View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Ablung Uber [Ancients] 
n00b
n00b

Post Ablung Uber [Ancients]
Starting Army:
Brine Fiend / Brine Fiend / Brine Fiend
Horror of the Brine / Horror of the Brine
Ablung the Maker

Characters [24] (Basically all woundbags)
3x LV1 Brine Fiend
3x LV1 Tower of the Steel Rose
2x LV2 Horror of the Brine
3x LV3 Ramparts
3x LV3 Corrupted Cultist (AC bonus)
3x LV4 Babbling Mouther
1x LV4 Vahdrok the Crippler
3x LV5 Gelatinous Wall
1x LV5 Avatar of Amoudosi
1x LV5 Grihilga

Items [20]
1x LV9 The King's Lady (Additional attack and wound)
1x LV9 Ablung's Quickmail (Ready after Meditation, ready turn after stunning forward)
1x LV8 Spiked Shield (For both benefits)
1x LV6 Black Sun Helm (Increase LV for equipping Items)
1x LV7 Gloves of Mercy (Additional Wound)
1x LV8 Calavera (Allows me to get back discarded Items)
1x LV5 Havat-lahn Stance (Additional attack)
1x LV3 Epic Mantle (Major bonuses after gaining 6 LVs)
1x LV3 Holy Symbol (Increase LV for equipping Items)
1x LV7 Dusty Shelves (Increase LV for equipping Items)
1x LV8 The Maker's Way (Increase LV for equipping Items)
1x LV9 Logan's Ring (LV twice in a turn)
1x LV9 Tome of the Archmage (+1 LV)
1x LV9 Tome of Shadows (+1 LV)
1x LV9 Tome of Champions (+1 LV)
1x LV9 Tome of Divine Wisdom (+1 LV)
1x L10 Avatar of Kavara (Magic Resistance)
1x L10 Avatar of Albrecht (Power Attack)
1x L10 Avatar of Neus (Medicine)
1x L10 Avatar of Fineltour (Riposte)

Actions [6]
3x LV1 Meditation (Increase LV for equipping Items)
3x LV1 Put to the Test (Increase LV for equipping Items)

----------------------
Just recently I have been getting back into Warlord again and have decided to post many of my favorite decks to the forums. I am open to all feedback, suggestions and criticisms so please feel free to comment or ask questions. These decks have all been tested quite a bit in Ancients format, so I know they are solid, but there can always be room for improvement. Please keep in mind that they currently do not include 4X cards.
----------------------

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Post Re: Ablung Uber [Ancients]
i fear that you might run into a lot of early turns without the ability to equip all those fine high level items.

consider finding a handy way to kill off Minor Dragonkin and using the Dragon's Hoard trick from your other deck. Energy Bow is handy for that.

and for more levels, consider these in place of the Avatars & Spiked Shield
Deima's Shield
Sir Tython's Shield
Jelial's Bracers
Kcal'den's Bracers

I would also look at the Helm of the Djinn - skill, AC, and movement.

The Maker's Way at level 8, is worth a slot, or support your deck with fighters (planar ones) and use Steel Dragon Insignia

and the deck needs 1 Toren Yscar

and maybe A Single Motion instead of Put to the Test. spend order means you cannot combine with Meditation, but the +2 levels until the end of the turn should make up for that.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:45 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I prefer Ablung "light" items rather than "heavy" uber. Putting all the tomes on him just makes your game even slower and they're just numbers. You don't interact with fast decks at all. Since you won't come online until about turn five'ish if you have good draws, you will probably lose to aggressive decks, vorpal blade, stun combo, a second casting of entangle, or possibly twist the blade with Winter's Chill since they've had all the time in the world to either beat you down or get their own thing going. Adding numbers to ablung's numbers is just monotonous and they really don't add much. Once you get up in the 30-40AC range you're pretty much beyond being hit under normal circumstances. Also, I think Ruash-Shan is strictly better at this as he gets all classes AND levels in one swoop and he is a starting level 4 Cleric/Wizard with a huge Scribe bonus. The reason this works so well for Xod, Jodin, and the Dwarven rogue Warlord that suffers from gender identity uncertainty is because they get big fast.

I think items like Leopard Claws, Common Blade, Nothrog Daggers, Blessed Bangle, Havat-Iahn Stance, Signon's Armor, Benedictus Armor, Amulet of Waking, Tranquility, Repair Crew, Sandals of Fortune, Nodwick, Boots of Mobility, Collar of Damnation, etc. allow you to perform with less contingencies and possibly hop forward and smash face earlier.

