View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
[Play by Post] Ch. 1 ... the silence of our friends. 
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post [Play by Post] Ch. 1 ... the silence of our friends.
Peace.

Diplomats believe that most elusive goal in the Accordlands is finally at hand. Soldiers know better. Both have been gathering at Ghostwood Keep for the last week, along with servants, hangers on, and uninvited guests. They've come to witness the signing of a peace treaty between the Elves and the human kingdom of Andover, ending a bloody war almost before it can begin.

The ranking diplomats have been inside the central keep, negotiating the final details of the treaty as their entourages and other amassadors wait in their various locations inside the Keep's walls. Anyone of rank has brought their own guardsmen, and Edwin Moss, current commander of Ghostwood Keep, has hired many mercenaries to keep the peace between the gathered humans, Elves, and others who have come for this historic event. Outside the Keep's walls, merchants have set up stalls, lesser ambassadors await their turn to enter the Keep and speak with the leaders within, and the curious and opportunistic wait for their chance to be part of history.

The signing ceremony is rumored to take place tomorrow, and Commander Moss has ordered the Keep's doors open to welcome all who have come. If the rumors hold true, tomorrow night Ghostwood Keep will be a scene of celebration. Revelers will exalt in the incipient peace for hours or days and the spirit of good will between Andover and the Elves carfted here might spill over to the representatives of the other factions that have come to witness the ceremony. Tomorrow's ceremony could be the first step toward a new era of peace in the Accordlands.

[A map of Ghostwood Keep for everybody's reference.] http://www.flickr.com/photos/momofeaglett/3350541874/

[Welcome to our game! As your characters are welcomed into Ghostwood Keep, please post your introductions and why you have come: as a guard, as part of an ambassador's entourage, or maybe as a rogue attracted to a gathering of wealthy individuals. You have full creative license as to why you're here and which faction, if any, you're supporting. PM me if you'd like me to give you a place and purpose here. After this, most OOC info and discussions should be kept to the designated thread. If it needs to go in this thread, please keep it short (1 or 2 sentences) and put it in brackets [ ] to distinguish it from character actions.]

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Post Re: [Play by Post] Ch. 1 ... the silence of our friends.
Peace.

The hope of fools who are either unwilling or unable to face the true nature of this world: conflict and strife.

Jackson sneers privately to himself as he notices the joy beaming on the faces of those around him. Total strangers waving and shouting greetings to one another outside the Keep, as if this were some holiday for the whole world. It should be possible to find some type of employment here; anything would be better than guarding merchant’s wagons, well almost anything.

As Jackson approaches Ghostwood Keep a gate guard eyes Jackson up and down, noticing his battered breastplate and greatsword among the other forms of arms and well maintained accoutrements.

Jackson Lye appears older than his actual age but at this point in time what human exile from the desolate eastern kingdoms doesn’t look the worse for wear? Black, shoulder-length hair streaked with gray combines with a short beard to give him a look of resourcefulness, while his green eyes are bright and alert. He might be considered handsome if not for the inner scars that give him a grim look and a mouth that never smiles.

“You should be able to find good work here, my man. Plenty of fools looking for a sword to watch their back or make them look important.” The gate guard smiles at him.

Jackson nods, “Thanks for the tip.”

The shadow of the gate passes over his face as he walks through. There’s always an opportunity lurking among the hopes and fears of so many people gathered in one place.

Last edited by Artur Hawkwing on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

[Jackson Lye]

You pass on into the gatehouse. Six narrow windows to the south overlook the drawbridge and moat. Soldiers armed with heavy crossbows stand by each window, two more by a winch that raises the bridge. One the other side of the room, two more guards with drawn swords look into the inner bailey, watching the interior intently. Four guards have been assigned to usher the visitors through. The next guard gestures for you to step to the side, out of the line of visitiors entering the Keep.

"You're going to have to peace bond your weapons while you're in the keep." he says. "All save one dagger."

Now that you're out of the throng, you notice several other travelers have been pulled aside to have their bladed weapons tied into sheathes with bright red leather straps. Likewise, leather sacks are tied over quivers, bolt cases, and bludgeoing weapons.

As you work to get your collection of arms peace bonded, he leans in and says in conversational tones, "You'll have to keep these bonded just until you find someone who'll hire you on. They'll give you a badge to show the other guards you're here to help keep the peace. I can recommend my commander, Janse Stallings, up those stairs," he points, "or there's a delegation from Llyr who might want more guards. Ask for Son of Clouds in the West Thorn. Or ask around where you like." He gives the leather strap on your greatsword a final tug and waves you on.

