View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Naram, the giant purple people eater 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Naram, the giant purple people eater
Since I got back into Warlord and found out that there was a brand new faction I've been trying to build Narim-Sin. I've done it a few times, and each time was...pretty bad. This is my current version of it.

Naram-Sin
2x Shonta
2x Duanna
The Devoted

Characters:

3x Amends
3x The Harvest
Mistress Sanai
2x The Devoted
2x Winti
3x The Seed
Duanna
Yil-Grayl
2x Garowl
Mistress Tamine (More of an experiment atm. Only got her out once so far and it was really funny to kill a Harvest for 7 +4 ranged strikes XD Likely removing her though)

I need to find room to put in 2 or 3x Redu Tam. He's so awesome. Thinking of losing the random Duanna and maybe the Wintis so I can add them.

Items:

3x Maul of Justice
3x Chariot of Shell
3x Blessed Vestments
2x Earth Mephit
Imperial Scepter
2x Ring of the Savant

This seems to work for me pretty well. Might try 3x Backbiter instead of the Maul though. The 1 of Imperial Scepter though I'm not sure on. Might up it to 2 or get rid of it.

Actions:

3x Soothing Waters
2x Putrescence
3x Divine Guidance
3x Aegis

I like Putrescence, but sometimes tells me I could stand to lose it in place of something else. It's helped me win games though.

So far I've tested this version against a few decks and it's improved from what I first made it. It still has an issue with blitz style decks, but the Soothing Waters and stuff like that help a little. The point of the deck is to, as with most Naram decks, beast out as fast as possible. Thoughts?

2012 NJ Winter Campaign - First place (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 4 Singles (Set'Rokh)
GenCon 2012 - Top 2 Doubles (Set'Rokh/King Alaric)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:28 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Post Re: Naram, the giant purple people eater
Solid deck, in a lot of ways. :thumbsup:

I like Forest People over Duanna, cause I'm more interested in burning through the deck for either 3rd level thralls or good items than in re-drawing them. And they just might reach level 4 or 5 on their own.

Tamine can be fun. But with late-game cards like Garowl, you might want Ygrassyne instead.
Redu Tam is wonderful in Naram - he "wolfs out" then can equip any fighter items you might run, plus he keeps the +1/+1 bonus since he stays a Thrall.

Nice item selection.
I like Ancient Scimitar more than the Maul though. And you're right - Backbiter is probably worth a look.
The new Engraved Plate could be very nice (since you can react multiple times, including to your own spells), though it's hard to ignore Blessed Vestment's HP. :shrug:
I like Imperial Scepter - the bonus HP and medicine can really get you out of a jam.

Putrescence can be a game-winner, esp. combined with Divine Guidance. Chosen provides almost the same bonus (+4 atk vs -5 ac) and multi-wounding, if you're looking for alternatives.

Cheers.
-VIC

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

This is a decklist that I recently started putting together, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. You might get some ideas from it, but maybe not.

Start: (6)
1x Naram-Sin
2x Shonta
2x Shulgi
1x The Devoted

Characters: (15)
3x Redu Bir
3x Redu Tam
3x The Seed
3x The Harvest
2x The Devoted
1x Yil-Grayl

Items: (15)
2x Cowl of Knowledge
2x Inquisitor's Mask
2x Shield of the Simurgh
2x Earth Mephit
2x Healing Potion
2x Glacial Axe
3x Camel

Actions: (14)
3x Soothing Waters
3x Minor Miracle
2x Quick Shielding
2x Final Blessing
2x Cure Lethal Wounds
2x Holy Might

The deck runs a lot of healing and only cleric items instead of any fighter items to help prevent dead cards in the first couple of hands (which are of course the most critical). The start is meant to slow them down and hold ranks, and Shonta is the obvious second ranker. The characters consist almost entirely of level 3 Thralls to eat with the exception of The Devoted main-decked to hold the starting ranks. Let me know if you have any suggestions for my deck, because you have a lot more experience with Naram-Sin and The Chosen than I do!

KingofGlobia's Trading Post

Last edited by KingofGlobia on Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:58 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

KingofGlobia wrote:
The deck runs a lot of healing and only cleric items instead of any fighter items to help prevent dead cards in the first couple of hands (which are of course the most critical).

