View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Goings On 
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post Goings On
I'm planning on running a game with characters starting at level 12, probably about 2 years or so after Sir Rhawn takes over as the Eternal Emperor. I'm wanting the game to go to epic levels and I'm willing to use splat books to allow individuals to be unique, because to me that's a lot of what makes the Accordlands so interesting.

The reason I'm posting this thread is to get feedback on my ideas and to allow people to make suggestions as to what some of the big names of warlord might be up to. I'm willing to fudge power levels and stats for the sake of roleplaying. So if you want to make suggestions about how some wars are going, what some important npcs might be doing, or just ideas you think would help make a good game, let me know.

The only plot lines I have crystalized in my mind deals with the elves and the deverenians.

Morghen Dythanus has decided it is time for him to make his move. To this end he is releasing four very powerful undead to serve as pillars of strength in the elven army. The pcs may fight any number of them depending how the game goes, but by the time the pcs hit 20th levell all 4 will be destroyed.
That's fine, he's used the distraction that his four generals gave him to find the dying world where the last born child of the elven gods was laid to rest and raised it as an abomination (Atropal I think it is, epic hand book). However it is beyond his control and begins wreaking havoc all across the accordlands.
Eventually, Sir Rhawn will subject it to a trial by Storm, and it will be destroyed. Which brings Morghen that much closer to his ultimate goal. Morghen's goal isn't to defeat the Deverenians, it is to regain immortality for his people and his plan in this all along is to gather the priests, severed, and relics of the elements and arrange for them all to be subjected to a trial by storm, hoping that the storm will destroy the elements, or at worst that the element will turn their power against the storm, damaging or destroying it.

Religion and churches are horrible things thought up by humans to judge and persecute those whom are not of their religion. They allow for fanatics to ruin a perfectly good faith by taking out extreme actions in the name of their god.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 am
Profile YIM
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: Goings On
:) Neat ideas. Hope you find some good players for this. Where are you planning on running it when you get started?

I thought the 4 Elven Elements and the Storm were both different parts of the Great Dragon that Athaneas slew. At first I didn't think it was feasible that the Strom would be able to destroy them, since they all used to be part of the same whole. But the human body is tricked into attacking itself all the time (cancer, allergies, for example), so why shouldn't Morghen be able to trick these former Dragon parts into destroying each other. I'll buy it.

But, if he succeeds, what effect will that have on the rest of the Dragon's parts? The Abyssals spawned from his rotting carcass deep within the earth? The Dragon orbs, it's unborn children?

What would happen to the Devs if they suddenly lost their god? Or the Elves if the Elements were destroyed? Sure, the living Elves would no longer suffer an early death, but weren't the severed created by clerics of those Elements? If the Elements are destroyed, would the severed and other immortals made using their power also be destroyed? That possibility makes for a great internicine subplot for living Elves versus undead Elves.

Or, what if subjecting the Elements to trial by Storm only unites them together again, instead of destroying one or the other, like grafting an appendage back onto the main body. If the Storm is the Dragon's soul, maybe the Elements are its link to its body (or embodiments of its hatred for all life. I'm kind of fuzzy on how, exactly, they're connected to the Great Dragon). Maybe Morghen will actually be that much closer to resurrecting the Great Dragon. Which can be momentus or horrorific, depending on how you want that to go.

So, thought provoking plot line. Good job. Even if my particular thoughts don't mesh with your intended plot line(s). Getting the characters thinking about the story is half the battle. I'm not as up on the current state of affairs in the Accordlands (post-4th Edition story lines), so I'm not much help there, but good luck and best wishes for your game!

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

MomofEaglett wrote:
:) Neat ideas. Hope you find some good players for this. Where are you planning on running it when you get started?

I've got players, my friends all look to me to DM for us so that isn't really a problem. Though they prefer plot light games. :(

Quote:
I thought the 4 Elven Elements and the Storm were both different parts of the Great Dragon that Athaneas slew. At first I didn't think it was feasible that the Strom would be able to destroy them, since they all used to be part of the same whole. But the human body is tricked into attacking itself all the time (cancer, allergies, for example), so why shouldn't Morghen be able to trick these former Dragon parts into destroying each other. I'll buy it.

Actually, to my understanding the elements were not part of the dragon per se, they're his curse on the universe.

Quote:
But, if he succeeds, what effect will that have on the rest of the Dragon's parts? The Abyssals spawned from his rotting carcass deep within the earth? The Dragon orbs, it's unborn children?

If he succeeds, hopefully the elves will rediscover their gods, but until they do, their access to divine powers will be greatly limited. It'd be worth it to restore them to their previous state though. I don't believe it will necessarilly effect the rest of the dragon, though if it turns out the elements are stronger and they begin syphoning (spelling?) power from the storm itself, that might cause a proverbial [Censor: poo] storm.

Quote:
What would happen to the Devs if they suddenly lost their god? Or the Elves if the Elements were destroyed? Sure, the living Elves would no longer suffer an early death, but weren't the severed created by clerics of those Elements? If the Elements are destroyed, would the severed and other immortals made using their power also be destroyed? That possibility makes for a great internicine subplot for living Elves versus undead Elves.

I, personally think the severed might be close enough to return to life, still having a constitution and all, but it does make a good side plot, especially since no one actually knows for sure what would happen. This is the reason Morghen's doing things the way he is, instead of simply announcing what he's going to do and doing it with the help of the rest of the elves. (That, and because the elements themselves, spirit especially, might attempt to stop him if they / it knew his plans.) The elven priests will loose their powers (I'm not a fan of casting powerful magic by faith alone).

