View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
More Priam Ironsoul questions 
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post More Priam Ironsoul questions
Can Priam Ironsoul bring characters into play in illegal ranks?

If there is one character in rank 1 2 in rank 2 and 3 in rank three, if the character in rank 1 dies, could you fall a character from rank 3 into the front rank rather than fall a character from the second rank?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post Re: More Priam Ironsoul questions
rank 3 is not illegal until rank 2 falls someone forward.

kthx.

Malexin wrote:
There is a food chain. I am on top of it.

Malexin wrote:
...seed your tomato, for the love of god, seed your tomatoes...

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

But isn't Priam's effect to reverse the pyramid structure of ranks optional?

" Each of your ranks with at least one character in front of it MAY contain and additional character before becoming illegal."

So couldn't you fall the character prior to the death of the character who causes illegal ranks?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 pm
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

oddly, this is not an optional May.

short answer

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:21 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I would like the long and lengthy explanation.

So I can understand the wording and intent behind the Warlord, primarily because in my eyes it makes sense if Priam could manipulate his ranks and would create quite the advantage.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Long and lengthy. You can only fall a character forward from an illegal rank when you have an illegal rank. Also all illegal ranks must be fixed from the front rank back. That means you cannot fall a character in rank 3 forward to fix an illegal rank in rank 1. Someone would have to fall from your second rank to fix the first. Then if the second rank was left illegal you would fall someone forward from rank 3 to fix your second rank. So on and so on until all ranks are legal.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:54 am
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

sportydjr74 wrote:
Long and lengthy. You can only fall a character forward from an illegal rank when you have an illegal rank. Also all illegal ranks must be fixed from the front rank back. That means you cannot fall a character in rank 3 forward to fix an illegal rank in rank 1. Someone would have to fall from your second rank to fix the first. Then if the second rank was left illegal you would fall someone forward from rank 3 to fix your second rank. So on and so on until all ranks are legal.

No, Dingus, he meant "Long and lengthy" to explain why the "May" part of Priam's text isn't optional.

Explanation:

This was ruled on during Epic edition when his text was changed per the then-used *cough* "template" <-so noted because the *cough* "template" was a running joke of mediocrity and fail, called for the word "May," which was intended to bring the original text of the Warlord in-line with other cards of the time, but never intended, purportedly, to make the effect optional. Instead of creating simplicity, it created confusion, and, after some deliberation with design regarding intent, it was ruled that the text was not optional.

Original card:

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Thank you, I've been doing it wrong.

Does that mean you can play a character in illegal ranks as long as there is a character in front of said rank and there was only one character in that original rank?

Since its mandatory that would mean illegal ranks wouldn't even happen in the above scenario right?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

visually.

with Priam you can have a rank structure of:

D D D
D D
D --Front Rank

if the front rank character is killed, you now have an illegal second rank, so a character must fall forward.
then, you will have an illegal third rank, and a character must fall forward.

if you have ranks like
D
D
D
DD
D -- Front Rank - for example
You can legally play a character into rank 1, 3, 4, 5, or 6

as long as there is one character in a rank, it can prop up one extra character in the rank behind it.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 am
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Yeah...
'may action-verb' is a choice - may move, may draw.
'may describing-verb' is not - may contain, may have.

But the negative is always non-optional.
May not attack, may not equip, may not perform.

---

When illegal ranks occur, you do not have to fix them from the front. You may fix them in any order you wish, assuming you have more than one illegal rank at the exact same moment (usually caused by movement - the old rank is now illegal, as is the current rank).

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Quote:
When illegal ranks occur, you do not have to fix them from the front. You may fix them in any order you wish, assuming you have more than one illegal rank at the exact same moment (usually caused by movement - the old rank is now illegal, as is the current rank).

I'm getting back to the game with a couple of friends after 10 years hiatus, can someone explain this to me? I always thought you should fix illegal ranks from the front when you have more than one illegal rank at the same time.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

You chose which order to fix the ranks of your army.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 am
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

It's a quibble. It's extremely rare to have 2 illegal ranks simultaneously. In the event it occurs, you can correct them in any order you choose. Period. Per the rules. End of discussion.

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]