[Refer to the map of Ghostwood Keep in my first post and decide where you'd like to go next. Or you may roll a Gather Information check. I'll post tentative rules for rolling in OOC.]

Last edited by MomofEaglett on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:21 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: [Play by Post] Ch. 1 Artemis
[Artemis]

You've been sent to Ghostwood Keep for two reasons: To protect the Elven delegates as they traveled from their home forests, and to gather information about the keep's other visitors while you're there. Your delegation arrived yesterday and was admitted into the keep early. You spent most of that day helping to set up camp in the small forest, covering slightly more area than the Central Keep building, that grows between that building and the wall. Today it is packed with Elves. Elven tents sit just inside the tress, and almost every tree on the outer circle of the forest holds two or three Elves. The grove is quieter than any part of Ghostwood. The trees absorb any noise, and the Elves by them are quiet to begin with.

Wynnerik, the Deputy Ambassador of the Elven delgation, summoned you to her tent when the gates opened to admit still more people within the crammed walls of Ghostwood. As you push past the green lined tent flaps, you see Wynnerik, sitting serenely, looking over her papers. She is still but alert, looking as if she could remain awake all night for days in a row. Two other Elves stand on either side of her chair. She looks up and nods to you by way of greeting.

"Artemis. Thank you for coming. I realize you have a more neutral role here than I do, and I respect that. However, I wanted to ask you to keep your people," her fingers move in a small gesture meant to include all the Elves within the grove, "in mind as you mingle with the others here today. If the treaty is not signed tomorrow for any reason, I would like to know who is most likely to keep the truce," here she pauses and shrugs her shoulders to show how much faith she has in that possibility, "and who will not." Her eyes are hard and steady as she finishes.

She turns back to her papers. "I have spoken my piece, and we both have further business today." One of her guards pulls aside the tent flap.

[Seems like an abrupt dismissal, but she is willing to listen to any questions or comments your char might have. Otherwise, refer to the map of Ghostwood Keep in my first post and decide where you'd like to start gathering your information on the other factions. Or you may roll a Gather Information check. I'll post tentative rules for rolling in OOC.]

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:09 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Artemis nods in greeting to the Ambassador, standing in a relaxed yet alert position as she speaks. "As I gather info I will keep your request in mind Ambassador," *Bowing he turns and heads out of the elven grove making sure that sentries are in place and alert. He heads out of the grove cautious and alert as he moves.

Standing 5ft2in tall and weighing 128lbs, he moves with a lithe grace that is a combination of his natural Elven grace and training. His sapphire blue eyes are hard and lacking emotion most of the time. His raven black hair flows down to his shoulders and is tied back with a leather thong to keep it out of his face. He wears a black hooded cloak covering his face most of the time. His sharp Elven features also show little to no emotion much, Wearing black tunic with dark grey breeches, and soft leather gloves that match the breeches with black soft leather boots. Twin Elven Leaf style Short swords sheathed at his hips. A dagger made of bone sheathed at each boot, and a couple more placed about his person. He moves as if he knows how to use them.

Artemis doesn't have a particular location that he is wandering to he is just meandering about the keep Gathering information.

(Gather information Check: 14 total: 11 on the die +3 from CHA)

(OOC: And I have a suggestion as to Rolling for stuff that I will explain in OOC:)

Last edited by Marcethus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Initiate
Initiate

“Thanks.” Jackson moves through into the Keep proper.

Hope they have some arcane support in that gatehouse. They wouldn’t last half a minute against a real assault.

The mood feels tense to Jackson. Everyone seems to be looking over their shoulder at everyone else; standing in groups, separated by race.

Hmm, no one seems to be making much of an effort. This doesn’t look good, time to find out what’s going on here.

[Gather Information check on mercenary activity, 20 + 0Cha = 20. Looking for general shop talk: who’s paying the best, who’s the best to work for, who’s hiring, what’s going to be easy about this job and what’s going to be difficult? Most especially what’s going on with the Dark Horsemen and are they hiring?]

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:04 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

[All players]

The keep is crowded. A few merchants have set up makeshift stands along the walls north and south of the stables, and are loudly hawking their wares. They are selling mostly armor, basic gear, and food stuff. No weapons. They are being kept busy by the commoners and diplomats' staff, but the soldiers are merely patrolling, not buying. At least half of all the soldiers who are present will not sleep tonight, as each side watches the other for the smallest sign of treachery. For every soldier speaking optimistically about a new dawn of peace, another speaks of long-held grudges and bloodstains that cannot be wiped away by a mere piece of paper.

