View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Sakar - Rogue Uber [Ancients] 
n00b
n00b

Post Sakar - Rogue Uber [Ancients]
Starting Army:
Deveranian Courtier / Deveranian Courtier / Deveranian Courtier
Jinkini
Sakar (with Portable Hole)
Mourn Jackals

Characters [25]
3x LV1 Deveranian Courtier
2x LV1 Squire Andreas (Rank Builder)
3x LV1 Sir Euain (Rank Builder)
3x LV1 The Temple of Lore (Rank Holder)
3x LV1 Tower of the Steel Rose (Rank Holder)
2x LV1 Felens Rowan (Rank Builder)
1x LV2 Jinkini (Heals Courtiers)
1x LV2 Mourn Jackals (Rank Builder on turn 1)
3x LV3 Isadran Warrior (Rank Builder)
3x LV3 Tseleuse Worm (Movement, can discard for PH)

Items [21]
1x LV9 Yedraw's Tooth [Weapon](+5/+2)
1x L10 Wyrmling Mail [Armor](+2/+2)
1x LV9 Jelial's Bracers [Shield](+2/+3/+3,+1HP)
1x LV5 Shield of Waves [Shield](+2AC)
1x LV7 Helm of Death [Helm](+1ATK,+1HP)
1x L10 Lightning Gloves [Gauntlet](+2ATK)
1x L10 Bloodspite [Steed](+2/+1,+1HP)
1x LV7 Scorpion Stance [Stance](Extra Attack)
1x L10 Avatar of Fineltour (+2/+2/+2,+1HP)
1x L10 Annals of Triumph
1x L10 Deck of Many Things
1x LV9 Tome of Shadows (+2/+2/+2,+1HP)
1x LV9 Boots of Stupendous Speed (+2AC)
1x LV8 Dwarven Signet (+5AC)
3x LV7 Portable Hole
1x LV7 Bracers of Ogre Power
1x LV4 Symbol of Kerebrus (+1/+1/+4)

Actions [3]
3x LV1 Meet at the Inn

Dungeons [1]
1x Blackthorne's Quarters

Total Stats: [38AC,+24/+21/+19,17SKL,8HP]

----------------------
Just recently I have been getting back into Warlord again and have decided to post many of my favorite decks to the forums. I am open to all feedback, suggestions and criticisms so please feel free to comment or ask questions. These decks have all been tested quite a bit in Ancients format, so I know they are solid, but there can always be room for improvement. Please keep in mind that they currently do not include 4X cards.
----------------------

Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: Sakar - Rogue Uber [Ancients]
Have you had the opportunity to play test the deck?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:30 pm
n00b
n00b

Magerdanu wrote:
Have you had the opportunity to play test the deck?

Yep. I played against quite a few different decks with friends in a semi-competitive environment. I'm pretty sure that I only lost two sets against strong blitz decks. Though I have tweaked the deck a bit since this post. I don't have the deck handy right now but I'd be happy to update it later if you are interested.

Basically on turn one you will almost certainly draw a character that can be played into rank 5 (there are 13+ cards or so in the new version not including Temple of Lore + Tseleuse Worm if you need to). This allows you to spend Portable Hole and get Sakar into rank 5 so he can equip the LV10 items of which there are 6. With Uber decks you really need to be setup to the point where you almost can't be killed by turn 3. This deck can certainly do that with the help of some card draw and Deck of Many Things(which is used to discard duplicates of unique characters when possible) to get key items. The only issues I ran into where very powerful blitz decks due to the lack of turn 1 offense. The new version has some additional woundbags for stability but the turn 1 issue is still present in some matchups. This is also why the new version includes Map of the Back Alleys so that if Sakar is forced to fall or move forward to rank 1 he can hang out there for a turn or two before moving back to a newly established rank 5.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Nothing that hasn't been done before...but it's not efficient. With your card selection you run high risk of slow draws, dead hands, and useless garbage cluttering things up on the timing.

Sakar is decent, but Rogue uber can most efficiently be accomplished with Dwarves or Elves. Dwarves for innate uber capabilities and drags and Elves for draw and staying power. Here's mine. Dumb good.

1x Rathe
1x Sakarian Bloodknight
1x Magheline
3x Javvyn

1x Toren Yscar
1x Forge
1x Johan Halfblood
1x Blade Dancer
2x Hassimal
3x Wanderetch
3x Treyik
3x Salace
3x Daedelia

2x Hand of Cunning
3x Meditation

1x Xaxxon's Fire
1x Avatar of Fineltour
1x Mask of Past Lives
1x Annals of Triumph
1x Nightmist Cloak
1x Blackwaters Steed
1x Tzin's Secret
1x Belt of Champions
2x Tome of Shadows
2x Ablung's Quickmail
2x Cloak of Many Things
2x Yedraw's Tooth
2x Jelial's Bracers
3x Portable Hole

If you're theorycrafting just to see how high you can get your stats then your math will quickly show to be superior, but this build is MUCH faster, more dependable, and just a very quick, brutal deck.

Good gaming.

