View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Unbeatable Ship? 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Aarrow76 wrote:
Any player can pick this up and throw skill, dice, balance, and fun right out the window.

For a stupid Johnny Combo deck, it's got brutal consistency.

Simply put, you stun the Boat to the front with 1-3 scribed spells 1st turn, and drop your daemons on turn 2.

I'm interested in ideas to make it better, AND ideas to beat it.

Antimeta cards like Entomb, Easy Target, & D-Rift can stop it. But unless you're running Menhitiri, those aren't very popular topdeck cards.

The current version is:

1 Atiratu
3 Mitrasz
2 The Plentiful

3 Redu Carr
1 Redu Firam
3 Rhomelzard
1 Bem Kuandodo
2 Master Ashtaroth
3 Getraxos
1 Raging Hungerer
3 Shan-Kassyn
1 Utnapishtim
1 Sin-Marduk

3 I Call Forth Valor
3 Blood Price
3 Meet At The Inn
2 Life is Magic
1 Flame Blade
3 Counterspell
2 Tether

1 Eternity Gate
3 Limited Wish
1 Backbiter
3 Living Statue

Wouldn't ivaas be a good fit in this deck?

Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Ivaas...maybe. The hard part would be finding room to include him! I'll give a few swap-outs a try and see if he works.

Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 pm
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter

Ivvas is pretty tech in the deck IMO

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War

Wed May 02, 2012 5:58 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I like Eresh better. :wink:

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.

Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Restomagus wrote:
With sin-marduk in the deck I would be tempted to run one last time . . . then again if your deck is winning well don't fix what ain't broke
One last time has been added and dropped three times now, lol! It's definitely a great card, but it's almost as easy to drop Sin into play, as it is to discard to graveyard.

Kamacausey wrote:
Wouldn't ivaas be a good fit in this deck?
Ivaas was in the original build x3, but not being a daemon or a thrall really hurt... so I went to Oloidynatos, but then found out False Council wasn't a spell, so now Rhomelzard... but with these new ideas, he's worth trying out again!

Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.
Um..., "win!" and "win!" I want to test these right now!... Exploding thralls, MR, level 4 thrall, AND the ability to cast False council again... yes, please.

I've updated the decklist once again:
-3 Rhomelzard
-1 Redu Firam
+3 Ygrassyne
+1 Oloidyanatos

-2 Life is Magic
-1 Flame Blade
+2 False god's council
+2 Purify
(will drop one of them after testing)

Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 am
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter

Oremm wrote:

I currently run 2 purify in mine.

Ygrassyne could potentialy make your anyone a thrall in a pinch. ;)

EDIT: Oh and she only gives stormwraiths magic resistance.

Thu May 03, 2012 5:57 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:

Are you finding that Purify is really speeding things up? Also, Ygrassyne can hand out the Stormwraith trait to your Daemons, so the MR thing works :thumbsup:

Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter

Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:

Are you finding that Purify is really speeding things up? Also, Ygrassyne can hand out the Stormwraith trait to your Daemons, so the MR thing works :thumbsup:

:shock: :o :hyper: Ooooooh that's pretty sexy.

Yea, with a cleric in play the boat is ready to shore off some deamons a turn earlier. I play two ivvas and two Master Ash so it's not much off a problem; buy Ygrassyne is something I would like to see in this deck. The fact that she passes out MR means Counterspell could possibly not be needed.

Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:

:shock: :o :hyper: Ooooooh that's pretty sexy.

Yea, with a cleric in play the boat is ready to shore off some deamons a turn earlier. I play two ivvas and two Master Ash so it's not much off a problem; buy Ygrassyne is something I would like to see in this deck. The fact that she passes out MR means Counterspell could possibly not be needed.

Counterspell is just as useful to stop things like Embolden and Cauterize - which do not target your characters to trigger MR.

Fri May 04, 2012 5:54 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

So, today's event in NJ pretty much proved what I suspected: The Boat-Drop deck is NOT an environment-defining event. A solid build with a good pilot can take it out without the need for "ZOMG ANTI-BOAT META TECH." Also - it is not true that anyone can pick up this deck and sleepwalk into victory. Lastdragon21 is a more consistent tournament player than I am, and he also ran the Boat today but we did not end up in the finals together.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy that Team Purple has a strong toy to play with. But if you're trying to build the deck that wins GenCon - you've got to think about how to beat FreeKs more than you need to think about beating the Boat.

Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

My Atiratu deck is set up differentially due to card pool. Maybe a little more off/def first turn?What do you think about this?

Atiratu
Kalih x2
Pazu- Gara x3

add:
Bar'rax x3
Brilliant Scales x2
Bandage x2
Eternal Champion x2

Sun May 13, 2012 4:32 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Thanks for the recap, Rob!

I want to hear more about your final match with Setrokh!, and where you think the deck needs to go from here.

Was it lack of consistency to drop the boat? Was the boat not strong enough to fend off the throgs? Or was he too blitzy for you to handle?

As it stands, the boat does feel very overpowered to play against, but hasn't even won a tournament yet.

Sun May 13, 2012 5:44 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Oh gods. I had a huge, well-thought-out reply drafted and lost it when I tried to post. Silly Temple time-out. As best I remember it:
silkyjohnson wrote:
My Atiratu deck is set up differentially due to card pool. Maybe a little more off/def first turn?What do you think about this?

Atiratu
Kalih x2
Pazu- Gara x3

add:
Bar'rax x3
Brilliant Scales x2
Bandage x2
Eternal Champion x2

The multi-HP start is a must. Sac Mitrasz + Earth, react w/ Earth, get back the Mitrasz, play him again. It stops melee blitz cold. Splashing Cleric reduces consistency (as lastdragon21 can attest.)

Aarrow76 wrote:
Thanks for the recap, Rob!

I want to hear more about your final match with Setrokh!, and where you think the deck needs to go from here.

Was it lack of consistency to drop the boat? Was the boat not strong enough to fend off the throgs? Or was he too blitzy for you to handle?

As it stands, the boat does feel very overpowered to play against, but hasn't even won a tournament yet.

I was freakishly consistent. I got a turn 1 boat almost every game through the entire event. Both games against Zeath's Set'rokh were turn 1 boats. It just didn't matter when he could get Kul of Clan Tergoth, Razul, Bludgeon and Bokos all up front in 1 turn. He had too many big swings for 2 or 3 wounds, the couldn't all be stopped.

As for editing the deck, tough call. I got serious mileage out of EVERY card. Eternity Gate was great but I only drew into it in 2 games. Counterspell was HUGE against Niobe (no Emboldens for you!) and Kestrel (you name it, I countered it). If we had been going really tooth-and-nail, it could have swung the mirror match a few times. Good thing we weren't!

I've had my fun w/ the Boat - I think I'm going to tone the deck down for fun games (need to think of what to put instead of the 3 wishes I ripped.) If you're serious about making a run a GenCon with it, I think my version is the template and run the meta from there. Lastdragon21 might have more to add on the differences in the builds.

Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Did your deck have Sin-Marduk in it? If so were you able to utilize him effectively. I own one but decided not to include him in the deck or any of the rank building items.

Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next