View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 am



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What's wrong with my Jaroslav? 
Author Message
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
I always thought something fun could be done with a level 4+ fighter stormwraith and Reckless Abandon. Strike until you can't, hopefully with extra hit points somehow and ways to do extra wounds.

_________________
Gixu Slayer - GenCon 2018
-------------------------------------------------------
Grantuk Rageblade is a Jamaican Geisha
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a hoopy frood!
-------------------------------------------------------
My other deck is backed in Green Dragon Inn.
-------------------------------------------------------
GenCon 2017 Top NoThRoG
GenCon 2018 Top NoThRoG
-------------------------------------------------------
My Trades


Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:49 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 2968
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
slugman wrote:
I always thought something fun could be done with a level 4+ fighter stormwraith and Reckless Abandon. Strike until you can't, hopefully with extra hit points somehow and ways to do extra wounds.


You definitely have something here. I'll work on it!

_________________
Image
2012 Kentucky Halloween Tournament - Top Elf
2014 Jeremiah Memorial Event - 2nd & Top FreeK
2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!


Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Woodrow wrote:
slugman wrote:
I always thought something fun could be done with a level 4+ fighter stormwraith and Reckless Abandon. Strike until you can't, hopefully with extra hit points somehow and ways to do extra wounds.


You definitely have something here. I'll work on it!


I want to see/figure out this deck...Have you thought about it at all? I've thought about it a long time and have yet to figure out how to make it work right.

_________________
Gixu Slayer - GenCon 2018
-------------------------------------------------------
Grantuk Rageblade is a Jamaican Geisha
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a hoopy frood!
-------------------------------------------------------
My other deck is backed in Green Dragon Inn.
-------------------------------------------------------
GenCon 2017 Top NoThRoG
GenCon 2018 Top NoThRoG
-------------------------------------------------------
My Trades


Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:36 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 2968
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Well, there's the jankier route where you make this your entire deck with cards like:

1 Ghed Jaroslav
3 Ygrassyne
3 Raimund Aedroud
3 Sir Pelimere
3 Count Vyacheslav
1 The Sable Knight
1 Lord Argen d'Ilchant
2-3 Stormbrand
2-3 Reckless Abandon
1-2 Consort's Crown
1-2 Invulnerability Potion
1 Black Sun Shield
1 Helm of Vision
1 Symbol of Kerebrus
1 Nokhtkruger
1 Kringle's Sleigh


Then I guess there's the more-sane route where you just play "normal" cards, overload on Fighters, and use Reckless Abandon as a value 2-of in your deck that can end the game out of nowhere like a 1-of Ring of Piercing that I love playing.

_________________
Image
2012 Kentucky Halloween Tournament - Top Elf
2014 Jeremiah Memorial Event - 2nd & Top FreeK
2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!


Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
ooh, I like this. I would include 1x Mercy's Crown though and hope you get the combo off with
Spoiler:
Sir Pelimere
Mouse over the black section to reveal text
. Large janky combo for sure, but probably still a safer route to run that and run Dev/Cleric stall tech than to do the straight fighter route.

_________________
Gixu Slayer - GenCon 2018
-------------------------------------------------------
Grantuk Rageblade is a Jamaican Geisha
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a hoopy frood!
-------------------------------------------------------
My other deck is backed in Green Dragon Inn.
-------------------------------------------------------
GenCon 2017 Top NoThRoG
GenCon 2018 Top NoThRoG
-------------------------------------------------------
My Trades


Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:38 pm
Profile
Lava Shark
Lava Shark
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:00 pm
Posts: 9425
Location: Texas
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Jaroslov is weak in Ancients because there are simply too many workarounds. While you have access to an immense pool of cards that help move damage or self-inflict damage, the cornerstone of the deck is, and must be by design, reactive in nature, which simply means you lose to Uber, because Uber will just ignore you until its ready for you, you'll lose to blitz, because decent blitz will just outpace your reacts, and you'll lose to snipers and insta-kills, because you can't really mitigate that. It's kind of like a reactive pseudo-cavalry build where the cavalry doesn't hit as hard as it would out of a fighter build, and the healing is only as good as what's in your hand.

