View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Super Friends 
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Super Friends
So I was looking around and found this on the Alternate Format thread:

Quote:
Classic Rules : Old Stealth.. Old Loyalty Penalty.. Old Warlord trait rules for deckbuilding.. However, you do need to add the following rules: "All cards with the Warlord trait (except Zartoch) have the Unique trait." "Unless otherwise specified, all cards with the Warlord trait enter play one rank above their level for each class beyond the first." (Lucien might have to be considered Epic, however!)

You can now re-live the horror, um, I mean experience, that was Bobby, Duchess Superfriends, Tooth-Fairy, 3 Wise Men, Yaw Beatsticks...

Unfortunately I entered the game just prior to the launch of CE, and never experienced the aforementioned decks, but now I'm very curious as how they worked. I can imagine, and probably reproduce a simulacrum of those, but I would like to know if anyone have decklists of those, specially the more colorfully-named, like "Tooth-Fairy" (does it includes Taoth somehow?) and 3 Wise Man.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Post Re: Super Friends
cordeirooo wrote:
So I was looking around and found this on the Alternate Format thread:

Quote:
Classic Rules : Old Stealth.. Old Loyalty Penalty.. Old Warlord trait rules for deckbuilding.. However, you do need to add the following rules: "All cards with the Warlord trait (except Zartoch) have the Unique trait." "Unless otherwise specified, all cards with the Warlord trait enter play one rank above their level for each class beyond the first." (Lucien might have to be considered Epic, however!)

You can now re-live the horror, um, I mean experience, that was Bobby, Duchess Superfriends, Tooth-Fairy, 3 Wise Men, Yaw Beatsticks...

Unfortunately I entered the game just prior to the launch of CE, and never experienced the aforementioned decks, but now I'm very curious as how they worked. I can imagine, and probably reproduce a simulacrum of those, but I would like to know if anyone have decklists of those, specially the more colorfully-named, like "Tooth-Fairy" (does it includes Taoth somehow?) and 3 Wise Man.

I would guess (probably incorrectly) that the tooth fairy involves Yedraw’s Tooth.

Don’t have decklists.

Duchess Super Friends was just your average big fighters with big items decks. It worked back then but I wonder if it would be slow in an Open/Ancients style environment. Anyway, if you build something like that Redeemer is almost definitely unnecessary but definitely funny.

there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Kerebrus wrote:
Woodrow, your jank may have crossed the line this time.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 pm
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

3 Wise Men was Behlial right? Don't remember the deck listing but pretty sure it was Behlial.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 pm
Profile YIM
Hammer of Kor
Hammer of Kor

cordeirooo wrote:
Wow ... we're talking about 15 years ago or more! Sadly, the board's archives don't go far enough back - the OLD Temple had some few of these decks, but I don't find even any memorial throwbacks. Sad ...

"Tooth-Fairy" referred to a capable deck built around the interaction of Rathe and (yes, Woodrow) Yedraw's Tooth, with Assassination and Backstab playing critical roles. And, of course, card digging to insure you got the Tooth out quickly for Rathe.

"Robert Superfriends" - the original superfriends deck, before Brymin - was about Sir Robert the Vigilant plus pretty much all the fighter Warlords available. As I recall, Robert was primarily responsible for all subsequent summoning penalties for non-faction characters specifically because of this deck, because he would drop Gahid, Krun, Uthanak, Xod and more quickly into play without the restrictions we're used to. These guys plus a lot of items - especially movement - meant you had to deal with amazing beef; and of course, all those warlords' abilities were usable and abusable in the deck.

The original Warlord championship at Gencon was fought between these two decks, with the Tooth-Fairy coming out on top. It was after this competition that Robert and the superfriends concept - with him, anyway - got nerfed. But these decks developed right from the get-go; all the others came later.

Yaw Beatsticks ... as dwarf adherent, I played Gnorrow Yaw fairly frequently once I started getting into Gargoyles. Early, he wasn't much to speak of, primarily because there was a SUCH a limited selection of Gargoyles. It wasn't until Good & Evil, really, that he started to get some substantial punch to work with. I'm not going to say I know a Yaw Beatsticks deck by name, but if it's anything like what I used to run it featured a copy of Sjonegaard, with Magma Gargoyle and later Cobalt Gargoyle providing the primary "beatstick" aspect with the usual Dwarven item abuse and cleric support thrown in for good measure. (It was always a rather sad testament for the King of the Gargoyles that he was only considered a secondary character for use with other warlords, in this time ...)

After Assassins' Strike landed, with the Guild Masters (Black Tom of Corinth, Behlial, Duchess Brymin and Anton Cyldragen), Superfriends started to make a bit of a comeback. It never really materialized for wizards that I can recall, but the other three Guild Masters all had serious competitive options that dropped as time passed and more sets released. Brymin Superfriends (which was pretty much what Robert had, just under Brymin instead) was a fairly early example of this ... although most of what I recall of Brymin in this time still focused on Devs because their Cavalry options were really powerful and fast. Duchess plus Gahid and Sir Rhawn and all the beefy Dev fighter goodness and tons of steeds to run 'em up, with a sprinkling of non-Devs for particular abilities here and there ... it was a serious contender in its day.

But then, later on, Behlial would hit - Nigel, I think you're right that the Wisemen deck referenced was really all about him, and for good reason. Clerics under Behlial in particular were incredibly powerful, started fast, and could build and hold ranks so that you could then drop other, non-cleric Warlords and bigger critters (*cough*dragons*cough*) with no problem. As I have perhaps particular reason to know, this deck style would go on to take Worlds. That was the year Dominance was released, making its full debut in its utter fun ridiculousness at that year's GenCon.

Ah, what a traipse back into yesteryear this was ... 8)

Doctorfuzion wrote:
I just shut it down. It's got flaming bad juju written all over it.
CCP Mitnal wrote:
And there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth and great loss of forum posting rights

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am
Profile YIM
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Good stuff! I didn’t start attending tournaments until Tooth and Claw where I fell in love with a certain Fire Giant and never left his side. I missed out on the earliest shenanigans.

there are five people on this website anymore, Woodrow: me you, Nihil, Wendy, and they guy who loves Trench as a warlord. You can't afford to disagree. WE NEED THESE TOURNEY KITS!!!!!

Kerebrus wrote:
Woodrow, your jank may have crossed the line this time.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]