View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 am



Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Nin-Gula: the basics 
Author Message
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Oak Park, IL
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Cool. Stuff like Moldering Cur need fixin' too. A whole set has been missed.

_________________
Have a rules question? There's a forum for that!
I reserve the right to ignore all rules-related PMs that I deem should be asked there. 8)


Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:57 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 1100
Location: CT
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Kerebrus wrote:
Cannot use Fervor on yourself. Boo.

already built, tested, and decommissioned the Nin Gula Death Parrot deck that Malexin and I dreamed up.

Key cards:
War Eagle
Fervor
Blind Vengeance
Potion of Strength

p'kaw! hit for three from two ranks away



That would or would not work?!?!?

War eagle strikes as if a fighter, but does not say as if a character, is it assumed or in the rules that any item which acts as a fighter or any other class or even classless is considered a character during it's use? If not, no blind vengeance, no fervor, no potion of strength for the war eagle, however if this is legal I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea.

_________________
Oremm wrote:
Galam goes around killing things all willy-nilly, so the charges get silly


Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: In ur base, killing ur doods!!!
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Restomagus wrote:
Kerebrus wrote:
Cannot use Fervor on yourself. Boo.

already built, tested, and decommissioned the Nin Gula Death Parrot deck that Malexin and I dreamed up.

Key cards:
War Eagle
Fervor
Blind Vengeance
Potion of Strength

p'kaw! hit for three from two ranks away



That would or would not work?!?!?

War eagle strikes as if a fighter, but does not say as if a character, is it assumed or in the rules that any item which acts as a fighter or any other class or even classless is considered a character during it's use? If not, no blind vengeance, no fervor, no potion of strength for the war eagle, however if this is legal I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea.


Your opponent can kill it with reacts, riposte, etc. as a character, so I can't see why it wouldn't be treated as such for your benefit.

_________________
Team Dodo!!
DWCATST


Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 pm
Profile
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Oak Park, IL
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Restomagus wrote:
War eagle strikes as if a fighter, but does not say as if a character, is it assumed or in the rules that any item which acts as a fighter or any other class or even classless is considered a character during it's use? If not, no blind vengeance, no fervor, no potion of strength for the war eagle, however if this is legal I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea.

Totally works.

I can't think of anything that uses 'as a character' or similar text, but anything that does give a class (including classless - I'm looking at you, Living History) plus character stats is adequate to stop there. :)

_________________
Have a rules question? There's a forum for that!
I reserve the right to ignore all rules-related PMs that I deem should be asked there. 8)


Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am
Posts: 938
Location: Somerset, MA
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Been thinking of building her lately, but I'm having trouble coming up with an item and action list for her. Here's what I got going for characters so give you guys an idea of what I'm going for.

2x Mitrasz
1x The Devoted
2x Kalih (Not sure if this is a good idea, might go Winti and Wailing Scrambler)
Nin-Gula

2x The Devoted
3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
3x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
1x Ygrassyne

Been looking at the new cards, and I'm thinking stuff like Fields of Sorrow and Defiant could go in. Not sure if it's better to put in Embolden or Lift up your voices. Other then that I'm really not sure what to put into the deck. Help? :D

_________________
2011 NY Winter Campaign - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
GenCon 2011 - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
2012 RI Winter Campaign - Top 8/Top The Chosen (Nin-Gula)
2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)


Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:38 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Zeath wrote:
Been thinking of building her lately, but I'm having trouble coming up with an item and action list for her. Here's what I got going for characters so give you guys an idea of what I'm going for.

2x Mitrasz
1x The Devoted
2x Kalih (Not sure if this is a good idea, might go Winti and Wailing Scrambler)
Nin-Gula

2x The Devoted
3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
3x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
1x Ygrassyne

Been looking at the new cards, and I'm thinking stuff like Fields of Sorrow and Defiant could go in. Not sure if it's better to put in Embolden or Lift up your voices. Other then that I'm really not sure what to put into the deck. Help? :D

With the Cantor trait, LUYV is much better, since it blankets the entire army instead of just one rank. Also, it's only level 4, so Yil-Grayl and Ygrassyne can cast it too. LUYV + Yil-Grayl's order is an effective +8 to +10 to everything (depending on the caster.)

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Last edited by Oremm on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:36 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 3299
Location: In ur base, killing ur doods!!!
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
I would consider Corvus and Canticle. If anything, probably Canticle.

_________________
Team Dodo!!
DWCATST


Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am
Posts: 938
Location: Somerset, MA
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Oremm wrote:
Zeath wrote:
Been thinking of building her lately, but I'm having trouble coming up with an item and action list for her. Here's what I got going for characters so give you guys an idea of what I'm going for.

2x Mitrasz
1x The Devoted
2x Kalih (Not sure if this is a good idea, might go Winti and Wailing Scrambler)
Nin-Gula

2x The Devoted
3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
3x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
1x Ygrassyne

Been looking at the new cards, and I'm thinking stuff like Fields of Sorrow and Defiant could go in. Not sure if it's better to put in Embolden or Lift up your voices. Other then that I'm really not sure what to put into the deck. Help? :D

With the Cantor trait, LUYV is much better, since it blankets the entire army instead of just one rank. Also, it's only level 4, so Yil-Grayl and Ygrassyne can cast it too. LUYV + Yil-Grayl's order is an effective +8 to +10 to everything (depending on the caster.)


