View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Home-made Challenge Guidelines and Resources 
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Home-made Challenge Guidelines and Resources
This post is for anyone and everyone that wishes to hold localized events and run home-made challenges. These are only basic guidelines to assist in setting up and running a challenge, please run your event and challenges as you see fit to please your own players.

The following guidelines are the major aspects that I would recommend be covered before advertising or offering any challenges:

Publicity. It is best to, at minimum, announce that you will have a challenge at your event, be it Overlord or Medusan Lord. This will give your players an opportunity to come to the event with a prepared deck to face you. You are not obligated to tell who, or what the Lord will be. In fact, it is more fun to make it a surprise.

Schedule. Have a scheduled time during your event to give out challenges; either before, or after your event. It is possible to run challenges in between or during the event if a number of players are not entered in certain events. Also, give an end time to either the whole event or until you will stop taking challenges; this way you are not stuck playing until all hours of the night.

Rules. Have the rules to the challenge prepared and displayed so that anyone can view and understand them. Make the time limit clear and the same for everyone. You can hold off on revealing the rules until directly before the first match, but not after. I would also recommend using the same deck for the entire challenge; switching decks has always been allowed, but frowned upon, as it could be considered meta against certain players.

Judge. Have an external judge ready that is not you or someone involved in the challenge. This will eliminate any conflict of interest in rulings that be may be needed in the challenge.

Prizes. You do not have to have a huge supply of Lords to give out. If you are lacking Lords; give out other prizes such as 4E legal rares, promos or other Lords you happen to have. As long as everyone knows a head of time what their prize will be, there should be no problem. You can cap the challenge at a number of defeats to ensure you have enough prize support for a later challenges and events. Random prizes are also a good idea.

Be prepared. Have a deck, prizes, your challenge rules, judges, any utensils and anything else you will need for the challenge ready to go; you don’t want to be constantly getting up during the challenge for things like a pen.

Be fair and fun. Remember that in a challenge event, you hope that someone will take the win and work hard for it. Have a deck that was at least tested to win and loose accordingly by some deck or deck style in the current environment. That also means do not play to your best ability, create an unfair match, or play so hard that your opponent has no chance of winning. Be fun, be fair.

Proxies. Proxies have always been allowed for Lords and challenges for the runner. You may or may not allow them for the challenger. Remember to be fair; if you allow proxies for one person, you should allow them for everyone.

After covering all of those aspects, you should be ready to hold your challenge event. Remember you can make up any type of event you see fit, I would see what your play group wants. I would also recommend, at least for your first few events, that you make challenges free for all. If not entirely free, then at least make challenging relatively cheap; i.e. buying a die or entering the event.

I have successfully run home made challenges for years and will continue to do so. I hope others can benefit from the fun I have been having.

In this thread I will also post challenges I have made up and tested. Anyone is free to use and edit anything I have posted; I only ask that you recognize me as the author. Thank you and happy gaming.

-Cyanide

Edit: Added Proxies.

Last edited by Cyanide on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Post Re: Home-made Challenge Guidelines and Resources
Helena Dascum 4E challenge.

I have her challenge also available in PDF format, please email Stevefox121@yahoo.com for a copy.

This is a set of made up rules for the game Warlord: Saga of the Storm. The game itself is licensed to Phoenix Interactive. This is not an official set of rules and I, the author of this document, am not affiliated with PI in anyway.

The Lost Ranger:

Helena Dascum Challenge Rules:

At any time that there are no cards in Helena Dascum's deck, shuffle her discard pile into her deck.

Helena Dascum gains the Warlord trait for the challenge and is considered to have the following text:

“After starting armies are revealed, Helena Dascum may search her deck for up to three items she may legally equip and equip them.”

React: After an opposing Warlord performs an Order: Draw a card or perform a melee strike.”

Helena Dascum Deck List
Characters:
Helena Dascum (Warlord)
Bosun Blacknose x2
Markappal Ivy x3
Items:
The King’s Lady x1
Leviathan Hide x2
Poison Arrows x2
Verdatha Mount x1
Blue Wyrm Helm x1
Repeating Crossbow x2
Sandbox x1
Collar of Damnation x1
Havat Iahn Stance x1
Actions:
Outmatched x2
Crush x1
Blood Thirsty x2
Beyond the Grave x2
Sniper Shot x2
Improved Bull Rush x1
Shelter the Weak x1
Great Cleave x2

How to play:
Start by always searching for Verdatha, Repeating Crossbow, Poison Arrows or The King’s Lady. Against tech style decks I start Blue Wyrm Helm as meta. What ever suits you best for the opponent you’re facing.

