View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
The Chosen of 4e: Naram-Sin 
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post The Chosen of 4e: Naram-Sin

Hi. I'm Bach. I don't play The Chosen.

But you do.

Please fill in the blanks in the posts below, and I'll edit it into this post.

Description
Flavorful description of this Warlord. Include links to high placing tournament decklists.

Common Deck Styles

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Naram-Sin deck]
Common Starts

Characters

Actions

Items

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 pm
Initiate
Initiate

Post Re: The Chosen of 4e: Naram-Sin
i'm not going to fill this in jut yet, i'm working on a full scale report on naram ATM. i might fill in the other warlords ones prior to making more in-depth posts later

(although meatloafman is a close second cause he plays dwarfs =P)

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

The trick with naram-sin is to run 25 duanna's and then throw in multi-wounding like flank attack and chosen and things like that.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:25 pm
Initiate
Initiate

BB. wrote:
The trick with naram-sin is to run 25 duanna's and then throw in multi-wounding like flank attack and chosen and things like that.

then why naram sin- nin gula could do it better, and you arnet going to last 10 turn untill he's ready to have 10 charges...
face it, eating 1 duanna a turn, drawing 3-4 duanna's a turn, anyone who manages to drop a level 4 character will destroy you, flank attack only makes her strike +6 for two, while the level 4 guy kills 2 duanna's, very possibly survives the strike, then kills even more next turn...
IMO, terrible idea

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:17 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Telepath wrote:
BB. wrote:

then why naram sin- nin gula could do it better, and you arnet going to last 10 turn untill he's ready to have 10 charges...
face it, eating 1 duanna a turn, drawing 3-4 duanna's a turn, anyone who manages to drop a level 4 character will destroy you, flank attack only makes her strike +6 for two, while the level 4 guy kills 2 duanna's, very possibly survives the strike, then kills even more next turn...
IMO, terrible idea

Lol it was a joke with bach because someone at an NJ tourney actually did that...

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:13 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

It actually won a duel, lol. Might even had been against Bobby's Gethseme. :lol:

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:32 pm
Initiate
Initiate

well if nothing else it's one gutsy balls-out tactic lol.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:12 pm
Initiate
Initiate

I'm writing a full report on naram, but it might not be done in time for spring break, and if itsnot ill be out of country and wthout computer access. So for the time being i'll let you guys take a peak at my personall "beast mode" proxy. Artwork by Partrick Reilly, artist of the promo alt-art Naram-sin

It's my first ever Gimp project, and i know the text is a little wrong font/size wise, but i hope you like it

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Until I have time to write more about this guy:

Characters:Yil-Grayl, Ygrassyne, Mistress Sanai, Shonta, The Harvest, The Seed - Thralls, Thralls and more Thralls. Naram needs all he can eat, and they have to be high-level to get to beastmode by turn 2. Garowl is a great source of wound removal/use for thralls after Naram beasts out.

Items:
Naram will be going to the front to wreck some face, so he'll need some defenses. Blessed Vestments gives him a 5th hit point, and Bruntor's Helm can give him a 6th. Shield of the Simurgh can stop multi-wounding in its tracks - a KEY defense in 4th Edition. In place of the armor and helm above, Iridescent Armor can provide 1 HP and Magic Resistance, another key defensive component in the current environment. With APS 23, Naram (like pretty much any fighter) is going to like Backbiter for the multi-wounding.

Actions:
Divine Barrier,Blood for Blood, Divine Guidance, Holy Might. Especially if you are going with the Shield of the Simurgh - wound removal is going to be more important than prevention.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Don't forget Bloodoak Staff if you're not running Shield. Staff turns your opponent's potential kills into your thrall sacs and opens up more of your sac abilities.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

You will serve me, and I will give you purpose.

Description
Naram-Sin, the premiere Chosen warlord, is what the chosen is all about. He makes those who serve him as thralls stronger, but has a sinister plan in mind for them. With power comes responsibility, and his thralls responsibility is to make him stronger. After sacrificing enough of his minions he becomes a beast, slaughtering his enemies with the power close to that of a god.

