View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
[Play by Post] Ch. 2 Pierced by the storms of fate. 
n00b
n00b

Post Re: [Play by Post] Ch. 2 Pierced by the storms of fate.
Nightingale's eyes fall downcast for a moment. "Brother didn't get the chance to tell me a lot of things. He exhausted himself merely teaching me how to read. Many of the songs he taught me, or sang himself, didn't make much sense. He simply said that one day, they would. He did his best!" She smiles, then. "That's why I'm going to learn as much as I can, so I can show him!"

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:13 am
Initiate
Initiate

"Well, there's something else you've learned: the meaning of a word is affected by its context. That should help you as you compose your songs."

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm
n00b
n00b

"Yes, it very much will, Mr. Jackson!" she says joyfully as they walk. "Do you think Mr. Artemis is really ok by himself? Having had him near for so long, it feels weird to not be able to see him. Have you ever contracted to find a kidnapped Cardinal before?" Her thoughts and questions just kind of stream out randomly.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 pm
Initiate
Initiate

"Focus, Nightingale. What does your heart tell you about what is going on here? Do you see any patterns in your mind? Maybe it would help to think about this as a story. What are we missing? What other characters should there be? Where are these events leading us?"

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:30 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Down the street, you can see the Captain's Tower standing guard over the buildings crowded around it. The simple brick building hews to function rather than fashion, with a few small windows on each floor and no outside forms of decoration other than a national pendant. A guard stands beside the thick wooden door, watching the people pass by.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 pm
n00b
n00b

"Well . . . ," she replies thoughfully, "a good story would never give away a lot of whos and whys so soon. There are a number of possible characters, and if this were a story, we'd likely meet them all before learning which one is truly responsible. Was it an enemy of the Storm that wanted to deprive its worshippers of a dedicated temple? It would be a good way to lower the morale of the people, and make them easier to pursuade or conquer, depending on what they wanted to do.

"Has it nothing to do with religion at all, but simply a matter of personal grief? Did the Cardinal make an enemy as he rose through the ranks? An enemy acting either from jealousy, or its own sense of righteousness?

"It could be something as simple as something important to him being endangered, and he had to leave without word to persue it. The most effective way to kidnap someone is to convince them to go on his own two feet.

"But, the most interesting story would be that the Cardinal planned it all from the beginning, either from acting as a spy, or in pursuit of some other lofty goal, in which case his position was only a tool to aquire that end. Not that I'm saying the Cardinal would do such a thing, but were this a story . . . well, that would be the story I'd most like to hear and tell. That kind of unexpected end really makes people go away satisfied!"

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:55 am
Initiate
Initiate

Training and reflexes allow Jackson to maintain a background awareness of the street vendors, couples and groups strolling along the streets, and the occasional carriage rumbling by as he considers Nightingale's musings.

"Hmm. . . that last bit there would definitely make for a compelling tale. So far it seems that our situation here is rather more simple."

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:55 am
n00b
n00b

"Why do you say that, Mr. Jackson?" she asks. "Are you saying truth is simpler than stories?"

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 am
Initiate
Initiate

"I think its more an issue of the nature of life and what motivates people. Most issues can be narrowed down to a few basic principles: love [Jackson 'hmphs' at this point], hate, greed, love of power. Everything else is merely a tapestry hanging over hard stone."

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:37 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Approaching the Captain's Tower, the guard merely nods at you. Seems people are welcome to come and go as they need to, much like any other business. The interior of the tower is as bare as the exterior. There is a solid wood door across the room, and a set of thin stairs off to the right. A desk sits between them, two neatly piled stacks of paper on it. Between the stacks of paper, a man with a long nose and a short goatee is reading the page before him.

"What is your business today, sir?" he asks with barely a glance in your direction.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 am
n00b
n00b

Nightingale seems about to ask another question, but is distracted by the guard's query.

"Hello, Mr. Guard!" she interrupts with a bright smile. "How are you today? Thanks for protecting us!"

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:36 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

He gives her a small smile. "You're welcome, young miss. The safety of our citizens is important to us. I, however, am only a clerk here. If you'd like to speak with a guard, I could summon one for you." He gives both of you his full attention, setting down the page he was reading.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:50 am
n00b
n00b

"Oops!" she replies, a tad embarrassed. "Mr. Clerk, then! Or, if you prefer, Mr. your actual name, if you'll share it. I'm Nightingale, and this is Mr. Jackson." She gestures to her friend. "We're pleased to meet you! Are there any interesting stories on those papers?"

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

He looks a bit miffed at the impertinent question. "No. These reports are of no interest to you." He looks from her up to Jackson. "Now, if you'll please tell me your business, sir?"

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:21 am
Initiate
Initiate

Jackson replies in a respectful tone, "of course, sir. Mr. Forss set us to speak with Captain Halifax."

Tue May 04, 2010 4:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next