QFT. It might be me, but I find Naram needs to draw mostly Characters turn 1, Items turn 2 and then mostly Actions turn 3 and beyond in order to work effectively. Yil-Grayl turn 1 is GOLDEN, but you can guess how often that happens. (All you need is me, Little Bit of Luck! [pop pop]). It's a little slower, but Mistress Sanai and Ygrassyne are great early pulls also.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I don't mind a mix of pulls with this deck list, but I prefer not to get many items first turn. Either the characters or actions turn one will allow me to hold ranks enough to get half of my charges on. Then it can be anything turn two, just have to complete the 10 charges. I love getting The Harvest in either turn one or two, because it almost assures that I will get to 10 before turn three. I like to see the level 7 items before I hit the front rank, but I don't mind moving back and sacrificing a turn to get a couple of them on. This deck is more about lasting and beefing than quickly destroying their army through readying tech.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:25 am
Fails DC 2's
Fails DC 2's

Can't help but think 2 Backbitterm would be good here as well. Either Naram after he hulks out or for the Redu after they get sacked 2 +10 2 wounds is pretty nice, of course with no redu it's a dead card turn one. Just a thought.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:20 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Snake13 wrote:
Can't help but think 2 Backbitterm would be good here as well. Either Naram after he hulks out or for the Redu after they get sacked 2 +10 2 wounds is pretty nice, of course with no redu it's a dead card turn one. Just a thought.

When I get the new cards I'll give it a try. I can't make a good proxie at the moment for backbiter so I'm still using the Maul of Justice. I got 3x Redu Tam in the deck now, cutting 2x Winti and the Duanna I had in the deck.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Let me know how Backbiter works for you. I am concerned that it would be a dead card too often and that by lowering Naram-Sin's AC, it might expose him to even more peril if you are unable to go beast mode quickly. There is no doubt that it makes him quite scary once he is already buffed up, but I'm not worried about him so much once that happens (it's only before then that concerns me).

Mon May 02, 2011 9:06 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

KingofGlobia wrote:
Let me know how Backbiter works for you. I am concerned that it would be a dead card too often and that by lowering Naram-Sin's AC, it might expose him to even more peril if you are unable to go beast mode quickly. There is no doubt that it makes him quite scary once he is already buffed up, but I'm not worried about him so much once that happens (it's only before then that concerns me).

I *was* running it, and the -2 AC didn't matter when the opposing ranks were busy crumbling to a barrage of +11's for 2. Then again, Celestial Flame is almost as good since he's swinging so often that some of them are bound to be odd. Gotta find room for Amends now too...

Tue May 03, 2011 7:01 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

KingofGlobia wrote:
This is a decklist that I recently started putting together, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. You might get some ideas from it, but maybe not.

Start: (6)
1x Naram-Sin
2x Shonta
2x Shulgi
1x The Devoted

Characters: (15)
3x Redu Bir
3x Redu Tam
3x The Seed
3x The Harvest
2x The Devoted
1x Yil-Grayl

Items: (15)
2x Cowl of Knowledge
2x Inquisitor's Mask
2x Shield of the Simurgh
2x Earth Mephit
2x Healing Potion
2x Bloodoak Staff
3x Camel

Actions: (14)
3x Soothing Waters
3x Minor Miracle
2x Quick Shielding
2x Final Blessing
2x Cure Lethal Wounds
2x Holy Might

The deck runs a lot of healing and only cleric items instead of any fighter items to help prevent dead cards in the first couple of hands (which are of course the most critical). The start is meant to slow them down and hold ranks, and Shonta is the obvious second ranker. The characters consist almost entirely of level 3 Thralls to eat with the exception of The Devoted main-decked to hold the starting ranks. Let me know if you have any suggestions for my deck, because you have a lot more experience with Naram-Sin and The Chosen than I do!

Shield and Staff Conflict with one another. I'd edit that item list a bit.

Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 pm
Nekomancer
Nekomancer

I got punched by naram like 20 times in one turn u_u

Tue May 03, 2011 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Fade wrote:

Ah, yeah, I see what you are saying. It would be better to include a different weapon then for sure. Any suggestions? Glacial Axe?

Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

melon wrote:
I got punched by naram like 20 times in one turn u_u

That's the kind of Naram deck I want XD Dealing out the pain as quickly as possible.

KingofGlobia wrote:
Fade wrote:

Ah, yeah, I see what you are saying. It would be better to include a different weapon then for sure. Any suggestions? Glacial Axe?

If you want to try to recur your thralls then Niobe's Leaf might be worth checking out, though you'll likely be attaching them to your mask so maybe not. Quake Hammer might be another item you could look into.

My experiences with Shulgi hasn't been that great. People usually would hit my devoted, then hit the other devoted, then hit Shulgi so I couldn't use my react. You might want to try something else, either Forest People or Duanna.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:01 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I would rather they hit The Devoted, because that buys me the time I need to use the Shontas on whatever level 3 Thrall I get. And if they don't hit your Shulgis, you can always swing to try to knock out their strikes. Glacial Axe is nice, because you can react with Soothing Waters from your strikes, but I wish there were better options without going the fighter item route.

Wed May 04, 2011 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]