View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Unbeatable Ship? 
Author Message
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 2397
Location: Owensboro, KY
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Aarrow76 wrote:
Any player can pick this up and throw skill, dice, balance, and fun right out the window.

For a stupid Johnny Combo deck, it's got brutal consistency.

Simply put, you stun the Boat to the front with 1-3 scribed spells 1st turn, and drop your daemons on turn 2.

I'm interested in ideas to make it better, AND ideas to beat it.

Antimeta cards like Entomb, Easy Target, & D-Rift can stop it. But unless you're running Menhitiri, those aren't very popular topdeck cards.

The current version is:

1 Atiratu
3 Mitrasz
2 The Plentiful

3 Redu Carr
1 Redu Firam
3 Rhomelzard
1 Bem Kuandodo
2 Master Ashtaroth
3 Getraxos
1 Raging Hungerer
3 Shan-Kassyn
1 Utnapishtim
1 Sin-Marduk

3 I Call Forth Valor
3 Blood Price
3 Meet At The Inn
2 Life is Magic
1 Flame Blade
3 Counterspell
2 Tether

1 Eternity Gate
3 Limited Wish
1 Backbiter
3 Living Statue


Wouldn't ivaas be a good fit in this deck?


Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Ivaas...maybe. The hard part would be finding room to include him! I'll give a few swap-outs a try and see if he works.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 668
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Ivvas is pretty tech in the deck IMO

_________________
Image

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War


Wed May 02, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 2969
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
I like Eresh better. :wink:

_________________
Image
2012 Kentucky Halloween Tournament - Top Elf
2014 Jeremiah Memorial Event - 2nd & Top FreeK
2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!


Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 891
Location: Blaine, MN
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Restomagus wrote:
With sin-marduk in the deck I would be tempted to run one last time . . . then again if your deck is winning well don't fix what ain't broke
One last time has been added and dropped three times now, lol! It's definitely a great card, but it's almost as easy to drop Sin into play, as it is to discard to graveyard.

Kamacausey wrote:
Wouldn't ivaas be a good fit in this deck?
Ivaas was in the original build x3, but not being a daemon or a thrall really hurt... so I went to Oloidynatos, but then found out False Council wasn't a spell, so now Rhomelzard... but with these new ideas, he's worth trying out again!

Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.
Um..., "win!" and "win!" I want to test these right now!... Exploding thralls, MR, level 4 thrall, AND the ability to cast False council again... yes, please.

I've updated the decklist once again:
-3 Rhomelzard
-1 Redu Firam
+3 Ygrassyne
+1 Oloidyanatos

-2 Life is Magic
-1 Flame Blade
+2 False god's council
+2 Purify
(will drop one of them after testing)

_________________
My sarcasm is always on.


Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 am
Profile
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 668
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.


I currently run 2 purify in mine.

Ygrassyne could potentialy make your anyone a thrall in a pinch. ;)


EDIT: Oh and she only gives stormwraiths magic resistance.

_________________
Image

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War


Thu May 03, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.


I currently run 2 purify in mine.

Ygrassyne could potentialy make your anyone a thrall in a pinch. ;)


EDIT: Oh and she only gives stormwraiths magic resistance.

Are you finding that Purify is really speeding things up? Also, Ygrassyne can hand out the Stormwraith trait to your Daemons, so the MR thing works :thumbsup:

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Thu May 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Profile
Stone Splitter
Stone Splitter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 668
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.


I currently run 2 purify in mine.

Ygrassyne could potentialy make your anyone a thrall in a pinch. ;)


EDIT: Oh and she only gives stormwraiths magic resistance.

Are you finding that Purify is really speeding things up? Also, Ygrassyne can hand out the Stormwraith trait to your Daemons, so the MR thing works :thumbsup:


:shock: :o :hyper: Ooooooh that's pretty sexy.

Yea, with a cleric in play the boat is ready to shore off some deamons a turn earlier. I play two ivvas and two Master Ash so it's not much off a problem; buy Ygrassyne is something I would like to see in this deck. The fact that she passes out MR means Counterspell could possibly not be needed.

_________________
Image

- Mass/RI Crew-Tean Dodo-Lord of War


Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 pm
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
lastdragon21 wrote:
Oremm wrote:
I am currently tempted to run 1x Ygrassyne to gives mah Daemons Magic Resistance, and *possibly* run Purify to unstun the Boat turn 1.


I currently run 2 purify in mine.

Ygrassyne could potentialy make your anyone a thrall in a pinch. ;)


EDIT: Oh and she only gives stormwraiths magic resistance.

