View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Kothkah - Ability Abuse Uber [Ancients] 
n00b
n00b

Post Kothkah - Ability Abuse Uber [Ancients]
Starting Army
Gunda/ Gunda/ Gunda
Tarya/ Tarya
Kothkah

Characters [20]
3x LV1 Gunda (Standard Nothrog starter)
2x LV2 Tarya (+6 Ranged strike or +1 LV to play Trade Routes)
3x LV3 Betren (Plays Summon Object)
3x LV3 FirRal (Daybreak blitz or +1HP to Kothkah)
3x LV4 Sethusk (Draw tech)
3x LV4 Grieze (Plays Summon Object or uses her ability)
1x LV5 Dac'Lar (Uses ability)
1x LV5 Ar'bruz (Can play Well Supplied and is a beast)
1x LV5 Kothkah (Uses ability, get Item from Deck and put items into Discard Pile)

Items [12]
1x LV7 Silverwind (Prevents cancels, redirects, heals, etc)
1x LV7 Axe of Tergoth (For more attacks when Silverwind is not needed)
1x LV7 Darkhide Armor (To prevent golden gun)
1x LV6 Wyvern's Scale (For the Magic Resistance)
1x LV8 Spiked Shield (For more attacks when Wyvern's Scale is not needed)
1x LV7 Blood God's Basinet (For the HP)
1x LV7 Gloves of Mercy (Additional wounds)
1x LV7 Heavy Charger (+1HP)
1x LV5 Havat-lahn Stance (More attacks)
1x LV4 Wyvern Gem (Additional wounds)
1x LV5 Whetstone (Additional wounds)
1x LV6 War Spikes (Stat bonuses)

Actions [18]
3x LV1 Meet at the Inn (Draw tech)
3x LV2 Mirror Magic (Any of the wizards can use Kothkah's ability again)
3x LV3 Trade Routes (Search for an Items and get more into the Discard Pile)
3x LV3 Summon Object (Get Item from Discard Pile)
3x LV5 Well Supplied (Get Item from the Deck)
3x LV5 Order of Battle (Get Item form the Discard Pile)

In matches with this deck I am able to equip 4 Items on turn 1 and have 6+ Items on turn 2 about 90% of the time. Kothkah has to start moving forward on turn 2, so the items are kept to LV7 or lower with the exception of the Spiked Shield.

----------------------
Just recently I have been getting back into Warlord again and have decided to post many of my favorite decks to the forums. I am open to all feedback, suggestions and criticisms so please feel free to comment or ask questions. These decks have all been tested quite a bit in Ancients format, so I know they are solid, but there can always be room for improvement.
----------------------

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: Kothkah - Ability Abuse Uber [Ancients]
thanks for the 3 deck threads you just put up, I have returned to Warlord also, but havent ever really built many decks so I do appreciate them to potentially copy or get ideas for other decks ^_^

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:45 pm
n00b
n00b

BlackHaliax wrote:
thanks for the 3 deck threads you just put up, I have returned to Warlord also, but havent ever really built many decks so I do appreciate them to potentially copy or get ideas for other decks ^_^

No problem. I got busy today, but over this weekend I will be posting a bunch more so check back if you are interested. Happy deck building!

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Characters:
I would start Pike Cart instead of Gunda. I would cut Dac'Lar and Ar'Bruz. I would cut Greize down to x0-x1. I would start Viktor Amak and Rraven'a. I would play more meat walls in the form of some of the following Kul of Clan Tergoth, Ram'zar, Shadowreaver, Verusk, Wanderetch. Shadowreaver can perms-scribe Mirror Magic. More meat will make Rraven'a double up the rate at which you equip. You can also Mirror Magic her ability to do it twice. You could also play extra copies of her main deck. I would run a Toren Yscar since it does everything you want. The Temple of Lore is an important card since even though you run a lot of items, they aren't enough to crank your stats into "it doesn't matter, I hit on a 2" range.

