traitor

NirvanaTool wrote:
I've played just about all of these mentioned, and think that's about everything I have... Other than Nightfall, which is also a solid game.

Penny Arcade and DC lose points with me because the individual hero abilities lack balance (IMO anyway). Star Realms is definitely the new hotness though. It's also available on Android as an app for anyone interested.

Oh the hero powers are totally Imbalanced.

NirvanaTool wrote:
not starting during the given time frame up is like the "missionary position" of [Censor: Quack!] in Warlord - standard, no big deal.

Spam Bot wrote:
Temple imprisons an unsuccessful bull inside the super wolf. Whatever evolutionary brush chambers her giving entrance. Temple aims Reward program in the premise. Can Temple censor a common wood?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:43 pm
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

You should build a Warlord cube!

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 pm
Ain't afraid of no ghost!
Ain't afraid of no ghost!

The DC hero powers aren't even close to comparable. Wonder Woman and Aquaman just [Censor: poo] on the others. And Penny Arcade can be just as bad if you get a [Censor: poo] hero when everyone else has the good stuff. They're both fun to play though.

I get to remind them that a governmental bureaucracy put a man on the moon.

The [Censor: Quack!] moon.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:51 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]