Lift up is nice, but the reason I was considering Embolden is because my starting front rank is all good characters. Lift up doesn't effect them at all since they don't share an alignment with Ms. Fatty, so it would be dead if I get it turn 1. Embolden gets the front rank even if they are good, but doesn't add skill and is only for the front rank. Both have merits to them, but I think I'm going to try Lift up first since three people can cast it and it works for everyone else other then my starting front rank.

RandomNothrog wrote:
I would consider Corvus and Canticle. If anything, probably Canticle.


I've tried Corvus in other decks, and I haven't gotten much use out of it. Canticle on the other hand seems like a great idea. Embolden or Lift up the army/front rank and then give someone you want to stay around an extra buff.

_________________
2011 NY Winter Campaign - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
GenCon 2011 - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
2012 RI Winter Campaign - Top 8/Top The Chosen (Nin-Gula)
2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)


Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Oh, don't forget Song of Strength. It's a miniature LUYV without the spending.

Also, the EARLY CoG version of this that I was running is here:
http://temple-of-lore.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=31073&start=57. Could be some better choices, but it was working very reliably. Backbiter obviously > Tzin's Blades but Backbiter wasn't out yet back then.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm
Profile
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 6756
Location: Order of the Doomed Legion
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Iceman and I would say that you guys are doing Nin-Gula wrong.

which reminds me, I need to find space in the Nin-Gula deck for Blessed Bangle

Front rank is where the magic happens (and need to find space for Draw the Essence)

_________________
Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)


Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:27 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Kerebrus wrote:
Iceman and I would say that you guys are doing Nin-Gula wrong.

which reminds me, I need to find space in the Nin-Gula deck for Blessed Bangle

Front rank is where the magic happens (and need to find space for Draw the Essence)

Well colour me confused. Wouldn't Naram-Sin do that a whole lot better? Embolden trumps out Putrescence, plus he can use the Maul of Justice to greater effect. 6 Swings above +20 for 2 wounds each!

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 6756
Location: Order of the Doomed Legion
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
too many turns at 12 AC. and no practical use for the Harvest.

that would be the short answer.

Naram-sin would be better in the front rank role, even bringing better items into the equation, but I cannot figure an easy way to get into "beast mode" any earlier than turn 2/3, and the acceleration methods heavily impact the offense that you can create.

and style points.

_________________
Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)


Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am
Posts: 938
Location: Somerset, MA
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Kerebrus wrote:
too many turns at 12 AC. and no practical use for the Harvest.

that would be the short answer.

Naram-sin would be better in the front rank role, even bringing better items into the equation, but I cannot figure an easy way to get into "beast mode" any earlier than turn 2/3, and the acceleration methods heavily impact the offense that you can create.

and style points.


Using 3x Redu Zayd, 2x Shonta, and getting a The Harvest you could possibly get to beast mode turn 1. The massive downside to that is that means all 3 of your guys in the front died to get that. I use them up front half as a way to level faster, but half as a way to keep from losing ranks. Some of my opponents were too scared to kill them out of fear of Naram getting beastly faster when I played Naram for a bit. I took him apart, but not because he was bad just wanted to try Nin-Gula.

Also Song of strength seems like a great choice to go into her. I'll keep your thread in mind when trying to figure out actions and items. Thanks Oremm :)

_________________
2011 NY Winter Campaign - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
GenCon 2011 - Top Mercenary (Shah'syss)
2012 RI Winter Campaign - Top 8/Top The Chosen (Nin-Gula)
2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)


Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm
Profile
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Oak Park, IL
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
While I am still very happy with the front-rank NG deck, I will suggest...

Zeath wrote:
2x Mitrasz
1x The Devoted
2x Kalih (Not sure if this is a good idea, might go Winti and Wailing Scrambler)
Nin-Gula

2x The Devoted
3x Redu Tam
3x Redu Carr
3x Redu Firam
1x Yil-Grayl
3x The Seed
3x Master Naxagoras
1x Ygrassyne

Been looking at the new cards, and I'm thinking stuff like Fields of Sorrow and Defiant could go in. Not sure if it's better to put in Embolden or Lift up your voices. Other then that I'm really not sure what to put into the deck. Help? :D

If you don't run Embolden, then the start you have is the way to go - you're going to want the best AC you can get for your front line.
I like both cards for this deck, to be honest. But I run trips of Ygrassyne and one Mistress Dagani so there are plenty of casters. Oh, and Master Ashtaroth is awesome at getting your guys their boosts asap.
I don't find Master Nax to be all that great in Nin-Gula. :shrug:

For items and actions, movement is the first key. Totem Crawler, Giant Turtle, Camel (since you've got multiple classes).
Then throw in defensive items and actions that impact more than one character (Blackstone Spaulders, Cauterize, Song of Strength, even Breastplate of Power).
Lastly, add offense. Lift, Embolden, and Wyvern Gem (much easier to equip than backbiter and almost as effective).
Don't forget the kewl stuff. Hod's Legacy and Fountain of Tears

Have fun!

_________________
Have a rules question? There's a forum for that!
I reserve the right to ignore all rules-related PMs that I deem should be asked there. 8)


Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am
Posts: 1100
Location: CT
Post Re: Nin-Gula: the basics
Iceman wrote:
I run trips of Ygrassyne!


That is highly, highly inappropriate (in a good way). If you manage to get 3 ygrassyne's in play at the same time, each thrall you kill gets 3 built in beyond the grave's (thinking ruash-shan because he has unlimited thrall sac), that is just nasty!!! time to make a ruash cleric build . . . :twisted:

_________________
Oremm wrote:
Galam goes around killing things all willy-nilly, so the charges get silly


Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.