Common Deck Styles
1. Frontliner (most common) - He does this a little differently then other warlords who spend time in the front rank. He has to wait at least two turns until he is good enough to stand a chance in the front, so you have to play defense first, then offense.
2. Thrall Support - This is an idea that I thought of, but haven't seen done yet. He gives a buff to all thralls. There are a few other Chosen that do the same, such as Master Mardu, Master Naxagoras, and Master Tir-Koltis. This style of play might be better out of Nin-Gula, but Naram is a Cleric so he can protect his army just as well. This can be a mix of wennie blitz and cav, but I think it's a category all its own.
3. Cav. - Like any other Cleric Warlord, he can sit in rank 2 or 3 and just work to protect his army and send up his other characters. Level 3, 4, and even 5 characters could be used, depending on which rank you want to hang out in for the game.

Card Pool
[Cards marked with a "*" are staple uncommon or common cards, found in almost any style of Naram-Sin deck]
Common Starts
● 3xForest People, 2x Shonta - This start works to try and get a high level thrall for Naram to kill.
● 2x Forest People, The Devoted, 2x Shonta - Same idea, but with a little more rank stability
● 2x Duanna, The Devoted, 2x Shonta - This is more for people who want recurring thralls. Duanna gets put back into the deck after she dies, even if the opponent kills her.
2x Shulgi, The Devoted, 2x Shonta - This was the start I first tried. It helped by time by having the opponent hit The Devoted first before attacking Shulgi so that they don't spend, which helps keep ranks and buy time to get higher level thralls into play.

If anyone has more starts to add, please add them!

Characters
The Seed, The Harvest, Redu Tam are the three best thralls to kill for just about any effect. The Harvest gets more charges onto Naram, getting him closer to becoming a beast. The Seed and Redu can be killed more then once, helping to keep your ranks together.
Amends, Winti, Britomar, Enhe, Harem Guard, Shalta, The Earth - These are Thralls that are also worth looking at, depending on your style of play. Amends is a great choice for those who want to be a frontliner, allowing Naram to attack without spending after he becomes a beast. The rest of the thralls have different situations to when to be killed, so it all depends on play style.
Mistress Sanai, Mistress Tamine, Garowl, Yil-Grayl, Ygrassyne - These are some non-thrall choices that work well with Naram. Mistress Sanai can ready any Chosen after you've killed enough thralls, Tamine can take advantage of any surviving Shontas to get a gross amount of ranged strikes off. Graowl and Yil-Grayl can help Naram with healing and debuffing.

Actions
Minor Miracle, Soothing Waters, Holy Might, Cauterize, Final Blessing - He's a Cleric. Healing is their thing!
Aegis - This is for the frontliner version of Naram. It's like his own personal Minor Miracle.
Divine Guidance - Naram attacking 4 times in a row is scary. Naram readying after swinging 4 times is even scarier.
Quick Shielding, Quick Strength, Lift Up Your Voices, Ferocious - For those who want to have Naram support the army rather then take the helm
[*] Putrescence - If Naram is going to be upfront this will help him take out any high AC characters the opponent might have.
[*] Obliterate, Bloodthirsty - Remember, Naram becomes a fighter after he beasts out. I wouldn't put many fighter actions/items in the deck because he might not becomes a monster right away and there's the possibility of dead cards in the first few hands because of this, though an Obliterating Naram is extremely scary.

Items
Blessed Vestments, Earth Mephit, Helm of Kor, Bruntor's Helm, Iridescent Armor - Defensive items for Naram, some only being usable after he gets 10 charges. With the Helm you could ready if the opponent readies someone, which there is a bit of in this format.
Maul of Justice Backbiter, Niobe's Leaf - Some weapons he could use, for different reasons. With the Maul your attack could become ungodly, but with only one attack being able to do multi-wounding. The Backbiter gives multi-wounding, but at a price if you miss. The Leaf will get some of your thralls back into the deck for more sacrificing.
Chariot of Shell, Camal, Griffon of Misear - All decent choices for steeds. Chariot would be the most likely option for the upfront deck style, giving others an attack bonus while giving yourself one.
Ring of the Savant - Amazing with just about all Clerics.