-nihil

_________________
Darguth wrote:
I...agree...with Nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.


Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 2968
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Nihilistiskism wrote:
Jaroslov is weak in Ancients because there are simply too many workarounds. While you have access to an immense pool of cards that help move damage or self-inflict damage, the cornerstone of the deck is, and must be by design, reactive in nature, which simply means you lose to Uber, because Uber will just ignore you until its ready for you, you'll lose to blitz, because decent blitz will just outpace your reacts, and you'll lose to snipers and insta-kills, because you can't really mitigate that. It's kind of like a reactive pseudo-cavalry build where the cavalry doesn't hit as hard as it would out of a fighter build, and the healing is only as good as what's in your hand.

-nihil


You're right all-around. Not that I ever achieved an optimal list for him, but he was clearly awful.

_________________
Image
2012 Kentucky Halloween Tournament - Top Elf
2014 Jeremiah Memorial Event - 2nd & Top FreeK
2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!


Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 am
Profile
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 3422
Location: Oak Park, IL
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Nice analysis, Paul. Welcome back! :)

The only time I recall him doing well in a tournament was when the player (Aidan iirc) and the judge (no clue - Brent?) got his wording all confused and were allowing it to be triggered at the time that the wounds were inflicted, not after the action had completed (as every ruling had ever stated).

So Stormwraiths were performing attacks before being killed - no healing or wound-redirection required. :nonono:

_________________
Have a rules question? There's a forum for that!
I reserve the right to ignore all rules-related PMs that I deem should be asked there. 8)


Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 pm
Profile
Rules Artiste
Rules Artiste
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 5:00 pm
Posts: 6920
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
In other words


Hedge wrote:
the warlord

_________________
Warlord Themes For Apprentice Homepage
Whisper of the Condemned
Two Guys Selling Cards

DP9K wrote:
John, I've pretty much bought majority of the things I have from Hedge. I probably wouldn't be playing still if not for him.


Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 am
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 2968
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Iceman wrote:
Nice analysis, Paul. Welcome back! :)

The only time I recall him doing well in a tournament was when the player (Aidan iirc) and the judge (no clue - Brent?) got his wording all confused and were allowing it to be triggered at the time that the wounds were inflicted, not after the action had completed (as every ruling had ever stated).

So Stormwraiths were performing attacks before being killed - no healing or wound-redirection required. :nonono:


Making the wraiths all gush 2.0 might help him... Just a little bit... :yes:

_________________
Image
2012 Kentucky Halloween Tournament - Top Elf
2014 Jeremiah Memorial Event - 2nd & Top FreeK
2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!


Mon May 25, 2015 11:18 pm
Profile
Inner Circle
Inner Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Post Re: What's wrong with my Jaroslav?
Nihilistiskism wrote:
Jaroslov is weak in Ancients because there are simply too many workarounds. While you have access to an immense pool of cards that help move damage or self-inflict damage, the cornerstone of the deck is, and must be by design, reactive in nature, which simply means you lose to Uber, because Uber will just ignore you until its ready for you, you'll lose to blitz, because decent blitz will just outpace your reacts, and you'll lose to snipers and insta-kills, because you can't really mitigate that. It's kind of like a reactive pseudo-cavalry build where the cavalry doesn't hit as hard as it would out of a fighter build, and the healing is only as good as what's in your hand.

-nihil


Yeah, I would never play him to win. I would play him until I got the combo off and then be content. Kinda like all my decks :P Who wants to win when you can just play to ca-ca-combo? :)

_________________
Gixu Slayer - GenCon 2018
-------------------------------------------------------
Grantuk Rageblade is a Jamaican Geisha
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm a hoopy frood!
-------------------------------------------------------
My other deck is backed in Green Dragon Inn.
-------------------------------------------------------
GenCon 2017 Top NoThRoG
GenCon 2018 Top NoThRoG
-------------------------------------------------------
My Trades


Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.