View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Basic Strategy for the Inexperienced 
n00b
n00b

Post Re: Basic Strategy for the Inexperienced
when you build a deck do a LOT of goldfishing...

see how consistent your initial hand is, how many things it can do, how often you have useless cards and how many those useless cards are. this way you learn what is efficient, and to cut out what you really don't need (so you can keep your deck down to 50 cards).

learn to rate cards' power level: if you are running a card you rate 6, and then you discover/buy a card you rate 10 in the same deck do a replacement, do not simply add. this way you keep the average rating of all the cards in your deck high, thus the deck is more efficient.

when you are in a gaming room don't be afraid to play with a strong player, you can only learn something, and when 2 strong players play together watch the game: look at their handcards, how they behave (do they bluff? how often? and what do they usually bluff with?) how they develop their game etc...

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:48 am
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Thought of something else.

Ever hear the phrase "The best defense is a good offense?"

It DOES NOT APPLY for Warlord. :hand:

A solid, stable strategy will 99/100 times easily defeat a strategy that is dependent upon just running forward and hitting stuff. I don't care how fast you're swinging, or how high that attack is or how many wounds you are doing per strike. The best decks are those that don't care how much damage the opponent is trying to deal. They circumvent it. That's why, as arcs progress, Clerics tend to rule the power-curve. Because by and large, Cleric decks can be built to circumvent wounds and strikes. If your deck is stable, it will win.

I piloted a cleric support Dallen Stormlost through 2 full seasons during Campaign Edition arc and never ONCE failed to at LEAST make the cut with him (Origins and Gencon included). I was able to do so because my deck focused upon reliability and stability.

Trust me. It works.

-nihil

Arven wrote:
You are correct on all counts.

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Quote:
That's why, as arcs progress, Clerics tend to rule the power-curve.

There's nothing more comforting than holding a Sieze Life with a ready lvl 5 cleric in play. Unless your opponent has crazy strike gen., multiwounding, or both, you know your ranks aren't breaking anytime soon.

I'm out--
:smoke:

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:32 pm
n00b
n00b

ok just got back inot playing the game after 2 very long years and i missed some good sets but anyway with some of the new cards such as most of the 9th level actions(mostly the fighter) with a small combo card called rise to power is in fact with the little guys aka the fighters of 1st level a noob combo that wins games 80-90 % of the time since most of the time a blitz lord is gunna be in the front anyway ( a blitz lord is a warlord who is ment for front line fighting like krun,artek,king zod,rac iron bone ect.) and that with a two wounder like donnar can be game rather fast add in blood thrusty and back swing and boom game order 3 add in greaves for support( open) and boom a noobish combo that works ( btw rise to power is a 5th level fighter atction that you play before any melee strike and the target og any other melee strikes as well as the one your currently targeting must make a check dc 12 + this fighters skill or move back one rank and spent) that way if you face cleric control you at the very least spend and stunn the ones they keep alive

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 am
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

Draxonrull wrote:
ok just got back inot playing the game after 2 very long years and i missed some good sets but anyway with some of the new cards such as most of the 9th level actions(mostly the fighter) with a small combo card called rise to power is in fact with the little guys aka the fighters of 1st level a noob combo that wins games 80-90 % of the time since most of the time a blitz lord is gunna be in the front anyway ( a blitz lord is a warlord who is ment for front line fighting like krun,artek,king zod,rac iron bone ect.) and that with a two wounder like donnar can be game rather fast add in blood thrusty and back swing and boom game order 3 add in greaves for support( open) and boom a noobish combo that works ( btw rise to power is a 5th level fighter atction that you play before any melee strike and the target og any other melee strikes as well as the one your currently targeting must make a check dc 12 + this fighters skill or move back one rank and spent) that way if you face cleric control you at the very least spend and stunn the ones they keep alive

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:
Thank you Nihil. That badass post was one of the most informative posts I've ever seen here...