As each of you mingle, listening and asking questions, you gather much information, though some bits are more useful than others:

--Neither the Andoverans nor the Elves expected the Nothrog to send a delegation, and neither group was pleased when the delegation arrived. Substantial groups in camp were in favor of kicking them out of the keep, or killing them while they had the chance.

[The rest of the info you gathered will be sent to each of you in an IC PM]

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

[All characters. I figured I would set the scene and we can get started here, and once we have a time to meet in an IM, we'll move the scene over there. This way I don't feel like things are being held up while we schedule.]

You've spent the better part of the day moving about the keep, listening to soldiers brag, merchants gossip, and servants worry. Even the diplomats, normally so careful of speech, are letting slip their frustrations and hopes as the time of the signing ceremony draws nearer. Over head, the alert sentries watch the crowds from their vantage points on the roofs of the buildings. Despite the large grove of trees, the air smells more of dirt and dust than green and growing things. The sun is on the decline and it will be full dark in about 4 hours. The guards have made it clear that everyone who is not employed by a visiting dignitary will be put out of the keep for the night, and doors will be sealed until the signing ceremony has been completed. Those remaining inside the keep are expected to stay in their designated camps until dawn. Merchants are already packing up their wares.

You still have time before the final sweep and decide to follow up on an interesting tidbit of information from earlier in the day, and head north, past the Central Keep. In the northwest tower reside the Dark Horsemen. Their door is open to visitors. Inside, the chamber at the base of the tower is more comfortably furnished than other guard towers -- two of the chairs actually have cushions. A tapestry portraying King Michael hangs on the wall near a stairway leading up. Four humans and a Sutek sit casually around the room, talking and laughing.

[Whoever posts first is the first to arrive here. They exchange banter so quickly it's hard to find a place to interrupt and announce your presence.]

"I swear it's true!" one of the men instists as the laughter dies down. "This scrawny Nothrog was running around the battle field with a barrel strapped to his back and burning torches in his hands. I think he thought he was a siege engine."

"Well, that's Nothrog for you. Dumb as goblins," another man speaks up, derisively.

"Maybe thiss one's mother wass a goblin," the Sutek suggests with a soft, sibilant laugh.

The first speaker takes up his narrative again. "Must have been, because this green 'throg only knew but one word. Boom!"

The group erupts with brash hoots and guffaws. Then one of them notices your entrance and the laughter dies down as they all become aware that they have company. With a final chuckle, one of them invites you to join them with a wave.

"Another guest, come to visit us. What have you got to say?"

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Artemis moving with his lithe muscular gracefulness. "Actually I was wondering what has aroused interest of the Horseman in this matter, if I may inquire?"

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:51 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

[Artemis]

The mercenaries turn to the dark haired man who was telling the story. "They're not paying us for our interest. We're contracted here to handle any problems that might come up between you and them." He seems to have lumped you in with the other Elves. He tone is light, but his eyes are serious as he takes in the short swords at your hips.

[Please note in OOC]

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Artemis nods, "I see. Well, if all goes well then there will be no problem between the two sides." Making no gestures that could be taken as threatening. He stands at ease yet alert.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

[Artemis]

"If all goes well, there certainly will be a problem for at least half the folk here." He notices the badge you wear and seems satisfied. Leaning back in his seat, he gestures at an empty chair. "You're welcome to join us. I'm Pariah." He quickly mumbles through a round of introductions, ending with the Kss'da, the Sutek. They each make various neutral noises of greetings.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

*Artemis takes the offered chair, making sure his weapons don't interfere with sitting* "I am Artemis Syneri," *Arching a brow at the comment* "And why will there be a problem if the peace talks succeed?"

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:05 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Jackson Lye enters the room toward the end of the humorous story. He stands quietly after giving his name during the round of introductions and listens to the conversation.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:01 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: [Play by Post] Ch. 1 -- Pariah explains
[Both players]

"So far," Pariah answered, "everyone has been on their best behavior, hoping the other side will make the first mistake. Tomorrow, when their leaders tell them their enemies are no longer their enemies, some will resist the idea." One of the other men begins to protest, but Pariah talks over him. "Oh, a few will swallow their pride and submit to whatever terms the ambassadors have set out for them, but others will believe that they know better, and will act on their beliefs. Those are the folk we've been hired to handle. We'll be watching for those who are willing to renege on the peace treaty, and taking care of them before they can disrupt the celebrations of the other peace loving folk."

He sees Jackson still waiting. "Come have a seat, man. There should be another chair..." he pauses to glance around, then points at a chair, "There." The mercenary who had his feet propped up on it abruptly drops them to the floor with a cough. Pariah turns back to Artemis. "Can't have the whole thing turning to chaos just when these good men have worked out some form of order, can we?"

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next