View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Gris Stunfist takes prisoners 
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Gris Stunfist takes prisoners
I was toying around with the Dwarves after I completed my Ancients Avatar Blitz out of Sjongaard when I came across a combo that Gris can perform pretty well. With Taunting blow and all the Stun tech, Gris can Prisoner to end games or remove those problem characters.

Gris allowing his army to bypass the Planar trait has also been surprisingly good at removing high hp characters with Defiances or simply getting past Planar starts.

Start: 6

3xDefiance
2xWill
1xGrist Ironfist

Characters: 19

3xStrength
3xKorin Blackstone
3xBlade Dancer
3xGaol
3xFetter
2xDuri Earthwalker
1xKiyar Undying
1x[cardThe Temple of Lore[/card]

Items: 9

1xMedical Kit
2xGloves of Mercy
3xPunch Daggers
3xJournal Entry

Actions: 13

3xTurn Undead
3xWithering Gaze
2xTaunting Blow
2xPrisoner
3xKor's Patience

Dungeons: 3

3xDamothien's Dungeon

Last edited by Magerdanu on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:06 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Post Re: Gris Stunfist takes prisoners
I like where this deck is going.

not sure about some of the card choices.

I would look at Withering Gaze for both the stunning and the lock up.

another fun trick would be to run Journal Entry on a support fighter to dig up a Prisoner when you need it.

Gloves of Mercy plus Bear's Soul might be more universally effective, the level requirement makes the Gloves of Grasping less appealing.

Would Eye Eater fit the bill?

(strikes me that a Rogue / Fighter with Drops of Drowsiness would have fun with Prisoner too)

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Kerebrus wrote:
I like where this deck is going.

not sure about some of the card choices.

I would look at Withering Gaze for both the stunning and the lock up.

another fun trick would be to run Journal Entry on a support fighter to dig up a Prisoner when you need it.

Gloves of Mercy plus Bear's Soul might be more universally effective, the level requirement makes the Gloves of Grasping less appealing.

Would Eye Eater fit the bill?

(strikes me that a Rogue / Fighter with Drops of Drowsiness would have fun with Prisoner too)

I didn't realize Withering Gaze had the first text there. Journal Entry will be a must, I have the Gloves of Mercy in an earlier version of the deck, my only contention with the Gloves of Mercy is that the Item requires Gris where the gloves of Grasping can be played by any of the other characters.

I don't really know how the Eye Eater would get into rank one efficiently, I was toying around with using Charismatic Influence to put characters into play in the first rank with Gris, but that would change the deck significantly.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

I think the Lower Level element of the Gloves of Grasping would be prohibitive. Thunderclap Bracers could be the answer.

Punch Daggers could work as a weapon, for more stunning. (level 8 makes Claidh Mor out)

also should consider that you are going to want more AC up front like that. even little stuff Like Elven Chain adds up.

and with the level 7 items you should make room for The Maker's Way.

fun trick with Gaol - use him to move a Temple of Lore to safe rank 2.

BTW - LOVE Gaol.

Richard Carter - 2002 (Scrub player), 2003 (undefeated Swiss with Kerebrus), 2004 (4th at KOHIT with Dezicrah), 2005 (Dragonlord & World Conquest Team), 2006 (Editor, PDT member, & Majeral runner), 2007 ( Medusan Lord, & Bobby Zebrowski's Hero), 2008 (Ghed Jaroslav, Soul of the Storm, 4e Design Team), 2009 (Soul of the Storm falls, Gixu the Jester rises), 2010 (Jernar Thanatoc falls), 2011 (Bobby Zebrowski's sloppy second Gixu), 2012 (Driver of Atu the Fallen)

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

I ran with the Punch Daggers and Temple of Lore idea. I decided to take Perfect out alongside the Riding Horse , cut some of the 3x actions down to 2x in favor of adding the Gloves of Mercy alongside Duri Earthwalker, Kiyar Undying and Korin Blackstone. I also took out Tzin's Attention.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Blade Dancer is perfect as it has great stats for holding ranks and is another kill mechanic for the big guys you can't beat to death.
Damothien's Dungeon helps you, hurts them.
Turn Undead then becomes pretty golden.
Withering Gaze was mentioned and could probably make the cut. Might be nice on Antaelus.

You have to live while you're in the front. Potion of Blurring, Nodwick, and Helm of Terror may help with that.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Awesome suggestions, I appreciate it guys.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Antaelus won't work, Withering Gaze is not a fighter action.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

How come? Updating the decklist

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:57 am
Blue Dice of Doom
Blue Dice of Doom

Antaelus is the same class as your warlord (Fighter) - and thus he cannot attach Withering Gaze.

Something like Power Shot would work though.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Kerebrus wrote:
Antaelus won't work, Withering Gaze is not a fighter action.

I guess I read him poorly. Didnt know his ability cared about his class. Makes sense.

I would take Taunting Blow down to maybe one copy. There are better ways to reduce skill. Also, I'd put some fighter staples in and make stun amd kill a back-up plan. Something that CAN happen but that doesn't have to.

nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

What do you consider to be staples Woodrow? The environment I play in is far different, what comes to my mind is Potions of blurring and giant strength potions. What are the other methods of lowering skill?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Hmm. Stuff I'd consider:

x1-3 Gris Ironfist
x1-2 Wall
x1 Viktor Amak
x1 Preen
x1-2 Arla Favorsight
x1 Sledge
x3 Profit
x3 Defiance
x1 Supply
x1 Toren Yscar
x2-3 Door to the World
x2-3 Gilbert Basc
x2-3 Denali Sagebound
x2-3 Blade Dancer
x2-3 Caldor WIllful
x2-3 Black Sand Gargoyle
x2-3 Jericho
x1-2 Ivaas
x2-3 Vision
x2-3 Sky
x1 Grihilga

x3 Turn Undead
x3 Exhaustion
x3 Reflect
x1 Taunting Blow
x1-2 Kor's Patience
x2-3 The Shattered Lands
x2-3 Whirlwind
x1-2 Confusion

x3 Gloves of Mercy
x1-2 Bracers of Ogre Power
x1-3 Silverwind or Dragon Buckler
x1-2 Kringle's Sleigh
x1-2 Blood God's Bassinet
x2-3 Potion of Blurring
x2-3 The Cardinals' Blessing
x2-3 Wyvernsteed
x2-3 War Journal
x1-2 Journal Entry
x1 Full Plate
x1 Shadow of Murder

x3 Damothien's Dungeon

I dunno. There's other stuff, too. I might play around with making Gris a Monster, stunning the opposing warlord with Whirlwind/Turn Undead, and then playing the shattered lands. Sounds like fun, but certainly a hail mary most of the time, every time. ;)

nilonka wrote:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:52 pm
Head of Insanity Division
Head of Insanity Division

Potion of Blurring cracks me up sometimes.
"I use Kiyarr to ready everyone. *roll* Aw crud, I didn't get a 17 or better. Well, so much for my Epic hero..."

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]