I think Tether is a cool idea starting a Summoner like Serj Vorvallyn who can also use Conjuration to thin out your deck or search for a The Cardinals' Blessing for your starting Giblert Basc to equip or any other level 4 items (Bene Armor, Common Blade, Dallen's Eye, Sandals of Fortune (in a pinch), etc.). Gilbert with a Blessing on can also do a lot of work with Treason's Wages.

If you want to go the high level route, you may want to start a Minor Dragonkin and maybe use stuff like Castux to kill it and Dragon's Hoard into Logan's Ring. You can also use Salace to bump Ablung's ability to raising 2 levels per turn. That means you can hop up 4 levels a turn with both in play. A Single Motion is also really good, as mentioned. Starting Cal Blackborn to use Extensions will help since you can't run Viktor Amak. I'd also consider Helm of Terror which can stop Glyph of Fate and Light and gets harder to make as you level (if you're level 7 with four tomes on it's a DC 19 to even hit you).

I dunno. I just always have the tendency to view the low level warlords as a chain saw with the exception of Albrecht because he plays so well with others and he can be a chainsaw among other chainsaws. But for Ablung, I think I'd try to get him going around turn 2-3 with extra strikes, multi-wounding, and readying on board. You don't have to play him like that. There are a ton of people who have used him to uber.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I like running ablung uber because he gets the best items of every class. My list is highlander so it's not too competitive but it is fun nonetheless.

Here is what I run:

1 scaly sycophant
1 brine fiend
1 miserean trader
1 mourn jackals
1 serj
1 ablung

1 shabiri
1 aguas
1 behemoth
1 dreadfang
1 nightscale
1 fantome
1 grihilga
1 carcass wyrm
1 blackwind
1 ebonscourge
1 shadowblaze
1 ashreign
1 dragon turtle
1 causticus
1 bem kaundodo
1 ivaas
1 toren yscar

1 war spikes
1 common blade
1 blood god's basinet
1 tranquility
1 spider vestments
1 boots of speed
1 portable hole
1 nodwick
1 ring of vorn
1 face kit
1 bracers of ichaerus
1 sigil of strength
1 repair crew
1 blessed bangle
1 scorpion stance
1 dallen's eye
1 symbol of kerebrus
1 bracers of ogre power
1 cloak of many things
1 amulet of waking
1 epic mantle
1 logan's ring
1 ring of smiting
1 elven chainmail

1 conjuration
1 tether

or for a beefier ablung:

1x Black Sun Helm
1x Dusty Shelves
1x The Maker's Way
1x Holy Symbol
1x War Spikes
1x The King's Lady
1x Ablung's Quickmail
1x Sir Tython's Shield
1x Gloves of Mercy
1x Rage Collar
1x Nodwick
1x Kringle's Sleigh
1x Epic Mantle
1x Repair Crew
1x Sigil of Strength
1x Bracers of Ogre Power
1x Logan's Ring
1x Tome of the Archmage
1x Tome of Shadows
1x Tome of Champions
1x Tome of Divine Wisdom
1x Avatar of Kavara
1x Avatar of Albrecht
1x Avatar of Neus
1x Avatar of Fineltour

I'm missing a few cards but I can't remember what they are at the moment. Deck is at home and I'm at work.

Last edited by Kamacausey on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:15 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

This thread got me interested in writing a mock list. Here's my attempt:

1 Ablung the Maker
1 Serj Vorvallyn - If your opponent refuses to kill a Brine Fiend, kill Serj so you can use Gilbert.
1 Gilbert Basc - Uses The Cardinals' Blessing for a cheap, enduring, +5/+5.
3 Brine Fiend
3 Wanderetch
3 Shadowreaver
3 Kardak-Vash - Can use back-up The Cardinals' Blessings.
3 R’Veeka
3 Grihilga
2 Ravenwild
1 Toren Yscar
1 Antaelus

3 Conjuration - Toolbox for whatever you need. Serj starts in play, Antaelus and Ravenwild can play it after Serj dies.
2 Tether - Serj can play this from starting in play.
2 War Rune - To get Common Blade going.

4 Common Blade
3 The Cardinals’ Blessing
2 Ishara's Tidal Mace - Combos with The Cardinals' Blessing. Your level 4's or Grihilga wear this.
2 Benedictus Armor - Not 100% on this, but it seems fine.
2 Havat-lahn Stance
2 Blessed Bangle
2 Hod’s Legacy - All the level 4 clerics above would be happy to use this on your Ablung who has six swings.
1 Collar of Damnation

This is just my thought. Since you try for an early +5/+5 off of Gilbert, you don't have to stress about waiting several turns to hop forward. Basically if you get an extra swing or so, a Common Blade, and something to ready you, you can go ahead and step up.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]