So far it seems that no one has one a single event with Naram-Sin.

If anyone would like to add anything to this/dispute anything I have put up, feel free to do so! ^.^

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Sat May 28, 2011 9:36 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Yeah, no has been able to defeat anyone but Sin-Marduk with Naram, sadly.

Solid write-up. Two things I like to put in my Naram deck...
Ancient Scimitar for healing 'on the go'. Not as good with Backbiter available, but still decent.
Cure Lethal Wounds for healing in bulk. You have 4 to 6 hit points, take advantage of that. It's probably the only spend-order I include that only Naram can cast.

Also, I have come to like Mistress Dagani more and more of late. She might not fit here, but she does provide rank-holding (w/ leveling!) and the ability to cast CLW.

-VIC

ps
I have tried the thrall-support approach and thralls are just generally too sub-par for it to work. Master Mardu needs sacrifices (and his bonus is level-based so cycling Duanna is pointless), Tir-Koltis is limited to a single stat, etc. Nin-Gula just does it better.

Mon May 30, 2011 10:36 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Iceman wrote:
Yeah, no has been able to defeat anyone but Sin-Marduk with Naram, sadly.

Solid write-up. Two things I like to put in my Naram deck...
Ancient Scimitar for healing 'on the go'. Not as good with Backbiter available, but still decent.
Cure Lethal Wounds for healing in bulk. You have 4 to 6 hit points, take advantage of that. It's probably the only spend-order I include that only Naram can cast.

Also, I have come to like Mistress Dagani more and more of late. She might not fit here, but she does provide rank-holding (w/ leveling!) and the ability to cast CLW.

-VIC

ps
I have tried the thrall-support approach and thralls are just generally too sub-par for it to work. Master Mardu needs sacrifices (and his bonus is level-based so cycling Duanna is pointless), Tir-Koltis is limited to a single stat, etc. Nin-Gula just does it better.

I've beaten quite a few people with Naram, but never entered a tournament with him. Maybe I'll get lucky and pilot him through GenCon XD

Thanks for the additions, and I thought of the thrall-support idea as I was doing the write up. Never seen it done, and yeah I think Nin-Gula can easily do it better, but it's an idea at least.

Cure Lethal is something I completely overlooked for him. I would rather spend to kill the opposing army, but he can ready himself pretty easily and, like you said, Mistress D can do it as well.

Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Few more additions to Naram's cardpool.

Blessed Bangle gives Naram an additional attack and lets him unstun anyone that falls up next to him. Having 5 strikes after becoming a huge beast scares even the most well armed warlords.

Draw The Essence gives another strike until the end of turn, as well as gives you some well needed healing. Coupled with the Bangle you'll be swinging 6 times! (+10/+5/+5/+5/+5/+8).

Fields of Sorrow can help get thralls back if you're running him with only a few thralls. Not the greatest for Naram, but it's worth a look. Especially if you're looking for another item to get your Common Blade to do 2 wounds.

Redu Firam If you're not killing him for 4+ charges then he can get big and be something else for the opponent to hit other then your Warlord. Better out of other Wls like Ruash and Nin-Gula, but still worth it if only for a lvl 4 thrall.

Redu Carr aka speedy thrall! Either sac him for the charges and the extra card or kill a different thrall to move him forward a rank.

Redu Zayd Unless you're up against Ryan Mornington then this guy will help Naram become a beast quickly. If you get Naram to 10 charges before all three of them are dead then put charges on Mistress Sanai, Redu Firam, or take charges away from opposing characters (Yvaalis, an opposing Naram or Firam, Korvos).

Kalih if you're running heavy on the thralls and want to buff them a bit.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Embolden seems like a natural fit for this deck. Naram can just spend for it in the early turns to buff his front rank and then when hes up front smashing face he doesnt have to spend for it.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]