View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
[Play by Post] OOC Thread 
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson

Post [Play by Post] OOC Thread
Here's a thread where you guys can post OOC stuff. Have fun! :)

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 pm
Profile YIM
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: [Play by Post] OOC Thread
Cool, thank you!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Jump right in with your posts. :) I figure the other characters will at least get a glimpse of you in passing, so a brief description, and then kind of an internal monologue on why you're there. When I know why you came, (as a soldier, merchant's caravan, diplomat's entourage, camp hanger-on, etc. whatever) and with which faction you're allied, I'll post where you all end up within the keep.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I figured I'd post this here again so it's easy to find for people who want to join us.

As of the beginning of Ch. 2 in our story, all new characters joining us should start out at level 2.

CHARACTER CREATION

Ability scores
I'd like to use the point buy system. All ability scores start at 8. Take 65 points to spread out among all abilities. [a little high, I know, but who's going to complain?] For ability scores of 14 or lower, you buy additional points on a 1-for-1 basis. For ability scores higher than 14, the cost rises. Spend points before applying racial bonuses or penalties. A racial bonus is the only way to get a score above 18.

Ability Score --> Cost
9 --> 1
10 --> 2
11 --> 3
12 --> 4
13 --> 5
14 --> 6
15 --> 8
16 --> 10
17 --> 13
18 --> 16

You get max starting gold from your Race + your class to purchase your gear and equipment.

Other than that, follow the rules for character building out of the Master Codex. You can also use information such as feats, equipment, etc. from the core D&D rulebooks (DM's Guide and Player's handbook). If your character concept needs special considerations, let me know and we'll work it out. I know the Codex has a few items that are unclear. If it affects your character, work it out with me so we can keep everything consistent.

Hope this is clear and fair. Let me know of any problems or concerns. Otherwise, happy character building!

As far as posting your characters, it might be easiest to just fill out your character sheet at home and then scan it in and email it to me at <amandakdot@yahoo.com>. If that's not possible or convenient, here's a basic format of information I think I'll need. Send it to me in a PM and I'll respond with a little bit of a prelude to lead into the campaign and/or link the group together. Then, when you officially start the campaign, you can introduce your own character.

Character sheet info
Name
Alignment, race, class, level
Gender, age, height, weight, deity
Abilities: Str score (+/-mod), Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha
Save throws: Fort, Ref, Will
AC: total, flat footed, touch
Initiative:
Hit points:
Skills: Skill +total (ranks)
Feats:
Special abilities:
Languages:
Spellbook: Spell name (DC)
Equipment: Weapon, armor, gear

A paragraph or two giving some insight into your character’s … character. Your take on his/her alignment, general personality, goals, fears, family, secrets, defining events in your character’s life so far, etc.

Also, where would you, as a player, like to take this character? Prestige classes, specialty feats, magic items, weaknesses to overcome, reach epic level, rule a town or nation, defeat such&such villain, meet so&so hero, travel to that-famous-location, etc.

Any other notes or information you think I might need about your character and play style so that I can maximize your fun in our adventures together.

POSTING GUIDELINES

During game play, post your character's action in basic narrative form (quotation marks for speech, descriptive paragraphs, italics for inner monolgue, etc.). Use brackets [ ] for short OOC comments (1-2 sentences, questions for DM, rolls, etc.). Anything longer than a few sentences should be posted in the OOC thread, or sent to me via PM.

The goal is for everyone to post at least 2 times a week. I will wait at least 2 days on PC actions, then I will try to post my best guess on your character's actions to keep the game moving forward and you can pick up your character when you get back. If I have to do this more than twice in a row, expect a note from me asking what the heck is going on. If you need a break a break longer than that, please let us know in OOC thread and we can all pause together.

I try to organize a group IM session at least once a month (or more often if needed and everyone is available) to take care of intense dialogue/action/combat scenes. These sessions are usually held on weekday nights after 7 pm MST, but that pattern is not set in stone. If those times aboslutely won't work for a player, we'll all do our best to find a time together.

DICE ROLLING

We're on the honor system. I trust that you'll play in the spirit of the game for fair fun for everyone. I may make rolls for characters in situatiuons where they won't know exactly how well they did on their attempted action or if a couple days pass after my request for a roll that hasn't been posted yet (again, to keep things moving).

PM me if there are any other questions about character creation, game play, dice rolling, etc. I will try to keep this post updated with FAQ's as they come up. Good to have you all with us. Join up any time. :) All are welcome!