Are you finding that Purify is really speeding things up? Also, Ygrassyne can hand out the Stormwraith trait to your Daemons, so the MR thing works :thumbsup:


:shock: :o :hyper: Ooooooh that's pretty sexy.

Yea, with a cleric in play the boat is ready to shore off some deamons a turn earlier. I play two ivvas and two Master Ash so it's not much off a problem; buy Ygrassyne is something I would like to see in this deck. The fact that she passes out MR means Counterspell could possibly not be needed.

Counterspell is just as useful to stop things like Embolden and Cauterize - which do not target your characters to trigger MR.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Fri May 04, 2012 5:54 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
So, today's event in NJ pretty much proved what I suspected: The Boat-Drop deck is NOT an environment-defining event. A solid build with a good pilot can take it out without the need for "ZOMG ANTI-BOAT META TECH." Also - it is not true that anyone can pick up this deck and sleepwalk into victory. Lastdragon21 is a more consistent tournament player than I am, and he also ran the Boat today but we did not end up in the finals together.

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy that Team Purple has a strong toy to play with. But if you're trying to build the deck that wins GenCon - you've got to think about how to beat FreeKs more than you need to think about beating the Boat.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:57 pm
Posts: 913
Location: Washington Mo.
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
My Atiratu deck is set up differentially due to card pool. Maybe a little more off/def first turn?What do you think about this?

Atiratu
Kalih x2
Pazu- Gara x3

add:
Bar'rax x3
Brilliant Scales x2
Bandage x2
Eternal Champion x2

_________________
Image


Sun May 13, 2012 4:32 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 891
Location: Blaine, MN
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Thanks for the recap, Rob!

I want to hear more about your final match with Setrokh!, and where you think the deck needs to go from here.

Was it lack of consistency to drop the boat? Was the boat not strong enough to fend off the throgs? Or was he too blitzy for you to handle?

As it stands, the boat does feel very overpowered to play against, but hasn't even won a tournament yet.

_________________
My sarcasm is always on.


Sun May 13, 2012 5:44 am
Profile
Command Staff
Command Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 4829
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Oh gods. I had a huge, well-thought-out reply drafted and lost it when I tried to post. Silly Temple time-out. As best I remember it:
silkyjohnson wrote:
My Atiratu deck is set up differentially due to card pool. Maybe a little more off/def first turn?What do you think about this?

Atiratu
Kalih x2
Pazu- Gara x3

add:
Bar'rax x3
Brilliant Scales x2
Bandage x2
Eternal Champion x2

The multi-HP start is a must. Sac Mitrasz + Earth, react w/ Earth, get back the Mitrasz, play him again. It stops melee blitz cold. Splashing Cleric reduces consistency (as lastdragon21 can attest.)

Aarrow76 wrote:
Thanks for the recap, Rob!

I want to hear more about your final match with Setrokh!, and where you think the deck needs to go from here.

Was it lack of consistency to drop the boat? Was the boat not strong enough to fend off the throgs? Or was he too blitzy for you to handle?

As it stands, the boat does feel very overpowered to play against, but hasn't even won a tournament yet.

I was freakishly consistent. I got a turn 1 boat almost every game through the entire event. Both games against Zeath's Set'rokh were turn 1 boats. It just didn't matter when he could get Kul of Clan Tergoth, Razul, Bludgeon and Bokos all up front in 1 turn. He had too many big swings for 2 or 3 wounds, the couldn't all be stopped.

As for editing the deck, tough call. I got serious mileage out of EVERY card. Eternity Gate was great but I only drew into it in 2 games. Counterspell was HUGE against Niobe (no Emboldens for you!) and Kestrel (you name it, I countered it). If we had been going really tooth-and-nail, it could have swung the mirror match a few times. Good thing we weren't!

I've had my fun w/ the Boat - I think I'm going to tone the deck down for fun games (need to think of what to put instead of the 3 wishes I ripped.) If you're serious about making a run a GenCon with it, I think my version is the template and run the meta from there. Lastdragon21 might have more to add on the differences in the builds.

_________________
New York Jankees ~ Curator of NY's Cube
melon wrote:
prepare to be disappointed.


Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:57 pm
Posts: 913
Location: Washington Mo.
Post Re: The Unbeatable Ship?
Did your deck have Sin-Marduk in it? If so were you able to utilize him effectively. I own one but decided not to include him in the deck or any of the rank building items.

_________________
Image


Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.