This deck is beatable by many styles of decks, especially react heavy and front liners. Once Helena is up front, her ranged shot is not helpful for winning; she will have to rely on attacking and whatever items and actions she pulls.

Take Bosun shots to begin the game. Move forward with Helena with the mount if you’re in fear of falling or if you need to move up to begin doing her built-in +6’s. Remember to spend any entering play characters with the Markappals until your opponent’s hand is depleted.

If you know your going to win; try not to one shot opponents a lot, especially if you just started playing against your own group. Give them a chance to win, or at least feel like they are winning. It is an Overlord. Once a few games come a little closer to Helena loosing, then unleash kill shots with Great Cleave and Sniper Shot more often.

Have fun with the deck and attempt various means of winning.

Recommendations for deck changes-

If you are winning too often:
Try starting one less item first. If that doesn’t work, trying toning down some items; like King’s Lady into an Axe of Tergoth and such.

If you are losing too often:
A good start is changing the Verdatha to the Wyvern Steed; you’ll hit front rank more often ready. And starting the King’s Lady a lot helps, it crushes ranks and inspires fear. If Krenthor is a problem try putting the Wyvern Gem in with the Lady, four wound shots will make Krenthor at least work and sweat for his kill. If Wizards are a real problem, run Magic Resistance.

These are only recommendations for changing the deck and rules. This is a home made but well tested challenge. Please have as much fun as possible.

This document was created by John S. Sylvester and is free to be reproduced, edited, distributed and displayed for the purpose of open gaming. For any other use, please contact me; Stevefox121@yahoo.com.

-John Sylvester, Cyanide

Edit: Added Blood Thirsty to deck, it was accidentally left out.

Last edited by Cyanide on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:15 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Xaxxon and Edric d'Illchant to come. I feel they didn't get enough table time.

Any requests, please simply ask.

-Cyanide

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 am
THUNDERMAKER!!!
THUNDERMAKER!!!

I didn't say this to you at the NJ event, but I feel as though I probably should here: I think it's really cool that you're taking the time to create your own rules for taking challenges for Helena and others. Ultimately, since it seems that AEG [Censor: Quack!] up this game really badly, then sold the license to PI who [Censor: Quack!] it up even worse (not meant to be an opening for debate, just a making a [Censor: gorram] point), it seems to me that the long-term survivability of Warlord is going to depend upon people like you taking the initiative and doing your own thing with the game.

Kudos to you, John. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

batesb wrote:
This is like sacrilege but...Jersey is Warlord.

bonefish wrote:
I've said it before & I'll say it again...if New Jersey stops playing then Warlord will cease to exist.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Baron-Administrator Darth Crimson

What section should I put this in? It isn't 'general' really, but I'd like to keep it stickied somewhere because it IS really useful.

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:51 pm
Profile YIM

Deck building and Strategy maybe?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't. * Captain of Team Real California Cheese * Denizen of Anything * Order of the Doomed Liver - Strategic Inebriator

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 pm
Profile YIM

Sounds perfect to me. :thumbsup:

Kasugoan's Redemption • Slayer of the Silvered Fount • Warlord Story Team, Retired • Order of the Doomed Liver-Darth Cider • 2009 ToL Keeper Fantasy League Champion • 2010 & 2011 ToL Football Pick 'em Champion
Draven (about DP9K) wrote:
Psh, im from kentucky. I rode him for YEARS

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

I'd have said "slaying the lords."

Meh.

I actually think there should be a separate forum labeled "Warlord Resources" where we can compile stuff like this.

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Wasteland's Wondrous Commie
The Wasteland's Wondrous Commie

Nihilistiskism wrote:
I'd have said "slaying the lords."

Meh.

I actually think there should be a separate forum labeled "Warlord Resources" where we can compile stuff like this.

-nihil

Nihil wins.

This is great Cyanide, happy you posted this. :thumbsup:

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:59 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Thanks guys, I was starting to think no one saw my post. :D

I think this will be a great way to get players back into the game, start thinking out of the box, and bring out their heavy duty cards for event time. Challenges are fun, competitive and well, challenging lol. It will hopefully also get smaller groups more into challenging and getting the feel for how challenges work. I remember when I first got into Warlord, challenges were usually seldom offered and only a few given before the runner would call it a night.