Items:
Darkhide doesn't prevent golden gun. It does cut back on the damage you take, though. Depending on what other people play, I'd consider Fiendish Plate really hard. That card is really good and you're already playing War Spikes which compliments it really well. Wyvern Gem and Whetstone just seem too finite. I'd put in Bracers of Ogre Power and Nodwick. Nodwick does a lot of work in this deck. If not Nodwick, then definitely Sir Orban. I think you need more attacks and a higher attack value. At best you're swinging 4 times a turn at mediocre bonuses. Heavy Charger seems pretty mediocre. I would suggest either Kringle's Sleigh, Tranquility (you only have 1 armor anyway), or Wyvernsteed if you ignore my Fiendish Plate suggestion. The ability to move backward and then forward again is really useful in a deck that is trying to run level 7 items.

Actions:
I don't hate Meet at the Inn as much as the others on this board, but it seems like a no-brainer to just play more fighters and run Loyalty's Reward instead. The wizard stuff seems kind of weird. If it works of you, OK. But if you find it doesn't, I wouldn't try to force playing them. I don't think forcing myself to run Wizards using Kothkah or Sethusk's ability from Mirror Magic is something I'd like to do. Summon Object only helps with one item one time. That doesn't seem particularly good. Wouldn't you rather have something more repeatable? If you do decide to keep the Wizards, consider Sigil of Bonding.

It sounds like you've play tested this, so maybe it's working for you. I just see different card choices being more reliable (yes, even in fighter version of Behlial you need consistency) and giving it more potential.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:23 am
n00b
n00b

Woodrow wrote:
Characters:
I would start Pike Cart instead of Gunda. I would cut Dac'Lar and Ar'Bruz. I would cut Greize down to x0-x1. I would start Viktor Amak and Rraven'a. I would play more meat walls in the form of some of the following Kul of Clan Tergoth, Ram'zar, Shadowreaver, Verusk, Wanderetch. Shadowreaver can perms-scribe Mirror Magic. More meat will make Rraven'a double up the rate at which you equip. You can also Mirror Magic her ability to do it twice. You could also play extra copies of her main deck. I would run a Toren Yscar since it does everything you want. The Temple of Lore is an important card since even though you run a lot of items, they aren't enough to crank your stats into "it doesn't matter, I hit on a 2" range.

Well, first let me say that I have not started including 4X cards in my decks. Actually, I am not sure where they came from or whether they are considered Ancients format legal. Also, they seem broken...
Grieze is in there to play the Summon Object but also for the ability which comes in very handy. Having 6 summoners and 3 Summon Objects seems to be just right to always be able to play it. Due to Kothkah's ability having 3 Grieze rarely trips me up. I do agree that the deck needs some woundbags for stability and your suggestions are good for that. Toren Yscar and The Temple of Lore should definitely make it in.
How does Rraven'a help? I'm not seeing any benefit to moving Items around in this deck.
Woodrow wrote:
Items:
Darkhide doesn't prevent golden gun. It does cut back on the damage you take, though. Depending on what other people play, I'd consider Fiendish Plate really hard. That card is really good and you're already playing War Spikes which compliments it really well. Wyvern Gem and Whetstone just seem too finite. I'd put in Bracers of Ogre Power and Nodwick. Nodwick does a lot of work in this deck. If not Nodwick, then definitely Sir Orban. I think you need more attacks and a higher attack value. At best you're swinging 4 times a turn at mediocre bonuses. Heavy Charger seems pretty mediocre. I would suggest either Kringle's Sleigh, Tranquility (you only have 1 armor anyway), or Wyvernsteed if you ignore my Fiendish Plate suggestion. The ability to move backward and then forward again is really useful in a deck that is trying to run level 7 items.

Fiendish Plate is a good suggestion. Nodwick should definitely go in. (Where the hell did that set come from anyway?) Bracers of Ogre Power is an instant replacement for Wyvern Gem and Whetstone. The Heavy Charger is in there to get the additional +1HP from War Spikes \, giving a max of 9 HP total, but many other Steeds may work better for various reasons. Wyvernsteed is a good pick.
Woodrow wrote:
Actions:
I don't hate Meet at the Inn as much as the others on this board, but it seems like a no-brainer to just play more fighters and run Loyalty's Reward instead. The wizard stuff seems kind of weird. If it works of you, OK. But if you find it doesn't, I wouldn't try to force playing them. I don't think forcing myself to run Wizards using Kothkah or Sethusk's ability from Mirror Magic is something I'd like to do. Summon Object only helps with one item one time. That doesn't seem particularly good. Wouldn't you rather have something more repeatable? If you do decide to keep the Wizards, consider Sigil of Bonding.

