View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Understanding Feats 
n00b
n00b

Post Understanding Feats
Hello to all,

I'm not quite sure I understand which characters can use feats.

The rulebook says (under 'Feats') that feats are special skill-based actions that a character may perform if he has the appropriate trait. However, in the second paragraph, it also says that to perform an action that requires a feat-based check, the character does not need to have the feat trait.

What does this mean? I need to have the appropriate trait in order to perform the feat, but my character doesn't need to have the feat trait in question... This sounds a bit confusing to me, especially since some cards, like the Bracers of Deflection, grant the Magic Resistance + 0 feat - what is the point of granting + 0?

Could someone kindly clarify this aspect of the game for me?

Many thanks for your time and help.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Understanding Feats
Sure.
Feats are the bold traits that upon a successful skill check against a target of 20, will allow a certain action.

Take Medicine - you can make the Medicine action once per turn that will remove a wound from a character in the same rank as the character with the feat.
Take succeed with the check you role once, add the characters skill and what ever + from the feat. If the total is 20 or more you remove the wound.
Even if the + for the feat is 0 you still have a chance to succeed by adding the dice roll to the characters skilll. Obviously the higher + of the feat the easier the check.

There are some cards that will require a check (say a Defend check) but that doesn’t count as your use of the action and won’t prevent you for using that feat yourself this turn.
Does that help a litttle?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 pm
Profile YIM
n00b
n00b

Nigel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think it does help, yes... I just initially felt like there was a contradiction in terms. On the one hand, you need to have the appropriate trait to perform a feat-based check, and on the other hand, having the trait is not necessary! What was tripping me up was this line:

Quote:
to perform an action that requires a feat-based check, the character does not need to have the feat trait.

The keyword being 'requires'.

So, if I understand your examples correctly, a card that grants me a feat trait, say Medicine (even Medicine +0), will allow me to perform that feat check when it comes my turn to perform a decree, because I now possess that trait.

However, if I'm forced to make a check by one of my opponent's actions, then having that feat trait doesn't matter, I just do the test using only my skill value.

Is that correct?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Basically.

There are two different things. If you have the Feat or there is a card/action that grants the Feat then you use it once per turn (generally with a target number of 20).

There are also cards that require a check on the feat BUT these cards do not require you have to the Feat to make the check. Think of it just like making a DC check on Ball Lightning, you have to make the Magic check but there is no magic trait. Same with cards that require a Defend/Stealth/Charisma check.
You make the check but they do not grant the Feat to the character.

That clearer?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
n00b
n00b

Yes, thanks a lot, Nigel!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]