Updates:
Xaxxon is almost complete, a bit more testing.
Edric is coming.
Requests or comments?

Challenge issue to 4E players:
I have a new Medusan-Level Challenge that I will be hosting at any event I attend. It is free to challenge and there are multiple conditions for prizes during the challenge. The challenge consists of a returning Warlord, one who has amassed great power in his dormancy and has a vengeance to seek on 4E players!

-Cyanide

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 pm
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

Hello

The first ever home-made challenge event was held in NY, just before the holidays. King of Hearts was the first in the community to run an Overlord entirely player-made.

I received a good amount of positive feedback and as far as I’m told; everyone had fun. Player feedback was that he was a bit strong. However, I informed them that he was made for Sands of Oblivion. King of Hearts, who is the runner of this deck, has full control of the Lord; he may or may not tone the Lord down as he sees fit for his players.

And here he is:

Frenzy, Blood Drinker
Level 8 • Good • Fighter
+9/+7/+3 ATK • 19 AC • +13 Skill • 5 HP
Dwarf • Overlord • Barbarian • Medicine +0
Your other Dwarves have +3 AC. Your Dwarf Fighters are Barbarians. Your Barbarians inflict an additional wound with melee strikes. Begin the game with an additional Legal, Level 5 or lower Dwarf Fighter in rank 3 from your collection; remove the Dwarf from the game if it dies.

React: Before target Barbarian you control suffers more than one wound: Perform a Medicine check (DC 22) to reduce the wounds to a total of 1.”

React: Once per target per turn, after target Barbarian you control suffers one or more wounds: The Barbarian gains +5 ATK, Powerattack +5 and +1 Hit Point until the end of turn.”

React: After a Barbarian enters play, inflict a wound on that Barbarian: Move the Barbarian forward one rank, if possible. If he moved, he may perform an Order.”

Challenge Rules:
The following rules are in effect for the challenge:

Frenzy, Blood Drinker is considered to have the Warlord trait.

Cards in Frenzy, Blood Drinker’s discard pile may not be removed, targeted or affected by opposing player’s card effects.

At any time that there are no cards in Frenzy, Blood Drinker’s deck, immediately shuffle his discard pile into his deck (this includes drawing more than one card at a time).

Defeating Frenzy, Blood Drinker wins the match.

For each loss of the day, Frenzy, Blood Drinker’s additional starting character begins 1 rank closer (minimum rank 1). For each win of the day, Frenzy, Blood Drinker’s additional starting character begins 1 rank farther away (maximum rank 4).

-Cyanide

P.S. For deck list and instructions on how to play; please PM me or email me at Stevefox121@yahoo.com

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

A few of us came close at the unveiling: Niobe drew first blood, Morghen put up 3 wounds and Mad Mel had the stabby-death-combo-of-doom but missed the strike. Frenzy doesn't like Bosun Blacknose very much :lol:

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

That's really cool, and I'm honored that you all ran one of my challenges. I'm also glad you all had a blast, that's what I made this up for :D.

Yes I designed the challenge with that in mind, spending and stunning. And yea, Bosun is a weiner, lol. Great strategy! :thumbsup:

No one tried Queen Yahia? :wink:

-Cyanide

Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:12 am
Command Staff
Command Staff

Nope, no Yahia, though that's a vicious idea. Same goes for Sanga-Kish running Nemrah.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 am
Outer Circle
Outer Circle

This is a set of made up rules for the game Warlord: Saga of the Storm. The game itself is licensed to Phoenix Interactive. This is not an official set of rules and I, the author of this document, am not affiliated with PI in anyway.

Hello again,

OK so I have announced in two locations that I am creating/revealing a Medusan Level home-made Lord.

First let me say that this Lord will be completely FREE to challenge. That’s right; you can just sit down, play and be eligible for any prize available during the match. So of course it will also be very tough to beat, considering anyone can sit down and play back to back to back. There are also multiple conditions for prizes during the match, aside from winning the match of course.

And if you’re worried or concerned about prize support for such a difficult task; I am offering a full expansion set of the most recent set that I am able to purchase at that time as prize support. That’s almost $100 worth of cards for defeating the entire challenge. Not to mention additional prizes such as promos and older Lords.