Last edited by MomofEaglett on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:05 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

The Ghostwood Keep map has been updated with more description about the various locations of the different factions in the comments section under the picture. The link should take you straight to it.

I know it can be frustrating for players when the DM doesn't give enough info about the setting, location, NPC's, etc. so I'll try to be thorough. This means that, until I get in the groove of DMing, I might be adding a little more information each day, or editing the same post several times a day. I apologize, and I'll try to get better at posting everything you'll need to know all at once. If I leave any blank spots, feel free to PM me or post on OOC asking more details or specifics that your character would be interested that I may have left out. I'll get better as we go, I hope.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I find that my posts are kind of long. If there's ever a spot in my posts that you'd like to interrupt with your own character actions, go for it. Just let me know where/when your taking your actions. My intention is never to railroad over any actions your character may have.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:25 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

For what I use on Dice rolling is This

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:51 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Alright, so we have one suggestion for dice rolling, thanks to Marcethus. :thumbsup: Everyone, please check this out and let us know if you think it will work for you or if you have another suggestion, post it.

To expedite what we can, I'll roll for rolls where the character doesn't necessarily know how well he did (e.g. bluff/listen/search/appraise/etc. checks), and post the results of the action, but not the actual roll. For other rolls... I'm open to suggestions. For now, we're on the honor system, 'cause I don't want the game to get held up while we work this out, but please consider what you'll be comfortable with and let me know what your opinion is:
--Rolling program
--Honor system
--I roll it all, since I have everyone's sheets
--other

Another thing I wanted to put out there for consideration is getting together on an instant messenger for roll/dialogue-intensive scenes (e.g. battles, negotions, etc.). Would everyone be willing to try to get together, say, once a month or so (I'm guessing as to how often this would be really useful) for a few hours? I realize this will take some scheduling/coordinating and might not be feasible, but it would be nice. I have Yahoo! IM, Skype, and MSN Messenger. So, what do you think? Could we make that work?

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

my suggestion: use the dice site I suggested and the Honor system. just my two cents

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Thank you. I'm always glad to get two cents. :) I think that's exactly what we'll do. So, we're officially using the Hamate Virtual Dice Server. I set up a dice log for us on this site. I really like how this site works. All you two need to do is register and we can start using this. Cool? Although, I'm guessing Marcethus is already registered. ;) You should each get an invitation to join the dice log in your email. In the event that you have any secret rolls (I don't think this is too likely, however) please feel free to send the roll to me using their email dice roll option.

Both of your characters have expressed interest in meeting the Dark Horsemen. It looks to me like a good opportunity to get Jackson and Artemis introduced to each other. Would you guys mind sharing part of that scene, or would you rather run into each other after? If you don't mind sharing (not necessarily the whole scene, I think I can work it so that you each get your own time with them) then how do you feel about doing the scene via instant messaging? I'm available any time after the baby has gone to sleep (usually around 9 pm) Sun-Fri (except tonight, already have plans). Let me know what you guys think. This seems like an ideal scene to do that. Let me know if you think you can find a time for that. If not, posting it here will be fine too, just take a little longer. ...But then, I guess we can give more thoughtful replies. <Shrugs>

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:39 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I am up for the IM Rping, I am available most days at any time. Save for Sunday- Tuesday.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Trying to roleplay through IM sounds like a good idea. How do we set that up?

I'm available this Thursday evening. If this doesn't work I've got vacation next week, we could do it sometime then.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:37 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I should be available Thursday Evening, for it. I got a Warlord Tournament earlier in the day but we are usually done by 5-6pm.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Dang it, I thought Thursday would work, but my husband reminded me we'll be playing Warlord that night in Provo, which is about an hour's drive for us, so we might not be back till late late. So sorry. Would Thursday next week work? or any other day next week?

What IM do you prefer? Yahoo and Skype are what I'm most comfortable with, but I've got MSN messenger, too.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

MomofEaglett wrote:
Dang it, I thought Thursday would work, but my husband reminded me we'll be playing Warlord that night in Provo, which is about an hour's drive for us, so we might not be back till late late. So sorry. Would Thursday next week work? or any other day next week?

What IM do you prefer? Yahoo and Skype are what I'm most comfortable with, but I've got MSN messenger, too.

I use Yahoo MSN or Aim I do not, will not and refuse to touch Skype.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next