View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Chaosnake's new Azhraan the Foul Deck 
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

Post Chaosnake's new Azhraan the Foul Deck
Ok, so I wanted something powerful, with all the elements of a good control deck (control cards, utility and a kill mechanic and ways to search them out), and doesn't lose to anti-draw. I don't run that much draw, but a lot of the 'draw' I do run isn't defined as draw which allows it to get past cards such as Rrgent. For example, Wheel of Death and Sethra throw cards in my discard pile for me to retrieve, which is not actually draw. Alhana Genecourt (who I often times kill with Ramah to bring back with Azhraan after a Prioress drops say a character to immediately enter rank behind Alhana on top of my deck) is not draw either, Prioress Sophique puts the card on top of the deck and not in hand, so she is not draw either. Deck of Many Things isn't draw, and neither is Flory's Monster Guide. To round it out, Phantasm and I Call Forth Valor are not draw either. Anyways, the deck has all the main utility(Devourer, Blade Dancer, Ghed Morak, Queen of Lightning Davaenus, Wand of Negation, Pull the Strings, Exhaustion), and some immediate threats (between Phantasm and Jackals, Sethra's Sparks, and Wheel of Death stat pumping them, Queen of Lightning is still an immediate threat) and the main kill is Orm of course, but combined with Blade Dancer is an autokill, and Daevanus if need be. The deck gets Orm out Goldfishing by 3rd turn consistently. This deck as is now, is 52 cards, I'd like to get it down to 50 but 52 has been working great actually. The cool thing is, I'm only running 1 level 6 and 1 level 7 to get Orm into play, and it does it with ease.

1 Azhraan the Foul
2 Sethra the Spark (draw-ish)
3 D'Ilchant Keeper
1 Alhana Genecourt (draw-ish)
1 Toren Yscar (draw)
3 Ramah the Cruel (draw and wizard)
1 Blade Dancer
2 Death Fog (duh, can retrieve many characters)
3 Jackals of Mourn (Monster, can blitz or build ranks)
1 Devourer
1 Sir Geoffrey Drac (Phantasm into play for great ability)
1 Prioress Sophique (thought about a 2nd one)
1 Queen of Lightning (great utility and can do 2 wounds to Monsters when the monster guide is out)
1 Ghed Morak (Stops many cards/decks)
1 Davaenus (stun tech before Orm gets out, and works well with Blade Dancer)
1 Ssithiss, Sutek King (or any other level 6 Monster/Undead)
1 Nightmist (Undead trait makes it retrievable by Death Fog)
1 Orm al'Ghast (I win card)
1 Helm of Undying (duh)
1 Robe of the Planes
1 Flory's Monster Guide
1 Deck of Many Things
1 Nodwick (in case Helm gets Wheeled on accident (or on purpose to retrive with Nodwick)
2 Living History (rank holders/builders)
2 Wand of Negation
1 Improved Invisibility
1 Phantasm
3 Wheel of Death
3 Exhaustion
3 Severed of Flesh
3 Pull the Strings
3 I Call Forth Valor

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:52 am
Jersey's Jester
Jersey's Jester

Post Re: Chaosnake's new Azhraan the Foul Deck
nm I'm dumb. :lol:

Yeah, quite the loophole. Of course a week without Boarder_Control is a week with BBD_Jersey.

Fixed.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Looks solid enough. :)

Though, I really don't know how afraid of anti-draw you should really be, ya know? I mean, it's a possibility, but, on the whole, I think most players are far too myopic to include anti-draw. 3x Extensions might be worth a thought...

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

I agree most players don't include anti-draw (or any real meta at all for that matter). However, the players you would expect to see in the single elimination bracket after the swiss are more likely to run it. I personally run 6 anti-draw in my Saunginel (usually 3 Amnesia, 1 Rrgent, 2 Staff of Secrets) because I know against a draw combo deck, I need that anti-draw 1st turn. Of course, I test my decks expecting every player to be as skilled as I am, which kinds of makes tournaments more difficult because of the unpredictability of bad decks. But, I guess this isn't Magic the Gathering, even though I really wish it was sometimes, I like the competitiveness of Magic, I like this game much more though.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:21 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

I built this deck, and, for the most part, it runs very smoothly. My deck is more control-based, and I include the 3x Extensions because, really, there's no reason not to. If you face anti-draw it's only a small handful of cards in your deck that suffer it, and if you don't face anti-draw, the benefits of running 3x Extensions are huge. I managed to find room for a 2nd Nodwick, a Grihilga, etc. Small changes, but ultimately worthwhile ones. Can't really go wrong with Azhraan.

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

2nd Nodwick, this is ancients Nihil, better go read your restricted list.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Chaosnake wrote:
2nd Nodwick, this is ancients Nihil, better go read your restricted list.

Oh yeah. This is Ancients. :-P I've been playing a lot of Open, recently. :lol:

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:

Fintago wrote:

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Initiate
Initiate

How do you play I call for vallor in this deck? Normally search something u run "3 of" or just depends on situation?

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:45 am
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

depends on the situation really, if I need a rank builder, I search for that, if I need draw, I search for more draw, I may summon Daevanus or Ghed Morak, all depends on what I'm up against.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

How are the play against Raziel ??

In my poin of view he can be a badmatchup...

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Command Staff
Command Staff

Almost everybody is a bad match up against Raziel :lol:

Alantis wrote:
i am now gonna post ONLY when needed...
Wow... that sort of mentality would totally ruin my posts/day average. :lol:

My Trade Thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28091

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:59 pm
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

Raziel wouldn't be that bad, as long as he doesn't get rid of Helm of Undying. Because that card alone can bring back any characters I need.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:17 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Chaosnake wrote:
Raziel wouldn't be that bad, as long as he doesn't get rid of Helm of Undying. Because that card alone can bring back any characters I need.

Raziel can also sustain a fairly substantial blitz, and would be running Bis x3, which could do a number on your ranks, not to mention Tzin's Attention, Stolen Destiny, and Mental Assault. He could furthermore negate your entire kill strategy by blanking Orm altogether. Seems rough. I dunno, chaos. On paper it seems like Raziel could give you some real trouble. :shrug:

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:

Fintago wrote:

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Elite Dark Horseman
Elite Dark Horseman

Yea, he probably would, I'd have to actually play it out. Blanking Orm isn't that bad, since I can Helm of undying him right back into play. The question is whether I can get enough 'meat' into play before his blitz pays off, because Tzin's Attention and Mental Assault don't scare me much. Stolen Destiny might, but it's a DC 15 so, I shouldn't have too much of a problem with it most of the time.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I play with Ancients Allisara deck here (my favorite deck) and my worst match is against Raziel and Adarymy, but the seccond one I can use some "metas" (I'm working with some...) but against Raziel I don't have idea to make the match better to me :P

The other decktype I can face good :)

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next