-nihil

P.S. Meet at the Inn! is a [Censor: poo] card

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Cool looking decks, I need to ask though, what is an uber deck?

Fri May 01, 2015 6:11 pm
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

it means getting high stats.

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Nihilistiskism wrote:
it means getting high stats.

You are still alive? Hows it been?

Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I wrote a giant long response to this and then ToL ate it by logging me out.

Uber is when your Warlord has high enough stats that it can fight three Supremuses and a Far um Far without breaking a sweat.

Typically, rogue uber is best executed out of the elf or dwarf factions (and most notably by Kaimi Fateseeker). The Elves give you card draw and the Dwarves give you Supply and good rank holders.

The only real advantage I can see from Sakar is the Deverenian faction which offers some good utility in cards like Ghed Morak, Prioress Sophique, and great rank holders like The Sable Knight and Corinne Drac. Unfortunately they're all evil as is most of the faction. I don't really count Sakar's starting item as a huge bonus because elves can outdraw him and Kaimi Fateseeker has built in tutoring. You'll have to find some really great good-aligned reasons to play him.

But, if you just really want to use Sakar, it's still a better choice than many. Let's take a look at Nihil's deck and see what we can learn from it.

The first major difference between his list and yours that I notice is that he's not running any walls like towers, temples or brittle rank builders like sir euian. Most of his characters also draw him cards (where's your The Lost Brides PAUL!?) or even if they're there for the express purpose of building/holding ranks, they can still untap and threaten his opponent (Sakarian Bloodknight, Wanderetch, Blade Dancer). In Ancients, aggressive decks will never go away. They have too many tools. You can't afford to play a 3-1-1-1 starting army with very little rank-holders and expect not to get punished by Dorath Sa'dul, Obliterate, a ranged strike, or something just chewing your ranks. I think you need the 3-2-1 standard rank system and good rank holders like Strength and Wanderetch and whatever card draw/selection you can find (Ivass, Grihilga). Portable Hole is still a fine choice that will help you get back a few ranks, but instead of relying on completely non-interactive characters that honestly don't hold ranks very well (ToL and TotSR), you have a solid wall of meat falling forward to face off against your enemies while Sakar amasses his wardrobe.

The second thing you'll notice about his list is that his items section seems a lot more tuned. Where in your list you've got things like Dwarven Signet and Shield of Waves, he's purely after the high-impact items, doubling up only on trinkets he doesn't want to leave home without. Typically in an uber deck you want to run x2 of the Tome (Tome of Shadows in this case) and x2 of another item that grants a level like Jelial's Bracers since the extra level is so vital. Cutting some of the cards like Yedraw's Tooth down might be better because Rathe can jump into the opposing ranks out of nowhere and I think he's more interested to draw it. Martyr's Hide might be a better choice of armor, too, if you decide that you want to chew through ranks rather than stealth-and-stabbing after you're equipped.

One thing that I find suspect about both your lists: no Shadowborn Harness! What?! That card looks excellent in Ancients.

Also, isn't Ruash-Shan the real king of uber in Ancients? Has anyone built him yet?

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 am
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Your analysis is fair, Woodrow, but it skirts the main focus of the deck, which is Speed and jump-stab.

Ablung's Quickmail is the most logical choice of Armor for the deck because the ability to ready after performing an order that spends you trumps higher stats or trickery. The deck isn't trying to be clever, but efficient. The ideal is that this deck doesn't rely on heavy rank holders, because the Warlord is very, very quickly capable of sitting in rank 1 or 2 and equipping the high level nastiness if he wants to. Meditate being the key, here, that a lot of Uber decks don't run. Remember that with this Warlord every card in-hand has a 2nd use. Being able to spend for a permanent level boost, then ready, then have options, is one of the strong suits of the deck. Being able to stun forward, unstun with Magheline, then ready, then stealth or attack, or stealth, then move, then ready and attack for the instant kill. The ability to ready yourself is much more potent.

In reviewing the deck, I'd probably try to find room for Nodwick, and you're correct that The Lost Bride would probably replace Wanderetch.

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:

Fintago wrote:

Sat May 09, 2015 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

I see the usefulness of Ablung's Quickmail. Your deck wouldn't function the same without it. I didn't know if Shadowborn Harness would be useful or not, but I suspect it could be good in non-Rathe decks. Definitely not with the Mediations in your deck it wouldn't, but I didn't know if being able to jump six ranks suddenly at the end of the turn, ditch a few cards to catch up to their Warlord, and wait until next initiative was a reasonable trade or not. But being able to Stealth into someones ranks, ready, and then give 'em the tooth is unparalleled, I suppose. I don't have much experience in the stealth game except Kaan Mallock. :P

Anyway for Sakar, I think you have to go the slower route due to the lack of card draw. I mean, you could run Cloudracer to try and mimic Rathe, but I just don't see it working out really. You're only going to see really 6 maybe 7 cards a turn.

2017 GenCon Ancients Event - 4th & Top Elf
"We're just like Kevin Bacon!" - Anton Cyldragen
nilonka wrote:
there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Sat May 09, 2015 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]