View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Purple People Eaters 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Purple People Eaters
Fade wrote:
What are you using to bring back Darkspawn later?
Aarrow76 wrote:
...just curious... Is there something to starting one Darkspawn and then maindecking The Earth instead of Duanna?....

It seems to me, efficiency is being able to sack, then retrieve either another thrall to sack -OR a daemon with a quick 12+ attack??..... (sin in discard, couple other daemons in front rank)... :shrug:
:lol: I was comparing Duanna to The Earth in the main deck... The Earth you can sac, grab the daemon and punch ... OR... you can sack, grab the Shulgi and sack/spend again. :P

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Fade wrote:
I still wouldn't do it.

You get the same option with Earth and Scrambler in the 2nd rank, without putting a gimp character like Darkspawn in you starting line up. 1 atk, 11 ac and only good if you get thrust/Marduk and the spawn survise your opponent's return strike.........not very stable.

With the line up I suggested, you don't lose as much defense and you still gain a little offensive punch.

Wheat/Devoted/Duanna
Earth/Scrambler

vs.

Darkspawn/Devoted/Duanna
Earth/Plentiful

Your little offensive threat is at more risk the way I see it. Unless you're suggesting a different start?
Fair enough... I agree... :thumbsup:

What about
Darkspawn/Devoted/Shulgi
Plentiful/Plentiful
?

That's still 9hp to chew through (unless they Ryan or Bosun the Devoted)... Would the Spawn be much of a liability then? I still think sacrificing a late game earth for spawn's strike is a huge payoff...

Last edited by Aarrow76 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

If you're starting this:

Darkspawn/Devoted/Duanna
Plentiful/Plentiful

.....and running Earth in the deck, I still don't like it. The obvious threat is the Darkspawn so it dies first. Then you're looking at having to draw into Earth just to get Spawn back after Marduk is in the discard. Earth eats up deckspace that could be used for something better. The Promised would be a better fit since it can get any daemon to the top deck.....MATI gets the better Daemon back in hand.... :thumbsup: I like this better than putting in Earth just to get Darkspawn back.

Since youre deck is working with higher rank personalities, it's probably best to keep with the full defense start. Let the big boys do the heavy lifting. Also, the 2 Duanna start allows you to have a recurring Thrall that doesn't eat up deck space. Very valuable for a deck that has so many sac outlets. Duanna is also one thrall that does have a favorable intearaction with Bal.

Last edited by Fade on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:36 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

:rofl: Spammer! :nonono:

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Actually it was supposed to be an edit since the first quote you grabbed was changed while re-reading your post.......cuz I obviously missed the point the first time I read it. :oops:

Does this mean I get a "get out of spam free" card to use at a later time? :shrug:

:P

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:43 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Aarrow76 wrote:
What about
Darkspawn/Devoted/Shulgi
Plentiful/Plentiful
?

That's still 9hp to chew through (unless they Ryan or Bosun the Devoted)... Would the Spawn be much of a liability then? I still think sacrificing a late game earth for spawn's strike is a huge payoff...

Here's the problem. You're filling the deck with Earth and weakening your start just for the chance at a late drop Darkspawn. Why not just keep the solid start and pack a spawn or two for a late play? It's going to have the surprise factor since your opponent never sees it until the spawn hits play. But, when packing a late play level 1 daemon, Galgalax should be your choice.....unless your meta is full of wizards.

IMO Pazu trumps them both. You should almost always have 2 Daemons in your front rank. Dropping a 7 atk 17 ac thrall, in between them will serve you better in the long run. He'll get you a decent swing while having better AC, and is a fighter to make use of IHYB. OR you just sac him for some other effect after he's gotten his swing.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

:yes: Yeah, I suppose... I just don't like Duanna in the deck... Her recycle ability craps up your hand more than she helps you out... I'd rather get a +7/17AC w/riposte or The Earth (for two sacs).... or the obvious Seed/Tam!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

If you're worried about Duanna gumming up your hand then I'd just keep the one in the start. I rarely put her in the deck unless it's a heavy thrall based deck. I wouldn't cut her altogether though since you're running 3x Bal and she's one of the few thralls that works with him.

If you want to be a little more aggressive but not lose too much defense then I'd recommend:

Wheat/Devoted/Duanna
Earth/Scrambler

You'l end up with 7 hps to chew through while getting some sort of effect off your Earth sac to Galam. You'll have an early threat of Scrambler should you get Thrust/Marduk early. And if you really have to switch up your line up to something full defense, Wheat, Earth, and Scrambler are all decent late game plays.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

i like the scrambler a lot, but i just cant do away with the 2hp second rank, im too paranoid of the range strike destroying my ability to ranch effectivly.

and with darkspawn, he works in a daemon rush deck, and not a build deck, ya a big boost from Sin-Marduk late turn drop would be great, but thats relying on one card in the deck to be in the discard pile.

and i think earth is too little too late whenever you use her ability personally.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Using Earth to retrieve a level 1 is generally not worth the inclusion. I do like her in the opening line up from the standpoint of playing and moving your daemons. You can pretty much count on drawing a level 4 daemon, and you're probably going to want to push it forward to at least help stabalize your ranks. Earth has been a staple for the Pagobomb deck since it started and if you run Pago, it's not a bad idea for a start. When I tested my version of Galam, I believe I went to this line up about the same time I started testing the inclusion of Pago since it's something that can handle the huge Thrall investment, without completely devastating your ranks.

Maybe not the best start for the decklist you have, but, something worth considering if you plan on mixing your strategy up a bit. If you face something that can't threaten you second rank, it might not be a bad idea to have an alternate start available.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:08 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

alright, i made a few changes now that the set is out, and its a beast :twisted:

changes from the main decklist on page 1:

start is now:
shulgi, devoted, shulgi
scrambler x2
Galam

took out Garowl for duanna.

small changes i know, but it makes a pretty big differance. i have now tested Coordinated Assault, and ME LIKES!!! i will be putting a second one in. i cant wait to bring this to an actual tournament and see how it fares. I'll post more about it then.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

How about Seize the Moment?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:48 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

i thought about it, but i dont know what to take out for it.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:39 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

I love this Shulgi/Devoted start for Galam-Reth! I've only played 6 games with it so far, but it's awesome when you get a first-action Pagophoros or Bal-Benoth. I went with Frostscale for the shield slot and it is CLUTCH. Laugh off Shroud of Lost Souls checks, stun checks, big melee strikes, etc. Fully geared up, Galam hits 27 AC with the react.

I also find that the deck is thrall-hungry turns 1 and 2 but after that I can usually go without the sacrifices and just move up with steeds. Ryan Mornington and Bosun Blacknose have yet to prove a serious problem for the start. 'Throg blitz is a little tougher, I'll test that one some more this week. I'll post my build after a little more testing/tweaking.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

cool, i havent really run into any problems with this deck as of yet. setrokh is a powerful match up with this deck, but i can still get the V.

i mainly go with dragon buckler, cause it does everything i want in one card. item destruction, double wounding, atk, and def. i cant really ask for more from just one card.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next