View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
The Big Idea 
Command Staff
Command Staff

Post The Big Idea
So, the wonderful thing about Warlord is that each faction, Mercs included, have a inherent method of victory. However, I have a real hard time wrapping my head around The Chosen (among others: Freeks, Throgs).

So what I want to know is: what do you look for, as in mechanics, for an inclusion in a Chosen deck? What interactions do you look for? I know we have several different Warlords, and perhaps they can be broken down, but I would like to hear from the guys who actually build and play these decks what they like and go for.

kthx.

Malexin wrote:
There is a food chain. I am on top of it.

Malexin wrote:
...seed your tomato, for the love of god, seed your tomatoes...

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: The Big Idea
As near as I can tell the closest thing you can compare them to is the Mercs. They're not yet a very coherent faction as far as strategy goes. They're certainly not as simple as Nothrog or Dwarves. Multiple big strikes seems to be the order of the day though.

I've only had one chance to play with my The Chosen deck and so haven't really started tuning it. It's still without much direction other than "Hit stuff with the big Demons until it stops moving."

Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Since the Chosen require sacrificing characters, I look for powerful effects or combos that make those sacrifices meaningful. If there is a strong mechanic that either eases the cost of the sacrifice abilities or doesn't require a sacrifice cost to be effective, its usually considered.

Whenever I build Chosen, I build very Thrall heavy and include strong Masters/Daemons that are worth their ability. If you are going to sacrifice a character(as in kill, not pay for it like Redu Tam), you want to be able to kill at least of your opponent's characters in the process, or achieve a vital step into creating a critical (hopefully game-winning) play. An example of the latter is Sanga-Kish's ability.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:55 am
Nekomancer
Nekomancer

I like to eat my own people!

The Chosen, are eeevil. The good races tend to synergize statically. While the evil races tend to support one big guy through actions(often the warlord) or not synergize at all and be an army of individuals. Buut, being the baby of Warlord, The Chosen have gone through some growing pains. In the beginning, we were very concerned that they absolutely not could be over powered, so some of the characters ended up under powered. With each set, thralls have become easier to kill, easier to recur, and the effects of killing thralls has often gotten better.

There are multiple ways to win with The Chosen though, and it depends on your warlord, and what you want to do. I tend to think of how you win as Class based, not Faction based. Take elves for example, any elf deck can recur undead, you just have to decide if it's worth doing. Any Chosen deck can include a myriad of thralls to sacrifice, and masters to sacrifice them. You just have to decide if it's worth your time. Sometimes just hitting things with daemons works just as well. My Galem reth deck runs 3 devoted as the only thralls in the deck. If I made a nin-gula deck, it would probably have at least half thralls.

Anyway, I primarily like the chosen because they can result in the most complex card interactions as i eat my people react multiple times from the eating and gain abilities. It is great fun! (to me)

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Very thorough, Melon. Obviously, you understand the mechanics, and I have to compliment you and the rest of the design team on the newest The Chosen that have been spoiled. I love that Thralls are getting better and better, and it is good to know that they might enter the power curve and become truly competitive.

KingofGlobia's Trading Post

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 am
Nekomancer
Nekomancer

KingofGlobia wrote:
Very thorough, Melon. Obviously, you understand the mechanics, and I have to compliment you and the rest of the design team on the newest The Chosen that have been spoiled. I love that Thralls are getting better and better, and it is good to know that they might enter the power curve and become truly competitive.

Well..the newest sets add a lot to the game. I truly think that most deck styles are viable across factions. Obviously some do it better than others though. (ie, no matter how much i don't want to admit it, melee pinion is better than skyfire pinion)

I'm glad you like the new chosen so far =) Although, i think they've always been competitive, just much harder to use than the other factions because of their combo-ness and new-ness. ^_^ Ruash-shan is pretty crazy though... I still like Galem-reth better. =)

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

melon wrote:
(ie, no matter how much i don't want to admit it, melee pinion is better than skyfire pinion)

Well, to be fair, Skyfire Pinion was at one point better than melee Pinion, but the power curve eventually made Rogue melee.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]