View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Warlord RPG erratta 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Meh. Just have them start gaining levels of clerical spellcasting. Then any that want to go on will be so crazy, you might as well give them what they want.

In fairness it's not *that* broken... remember the rammifications, save Athanaes you'll never find a cleric to help you or the party you're with, outside of elvish lands you'll be hunted by zealous paladins, clerics, farmers with pitch forks, etc.

You're vulnerable to turning which can simply poof you out of existence or render you absolute slave to another's will (NPCed via Rebuking). You can no longer be healed by positive energy so you're no longer so helpful as a Cleric.

There are definite negatives to being undead, it's just most people don't see them right away.

L.A.I.R. Team member and 7th level GM.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:38 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Medusan_Exile wrote:
Meh. Just have them start gaining levels of clerical spellcasting. Then any that want to go on will be so crazy, you might as well give them what they want.

In fairness it's not *that* broken... remember the rammifications, save Athanaes you'll never find a cleric to help you or the party you're with, outside of elvish lands you'll be hunted by zealous paladins, clerics, farmers with pitch forks, etc.

You're vulnerable to turning which can simply poof you out of existence or render you absolute slave to another's will (NPCed via Rebuking). You can no longer be healed by positive energy so you're no longer so helpful as a Cleric.

There are definite negatives to being undead, it's just most people don't see them right away.

Except that being Severed mitigates a lot of those problems. Severed are, by their nature difficult to control. They get turn resistance +4 (Meaning a minumum effective level of 19, and are thus pretty much immune to total destruction/control from turn/rebuke), and are immune to spells like 'Control Undead'. If you're in a party that doesn't turn you out immediately for being an Undead necromancer, your cleric's probably already Evil, and as such can use Inflict spells to heal you, not to mention that you can now heal yourself with Necromancy.

Also... re-read the Priest of Blood. It doesn't specify that they have to be divine spellcasting levels. Neither does Bone, Flesh, or Spirit. So yes, a Necromancer could easily qualify for those classes, and would continue to advance in spellcasting power. BUT... they miss out on their Necromancer class abilities for those five levels. And, well, they lose a level for it. (At least for Priest of Blood and Spirit do). On the other hand, they could wait till 20th level, and choose to simply become whatever type of Severed they want.

Also, to note, lich is listed as a Severed type in the description of the Severed template, but is never discussed in the book. Is this due to Lich being like Beholders and is considered a 'signature' monster by WOTC?

seige911: "It's unfortunate too. I wouldn't mind someone giving guys like this nut shock treatment."

T3chno: "Nihil doesn't have friends, he just has enemies that hate him less."

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:09 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

No. As I recall, only the Gith, Beholders, Aboleths, Illithid, and one other Aberration qualify as "unique intellectual property".

And you don't really care.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:07 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

No. As I recall, only the Gith, Beholders, Aboleths, Illithid, and one other Aberration qualify as "unique intellectual property".

I believe "Umber Hulks" are as well, but not "Umberhulks".

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:12 pm
Profile ICQ
n00b
n00b

I´m not sure if i missed it somehow, but there is no explanation for the 13th Lvl Babarian ability. Is it explained somewhere else? Or is it completley missing? Or am i simply blind? 8)

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:40 pm
Writer
Writer

I´m not sure if i missed it somehow, but there is no explanation for the 13th Lvl Babarian ability. Is it explained somewhere else? Or is it completley missing? Or am i simply blind? 8)

Mighty Blow? Page 25 of the Codex, second paragraph of the right hand column.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I am not sure if this was listed, but for the Human Assassin's first level ability it says "All humans are naturally gifted at disguising themselves off as an unusual member of either parent race." Then is goes on saying that they can mimic their language, accents, postures, and quirks of every race he encounted, but that isn't the part that bothers me.

Isn't a human's parent race human? So they can disguise themselves as unusual humans? Doesn't see very helpful to me.

Now I might be wrong on this part, but is it possible that the Halfbreed assassin's Skillful ability belongs with human assassins and that Disguise Expert belongs with halfbreeds? That just seems like a better fit to me given those races racials.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:42 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Also how can Arra'dann be neutral evil when monks have to be lawful?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:49 pm
Writer
Writer

Now I might be wrong on this part, but is it possible that the Halfbreed assassin's Skillful ability belongs with human assassins and that Disguise Expert belongs with halfbreeds? That just seems like a better fit to me given those races racials.

Um, yeah. That must be so. Can't believe I didn't spot that earlier...

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Writer
Writer

Also how can Arra'dann be neutral evil when monks have to be lawful?

"A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but [retains] all monk abilities."

Arra'dann had an alignment change, that's all. When he levels, he'll probably slap a Barbarian level on top, or something.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:48 am
Profile WWW
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the reply, but i got the level wrong. I looked it up and yes, mighty blow is explained :oops: . What is missing actually is the 14th level abillity. I guess it´s called furious charge, or something. I don´t have the book at hand, so i only can hope to get it right, this time :?

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:16 am
Writer
Writer

The Mighty Blow ability says: "At 14th level he may make two attacks during a charge action." For some reason, it seems as if this improving of the Mighty Blow ability was named 'Furious Charge/ 2 attacks' on the table. But Mighty Blow is what it is referring to.

Last edited by Khilkhameth on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 am
Profile WWW
n00b
n00b

Ahh...now i see. Thanks a lot. It seems your first answer was right even when my question wasn´t correct. I must say, i´m impressed :lol:

Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

Nothrog Summoner level 5 ability - make animals and magical beasts one size catagory larger at the cost of 1d3 to 1HP (depending on level).

Does this just make them larger (i.e. -1 attack & ac, harder to hide), or do they apply the stats in the monster manual for size increase? (e.g. Medium to large gets +8 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON, +2 natural armor, and the usual -1 attack & AC)

On the one hand, it seems quite nasty, on the other hand, there's the feat that gives you +4 str +4 con for no HP cost, and dosen't involve making your creature unwieldy. Admittedly my nothrog summoner intends to use both on his summons, but hey.

Secondly, animal companions: It's said in class descriptions that they're in the magic section, but there doesn't seem to be much there, apart form one off hand thing used as an example where it says something along the lines of "over half your hit dice of animal companions must be totem animals, so if a level 10 druid can have 20HD of companions, 11+ must be totems" (I don't have a book myself so that's from memory and may be slightly wrong).

Does that mean that druid's get double their HD of animals? What about the other classes that get pets? With my (now sadly deceased) druid I was using the base 3.5 rulebooks set of stuff (one companion, gets bonuses, less bonuses if it's a harder animal), but I'm curious if there's some other rule that should be used.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:37 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

**Warning possible Campaign Book spoilers in this post!**

Hi, I'm a lil' confused by the Tier 4 adventure "The Dragon's Lair" as I simply cannot seem to match the area description for the Dragons Cave (starts on page 142) with any actual map. It seems, from what else I have read, that it's supposed to be the two maps back on pages 505 and 506, judging by some of the descriptions and as it's the only location with players revisit (pages 503 and 504 are the same location but with a slightly different key and titles).

Thing is the map on page 506 seems perfect for the location and I can kinda reverse engineer from the descriptions which room is meant to be which, but the map on page 505 has me completely stumped as no village, buildings and/or tents (in ruins or otherwise) are actually mentioned in the location description. Just the bones of the dead Silver dragon and then a cave entrance.

It may make more sense when I come to read the later scenario, but at the very least the map on page 506 needs re-keyed and ideally the map on page 505 needs an explanation, as (besides a lot more construction than merely a cave entrance) around 11 points of interest seems to be there with no mention in the scenario.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next