Any card in the format is legal against me, including ones not tournament legal. This includes 4E Legal Medusan, Promo, or Ordo cards. If it is 4E bugged, and in your deck, it’s legal.

Proxies are allowed for the challenger as long as the card is released. Proxy must be a legible, print-out replica and must not add noticeable thickness to the sleeved card as to distinguish it from another. Black and white or color is fine.

Now I want to spoil it so that players can be prepared to face me at any event that I am able to host the challenge. So here he is…

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Zartoch, Lord of Illusions

Special Challenge Wording (Zartoch represents this card text):
Zartoch
Level 11 • Evil • Wizard
+9/+6 ATK • 17 AC • +20 Skill • 6 HP
Mercenary • Medusan Lord • Warlord • Illusionist • Scribe +0
You may have up to 5 copies of Zartoch in your deck.
React: Before this Zartoch is killed, if he has the Warlord trait: Another Zartoch you control permanently gains the Warlord trait.
Order: Spend all Zartoch you control: Search your deck for a Zartoch and put him in your hand.

Zartoch has the following text and abilities, but not considered printed on him:

“If this Zartoch has the Warlord trait, he may not be killed, stunned, spent, or moved by opposing card effects. Your deck may contain Legal Illusionists regardless of deck and rules restrictions. Your Non-Zartoch Illusionists have Stealth +0, are Mercenaries, and all faction references on your Illusionists are changed to Mercenary. While in play, your Illusionists have +1 Level, +3 ATK, AC and Skill, +3 to DC and strike rolls from spells, and inflict an additional wound with spells for each Zartoch you control.”

“Niobe may begin the game with any number of items equipped pictured in her art from anyone’s collection. Opposing Warlords may equip Epic Weapons regardless of level restrictions which may not be removed by Zartoch’s army.”

React: Before an Illusionist enters play, kill a Non-Zartoch Illusionist you control: Before fixing illegal ranks, put the entering Illusionist into play in the army and location of the killed character.”

React: After an Illusionist enters play, if this Zartoch is a Warlord: Search your deck for a wizard spell and scribe it to that Illusionist, who may immediately cast it normally. If the Illusionist leaves play, return all scribed spells attached to the Illusionist to your hand.”

React: Once per turn, after an Illusionist is targeted by an opposing strike or action, if this Zartoch is a Warlord: Put an Illusionist into play from your hand adjacent to the targeted character in the same orientation, which can cause illegal ranks and be in an opposing army. If an Illusionist entered play, redirect the strike or action to the new Illusionist, if possible. Return the original target to your hand if he did not have the Warlord trait.”

Win Condition:
Whenever an opponent defeats a Zartoch in play, he or she is entitled to a prize. If an opponent defeats the last Zartoch in play with the Warlord trait, he or she wins the match and is entitled to the match prize.

Zartoch, Lord of Illusions (non-canon fiction, based off of the fiction written by The Warlord Story Team)

Zartoch, long thought to be dead, has revealed his greatest illusion to the Lands of the Accord; his willing death in the hand of Syvonne Ashenstorm. A master illusionist, likely the greatest ever known, Zartoch has returned from his netherworld existence. While dormant in his ethereal prison, Zartoch has amassed great power; power that he is now prepared to unleash at those who defy him.

After years of being trapped in a magical barrier produced by his last spell, Zartoch has returned to claim his mantle as Lord of Illusions and wizards alike. Having rallied all sorcerers trained in the art of illusions, he seeks to travel across the lands delivering justice to where he sees fit.

Years in isolation have corrupted Zartoch and his way of thinking, for now he seeks to end all injustice, by ending all life. As his campaign wages war on the people and his magic inflicts destruction to the land with each passing battle, the nations of the Accord must rally to a cause and defeat this monstrosity before there are no lands left.

Yes, Zartoch.

There are noticeable weaknesses, as well as hidden weaknesses within the challenge rules and Zartoch’s abilities. I will leave it at that.

I hope to host this challenge at any event I attend, so have your decks ready. If anyone wants to contact me prior to an event to know if I’m attending or hosting, feel free. As my profile says, I’m an East coaster, but I’ve been know to travel.

Don’t forget your Epic weapon!

-Cyanide

This post was created by John S. Sylvester and is free to be reproduced, edited, distributed and displayed for the purpose of open gaming and practice before having their butt handed to them by Zartoch. For any other use, please contact me; Stevefox121@yahoo.com.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next