Fintago wrote:
...Nihil...When someone puts a keyboard in front of you, you become the worst kind of person. I mean Christ.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

:rofl:

seriously

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:13 am
n00b
n00b

::sighs:: ok have fun poking at my spelling and what not but I thought this was to help the new guy not knock my spelling ...... :no:

Mon May 05, 2008 1:28 pm
Command Staff
Command Staff

Draxonrull wrote:

Donny,

It's Ross. Don't worry about your punctuation and spelling, just do your best. Some people here are really anal about that. I like the Rise to Power combo, I hear it is pretty good in our area. You'll have to try it out against a developed cleric deck so then I can whoop you back into shape come late August or early September.

Keeping the Faith,
-Ross

P.S. Here's the link for posting announcements (such as tournament announcements and erratas) for our Charleston/Mattoon area. http://www.temple-of-lore.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25780 Let the other guys know to sign up for the Temple and post there if they have internet access.

Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
n00b
n00b

wow, I thought warlord left the jerks in magic and yugioh until about 3 minutes ago...

good strategy? the best thing to do is always learn from your mistakes, something doesn't work? change it until it does, I have been working on my first deck that I am building alone for 2 months, I am just now getting it to casual play decency, let alone tournament play. Look at other people's decks, learn their strategies and adapt. There are so many ideas that are just horrible, you just don't know it yet. Changing 9 cards made my deck go from a 2 to a 6. I can't really give tips, because your area's style may be different than mine, when I first started playing with a couple of friends, games would be amazingly slow, taking an hour or so to finish a game, now, I am clashing with a more experienced gamer in 5 minute games. Always play people better than you, yeah, you will most likely lose, but you will learn strategy, and if you stick through it and try your hardest, you may get free stuff, and free stuff is always good

Sat May 31, 2008 4:28 am
n00b
n00b

your so right Heater and your Deck is more like a Number 1 deck you just glich sometimes I have seen you play that deck more than once in a good way and it was so fast and Brutal there was no time for me to recover your doing great man

Sat May 31, 2008 4:34 am
Inner Circle
Inner Circle

Nihilistiskism wrote:
Draxonrull wrote:

-nihil

:rofl: :lol:

I'm sorry... it was funny... Draxon, he can do a lot worse... lol... you got off lucky.

But seriously, lack of the above mentioned things makes it a little hard to read your post... which automatically gives off a bad image as to what your saying.... ie: people won't take it seriously.

At least pay attention to the red squiggly lines under the words when you're typing up a post... usually the spell check gives you the correct spelling for the word you wanted to use.

On topic: I think this thread is a great idea, and a great resource for incoming players.

I think most everything has already been said... so I'll avoid repeating.
David

Edit: wow... sry about the necromancy... I didn't notice the thread date... :?

Lost Paladin

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Lava Shark
Lava Shark

You're such a n00b, David. :-P

-nihil

Arven wrote:

Yamauta wrote:

Fintago wrote:

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
n00b
n00b

Advice to new players:

Play to win. To win is to have fun. In this game the name of the game is to kill or be killed (resource management); make your attacks to cancel thier attacks(dead characters can't attack you back). Don't go after spent characters they can't attack you again this turn, go after a ready character. Suicide blitz and a sense of the long term warlord killing works :D for me.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:52 pm
Rikk-tikk-tikki-tikki-tchk!
Rikk-tikk-tikki-tikki-tchk!

Except that sometimes the spent characters are going to be more of a threat next turn, especially if the opponent wins init. At which point going against the spent character is the correct answer. A spent character having 4 swings at 2 wounds each swing + possible reacts from hand will be a greater threat next turn than 2 characters with 2 swings each + reacts from hand most times.
It's not just this turn that you have to think about, but the turn after as well.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm
n00b
n00b

siddin wrote:
Except that sometimes the spent characters are going to be more of a threat next turn, especially if the opponent wins init. At which point going against the spent character is the correct answer. A spent character having 4 swings at 2 wounds each swing + possible reacts from hand will be a greater threat next turn than 2 characters with 2 swings each + reacts from hand most times.
It's not just this turn that you have to think about, but the turn after as well.

I thought this was basic strategy for the inexperienced? Of course there are exceptions to basic strategy! I really can't tell if you're going out of your way to be an asshat lately or if it's just coming naturally.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next