I will definitely test out more fighters and Loyalty's Reward. The Summon Objects are really the key to getting back all the Items discarded from Kothkah's ability especially when I Mirror Magic. I could rebuild the deck with Nodwick instead of the wizard stuff and see how that goes. As long as I can keep up the pace of 3+ Items a turn and get Items back from the Discard Pile I'm curious to keep messing around with this deck until I get it right.
Woodrow wrote:
It sounds like you've play tested this, so maybe it's working for you. I just see different card choices being more reliable (yes, even in fighter version of Behlial you need consistency) and giving it more potential.

It is working for me so far, but there is definitely room for improvement and increased stability. I'm sure that I will try out a few different modifications to this one.
Also, thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

You don't need summoners to play summon object. 4x is Ancients legal. War Spikes doesn't work on steeds except Gilded Chariot and Royal Chariot. Rraven'a… read Well Supplied and Order of Battle again. Yeah. Play more fighters, use one of those, equip 1 item to Kothkah, 1 to Bokos, and 1 to Kul of Clan Tergoth. Move one instantly with your starting Rraven'a from Bokos to Kothkah. Move the other off of Kul next turn. There, you just drew and equipped three items off of one action card instead of using Mirror Magic and Summon Object. Oh I forgot to mention Bokos in my suggestions. He's good at playing Loyalty's Reward twice.

If you want that many wizards, I'd include Extensions, Wheel of Death, and Sigil of Bonding and go for something more gimmicky like scrying Taking a Stance with War Journal and Tome of Memory and setting up for one turn of doom.

nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:56 am
n00b
n00b

Woodrow wrote:
You don't need summoners to play summon object. 4x is Ancients legal. War Spikes doesn't work on steeds except Gilded Chariot and Royal Chariot. Rraven'a… read Well Supplied and Order of Battle again. Yeah. Play more fighters, use one of those, equip 1 item to Kothkah, 1 to Bokos, and 1 to Kul of Clan Tergoth. Move one instantly with your starting Rraven'a from Bokos to Kothkah. Move the other off of Kul next turn. There, you just drew and equipped three items off of one action card instead of using Mirror Magic and Summon Object. Oh I forgot to mention Bokos in my suggestions. He's good at playing Loyalty's Reward twice.

Oh man, I totally missed Rraven'a ability with Well Supplied and Order of Battle but that's what I get for typing a response at 3:30 am. These are all great ideas.

Woodrow wrote:
If you want that many wizards, I'd include Extensions, Wheel of Death, and Sigil of Bonding and go for something more gimmicky like scrying Taking a Stance with War Journal and Tome of Memory and setting up for one turn of doom.

I considered most of those cards when building the deck but just didn't keep them in. Maybe I will try doing a fighter and a wizard version of the deck separately and see which does better, but I suspect the fighter version will at this point.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

You're welcome. Kothkah is a cool warlord. His consistency level is 9000.. especially with Viktor Amak.

nilonka wrote:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Just read this thread again. If I were building using 4E cards, this is where I'd start:

1 Kothkah
3 Rraven'a
1 Viktor Amak
3 Pike Cart
3 Bokos
3 Kul of Clan Tergorh
3 Ramzar
3 Varg
2 Sethusk
1 Toren Tscar
1 Forge

3 Well Supplied
3 Loyalty's Reward
3 Order of Battle

3 Fluidic Visor
2 Tome of Champions
2 Sir Tython's Shield
2 Ablung's Quickmail
2 Wyvernsteed
1 Silverwind
1 Blood Gods Basinet
1 Gloves of Mercy
1 Bracers of Ogre Power
1 Rage Collar
1 Collar of Damnation

You can probably draw your whole deck around turn 2-3.

nilonka wrote:

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]