Quote:
Or, what if subjecting the Elements to trial by Storm only unites them together again, instead of destroying one or the other, like grafting an appendage back onto the main body. If the Storm is the Dragon's soul, maybe the Elements are its link to its body (or embodiments of its hatred for all life. I'm kind of fuzzy on how, exactly, they're connected to the Great Dragon). Maybe Morghen will actually be that much closer to resurrecting the Great Dragon. Which can be momentus or horrorific, depending on how you want that to go.

I believe the two things needed to resurrect the great dragon are the abyss and the storm (not sure what part Bascaron plays).
Spoiler:
In the campaign book the Medusan Lords attempt to resurrect the great dragon without the storm, and it fails, its heart starts to beat for a bit (if the pcs don't stop it) but the book says something like the dragon is too long dead to return.
Mouse over the black section to reveal text

Quote:
So, thought provoking plot line. Good job. Even if my particular thoughts don't mesh with your intended plot line(s). Getting the characters thinking about the story is half the battle. I'm not as up on the current state of affairs in the Accordlands (post-4th Edition story lines), so I'm not much help there, but good luck and best wishes for your game!

I dislike 4th edition, so if you have any thoughts you'd like to throw in I'd be more than happy to hear 'em and consider them.

Religion and churches are horrible things thought up by humans to judge and persecute those whom are not of their religion. They allow for fanatics to ruin a perfectly good faith by taking out extreme actions in the name of their god.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am
Profile YIM
Command Staff
Command Staff

King Alaric
The dwarves, thanks to the sacrifices of a King and a God among Elementals have sealed off the abyss. However, even though the war was won, many battles were lost.
Before the Abyss was sealed Prince Alaric, now King Alaric, was captured by the abyssals and changed. He was only in their hold for a few hours but during that time they changed him. He's now part abyssal and all the power of Kor's priests have not made him whole again.
However, the priests have assured the dwarves that Alaric is not an Abyssal nor is he under Abyssal control. Still some doubt and would have another king. The king's assassins decided to do their job and end the speaking against their king, but their tactics, now that the Abyssals are no longer (as much of) a threat only sparked more out rage and dissent.
Finally, since they have found some few of the ruins of where they once lived when they dwelled above the service before, some have began to realize that they once had gods other than Kor, and that if the priests of Kor are willing to lie in favor of their “king” that maybe the other gods are more worthy of worship, and a rare few are even beginning to wonder if they shouldn't have went under ground at all.

Eternal Emperor Rhawn D'Ilchant
The Eternal Emperor started an all out campaign to bring the whole world back under Deverenia. However, with the awakening of Legion the Storm calls out to him and he to it and Rhawn is now afraid that if the Storm, or he, gets anywhere near Legion, that the call might be irresistable. So he has returned to Luthlarius and the Storm again wanders rather than riding at the fore front of the battle.
This has demoralized the Deverenians slightly and has encouraged the people of Denska who are even now struggling mightilly, with the help of the Paladins of the Golden Dragon, to shake off the chains of Deverenia. Meanwhile, new warriros have invigorated the elves and now that Rathe is leading the assault against the Deverenian forces the assault on Myreth forest has stalled as well.
Faced with stalled battles all around Sir Rhawn has freed Inquisitor Chyre from his punishment to perform one last assignment, track down the Medusan Lord and slay him. If Chyre succeeds he will be allowed to walk into the storm, if he fails he obviously won't have that opportunity. However, Chyre is weak from his time with Slayer and needs help if he is to face the greatest of Abyssals.

Krun
Krun is no longer happy being the Lord of Baraxton and wishes to sieze the remainder of the Free Kingdoms and setup his own empire. He has mobilized the legions to start marching on the remaining kingdoms including Lyr which the elves have abandoned since their peace with the Freeks.
The Legion given the honor of sacking Lyr is the Legion of the Flame, whose leader (I forgot his name) is actually a Shaman dedicated to the Element of Flesh. They have uncovered the secrets of fell shamanism (a combination of necromancy and shamanistic magic) and are eager to show that their strength is greater than their numbers would lead others to believe.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 pm
Profile YIM
Writer
Writer

ShadowcatX wrote:
I believe the two things needed to resurrect the great dragon are the abyss and the storm (not sure what part Bascaron plays).
Spoiler:
In the campaign book the Medusan Lords attempt to resurrect the great dragon without the storm, and it fails, its heart starts to beat for a bit (if the pcs don't stop it) but the book says something like the dragon is too long dead to return.

Spoiler:
The Storm did turn up at the Medusan Lords' ritual - that is why Modred and the Stormborn were present at the corpse during the final showdown. The soul would have returned and caused the heart to start beating, but The Dragon would have died again soon after because Signon's plan succeeded - The Storm has been sculpted to a rudimentary personality at odds with that of Its original body.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Spoiler:
I wonder what would happened if you dragon soulled yourself during that period of time off of the heart you just jump started.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 pm
Profile YIM
Writer
Writer

ShadowcatX wrote:
Spoiler:
I wonder what would happened if you dragon soulled yourself during that period of time off of the heart you just jump started.

It's thinking like that that leads to evil overlord-dom.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Khilkhameth wrote:
ShadowcatX wrote:
Spoiler:

It's thinking like that that leads to evil overlord-dom.

Spoiler:
"I ate THE DRAGON's heart and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and the overlord trait." That aside, I bet the stormborn would be very upset. "You just ate my God."

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:32 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]